Skins caused problem

weeeman27bob

Right I had a problem when trying to change skins. I posted in the technichal forum, but I haven't yet got any replies.

Here is my problem

ight I'll try to explain this as best I can.

I was trying to add a new skin.

I went into sports interactive>data>skins and put the file in there.

I then went onto the game itself and the preferences menu. I hadn't read the instructions hugely throughly, so I ticked "Always reload Skin on confirm". The skin I had put did not come up on the list of skins. I thought I might have to move the skin, so I dragged part of the folder, into just the skins folder ( I'll show you a screenshot if you want). I hadn't unticked the "use skin caches option".

I then hit confirm, and 'loading image data for the new skin' came up. But it got stuck like that. FM was still responding, but even if I tried to quit it from inside, it wouldn't do anything. So I force quit FM, and tried reopening it. It got to the licensinng screen, then the loading screen, but then the screen just goes grey.

I tried it a couple more times, before deciding that a re-install might be in order. I uninstalled FM, but lots of files didn't uninstall mostly data ones.Things like my save games and tactics stayed in place. I re installed, but was faced with the same loading problem.

Is there away to fix this?

Do I need to delete all of my Fm related stuff and then reinstall?

Or delete something in my cache?

If you want anymore information, just ask

Anyone know of a way to fix this?

Ehat skin was it?

Did it have a left and right side version?

If so, did you copy both of them? If not the skin might not have some of the files needed, so wouldnt work.

It was called Blackin09.

In the skins folder, I put in the folder called Blackin09 Folder. That folder contained the following items: A read me, blackin09, blackin09-r ( a right handed version), blackin adds and a config.xml file.

I then thought that that might be wrong, so I draged the blackin09 file into the skins file by itself.

It was called Blackin09.

In the skins folder, I put in the folder called Blackin09 Folder. That folder contained the following items: A read me, blackin09, blackin09-r ( a right handed version), blackin adds and a config.xml file.

I then thought that that might be wrong, so I draged the blackin09 file into the skins file by itself.

You need at least the blackin09 folder directly inside your skins folder (balackin09-r too, if you want to use the right hand side version) Putting them in subfolders means they won't show up in the game, and just dragging the xml file out means it has no idea where all the other files are (hence the' loading image data for new skin' message that never goes away)

Mate I had exactly the same problem a month or so back just before the 2nd patch came out. I'm not that flash on computers so unfortunately can't remember EXACTLY what i did, but it did involve reseting all my preferences (which in turn involved enabling 'show hidden files and folders'), and I believe there is a section on how to do this in post at the top of the 'technical issues' forum. This worked for me mate and ended up being fairly straight forward so hopefully will work for you. If you can't figure out what to do, or someone with better understanding than me can't help you, reply on here because I will spend some time and go back and find out exactly what I did (I know how annoying this can be myself!).

The underlying issue here is that this version of the game doesn't uninstall itself properly, so that when errors like the above happen and you reinstall, you don't actually get a fresh install because the 'errors' are still there in your hidden preferences folder and 're-load' when you reinstall. I have the game through steam and reckon this should be fixed as a priority for the next patch as your average game user should not have to go to such ridiculous lengths to uninstall a game.

Ok went back and found my post with the same problem. Here it is: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=81794

If you go down to near the bottom, that is where you will find a link from 'Andrew' who kindly helped me out. Those links will take you to a SI site that gives tips on fixes for fm 06. I followed these and it worked for me.

Good luck!

found this too from the 'look here first' post on the technical fourm:

This appears to happen sometimes if the game encounters a problem and quits unexpectedly and settings become corrupt as a result of this.

Potential workaround:

Deleting your settings should in most cases:

- Make sure FM is not running.

- On Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Demo\settings\ (using Windows Explorer, Application Data is hidden by default but you should get to it by typing the path)

- On Windows Vista: C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Demo\settings\ (using Windows Explorer, AppData is hidden but you should get to it by typing the path)

- On Mac OS X: /Users/<your username>/Library/Preferences/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009 Demo/ (In the Finder Sidebar: Click your username, then go to Library -> Preferences -> etc..)

- Delete all sub-folders in this (the 'Settings' folder). Do not delete the entire "Football Manager 2009" folder in "Application Data"

- Now try to run the game.

Archived