FM2009: Official Gillingham FC Thread

Gillingham F.C Gillingham.png

Gillingham Football Club is an English professional football club based in the town of Gillingham, Kent. The only Kent-based club in the Football League, they play their home matches at the KRBS Priestfield Stadium. In the 2007–08 season, the club was relegated from Football League One.The club was founded in 1893 and joined the Football League in 1920. They were voted out of the league in favour of Ipswich Town at the end of the 1937–38 season, but returned to it 12 years later after it was expanded from 88 to 92 clubs. Twice in the late 1980s they came close to winning promotion to the second tier of English football, but a decline then set in and in 1993 they narrowly avoided relegation to the Football Conference. Between 2000 and 2005, Gillingham were in the second tier of the English league for the only time in their history, achieving a club record highest league finish of eleventh place in 2002–03.

Background

Name: Gillingham

Nickname: The Gills

Founded: 1893

Home Kit: Blue and White

Away Kit: White and Blue

Rivals: -

Minor Rivals: Swindon, Millwall. Brighton, Maidstone, Fulham

Legends: Andy Hessenthaler

Icons: Steve Bruce, Robert Taylor, Mark Saunders, Keith Peacock

Favoured Personnel: Jim Stannard, Adrian Pennock, Andy Thomson, Ron Hillyard, Paul Smith, Joe Dunne, Barry Ashby, Peter Taylor, Tony Cascarino, Iffy Onuora, Nicky Southall, Steve Lovell, Tony Pulis, Steve Butler, Chris Hope, Leo Fortune-West, Vince Bartram, Dave Mehmet

League: Coca-Cola League 2

Media Prediction: 1st

Team Captain: Barry Fuller

Vice Captain: -

Finances

Estimated Value: £1.4m

Loan Debt: £3.3m

Balance: £731,869

Transfer Budget: £0k

Remaining Wage Budget: £3k

Stadium and Training

Ground: Priestfield, Gillingham

Season Ticket Holders: 2000

Average Ticket Price: £20

Average Season Ticket Price: £349

Training Facilities: Average Training Facilities

Youth Facilities: Adequate Youth Facilities

Squad

1 GK Simon Royce

2 DF Barry Fuller

3 DF John Nutter

4 MF Stuart Lewis

5 DF Simon King

6 DF Garry Richards

7 MF Andrew Crofts

8 MF Mark Bentley

9 FW Gary Mulligan

10 FW Simeon Jackson

11 MF Nicky Southall

13 GK Chris Kiely

14 MF Adam Miller

15 MF Rory Hill

16 MF Stuart Thurgood

17 FW Andy Pugh

18 MF Tayler Thomas

19 DF Sean Clohessy

20 MF Charlie Howard

21 FW Dennis Oli

22 DF Tom Wynter

23 GK Alan Julian

24 DF Danny Walder

25 FW Luis Cumbers

26 MF Curtis Weston

27 DF Leigh Mills

28 MF Jack Payne

29 MF Tom Murphy

30 FW Mark McCammon

31 MF Albert Jarrett

First Teamers in Bold

Squad Anaylsis

Goalkeepers

Number One keeper is Simon Royce who is ex charlton keeper he is good enough for league 2 but will nedd replacing soon as is 36 years old.

Alan Julian is okay at best and would need replacing if you got promotion as he is not good enough.

Defenders

Probably the strongest area of the team , with players like Nutter, King, Mills and Clohessy. The Central defenders are the strongest and would be very good if you got Mills on a permanet deal but is unlikely ,so try to extend his loan.King is very good as well and should hang on to him. Nutter Is good at left-back but lacks fitnees and Clohessy should be replaced as he is the weak link. Garry Richards is good back up and should be kept for sub.Barry Fuller can be used at right-back and might be a better option than Clohessy.

Midfield

Crofts is the strongest player of the team and should play in the middle alongside Stuart Lewis and they will be good enough. But later on in the season try and replace Lewis. On the Right is Bentley ,Not david but Mark, he is a decent player but a better central player than wide so you could use him in the centre along side Crofts and stick Oli out on the right who has pace. The weakest player is Adam Miller At the left of midfield so could place Oli here or Jarrett but i would stick with Miller and see how he performs but is the weakest player of the team. There is also Weston who wil provide Back-up.

Strikers

The best two are Jackson and McCammon , Jackson for his pace and finishing and McCammon for his heading so could be used as a target man. Also Mulligan Who will provide decent back up but maybe a loanee is needed.

Sign a Couple of loanees to compete with the squad maybe Fred Sears and Jack Collison!.

Have fun playing with Gillingham!

How did you end up on the FM Forums then? Your parents are stricter than Dhueys :D

I'd prefer being allowed to have a gf than play FM:)

Wouldn't you?

Anyway, I had FM 08 on 360, and I only joined the forums 'cos it weren't working :*(.

Besides, I often play FM 09 at my cousin's house.

well done mate on making this, gills is a massive challenge! I live in chatham, about 10 minutes from gillingham and have quite a few mates which are gills supporters, they are money stricken and havent experienced success in such a long time

Ive given this a go! Everton fan really but was once offered trials for the gills when Mr Pulis was in charge (broke leg before I managed to show him what I could do (which wasnt a lot lol)) Was playing for Bexhill Town at the time.

Anyway, I digress, I have managed to make a few loan signings ready for my 1st season in charge, Lucas Justkiewicz and Henri Lansbury. Im thinking that should be enough for my promotion drive, cant believe the chairman didnt give me any options of league finish!

Nope, not sold anyone, im giving everyone a chance to prove themselves.

Just had 1st pre-season game v Chelsea at home and was hammered 3-0 but I did put up a good fight and Royce was spectacular, he kept the score down.

Really building up some squad now, bought Ever Guzman, a promising striker from Mexico who I bouhgt on my Everton save for £0 + 10% I have Steve Bruce and Andrew Crofts telling me that this was an excellant peice of business.

Then I watched the England trialists and found 3 potential stars:

Paulo Monteiro, Portuguese DC, Ex-Charlton (5 stars)

Zoumana Bakayoko, French DL Ex-Millwall (4 stars)

Terry Dixon, Irish AM Ex-Spurs (4stars)

Got them all on 4 week trials

Next up - Sunderland @ home with their new manager in charge...Glenn Hoddle!

Forgot to mention, asked the board for a parent club and the options they came back with was West Ham, Crystal Palace or Chelsea!

Chelsea was a great choice, an extra £76k a year AND they sent me a youngster by the name of Ricardo Fernandes (AMC)

I'm thinking of starting in League 2, as I'm really bored of the Prem! I used to live near Wycombe so was favouring them but someone recommended I give it a go as Gillingham. How are you guys finding it?

Im finding it a challange!

My players are usually around 50% fit by the end of the match! Except for a few of course. Players are difficult to sign without going over your budget (im currently £3k over budget lol)

But the players do gel together, im currently 2nd in league, played 5, won 4 and lost to top place! Also got knocked out of the league cup by Palace in the 2nd round after making an unexpected win against Southend in the 1st round.

My transfers have been (so far) well received, here is a list of everyone to date with a brief summary of their stats (including where I play them):

Ever Guzman (ST PLAYED 7 SCORED 2 ASSIST 3 MOM 0 AVG 6.86 Cost £0 + 10% Value £40,000)

Scott Sutter (DR PLAYED 5 SCORED 0 ASSIST 0 MOM 0 AVG 7.28 Cost £0 + 10% Value £14,000)

Sander Westerveld (GK PLAYED 6 CONCEDED 6 MOM 0 CLN 2 AVG 6.57 Cost £0 Value £12,000)

Allesandro Pistone (DL PLAYED 1 SCORED 0 ASSIST 1 MOM 0 AVG 7.40 Cost £0 Value £14,000)

Zoumana Bakayoko (DL PLAYED 1 SCORED 1 ASSIST 0 MOM 1 AVG 6.57 Cost £0 Value £26,000)

Henri Lansury (MR PLAYED 7 SCORED 0 ASSIST 2 MOM 1 AVG 7.24 LOAN 6 MONTHS WAGES £0PW Value £1.6M)

Lukas Justkiewicz (ST PLAYED 7 SCORED 3 ASSIST 1 MOM 1 AVG 7.17 LOAN 12 MONTHS WAGES £0PW Value £1.3M)

Lukas Justkiewicz (ST PLAYED 7 SCORED 3 ASSIST 1 MOM 1 AVG 7.17 LOAN 12 MONTHS WAGES £0PW Value £1.3M)

Ricardo Fernandes (MC PLAYED 3 SCORED 0 ASSIST 1 MOM 0 AVG 6.63 LOAN 12 MONTHS WAGES £0PW Value £200K)

Unless someone asks me not to ;), my next update will be at the end of the January transfer window :)

Ahh Wicked

And still in first season as havent had game long, but in third place which im happy with.

Just sold Royce and Lewis As i brought Konstantopolous from Coventry on loan, as well as Southall, Clohessy and Jarrett leaving the club.Brought in Boyle, Barcham on loan, Collison on loan, Kupisz on a free, Delicate who is a ledge! as well as Langley and Babayaro!

Good luck mate and keep me updated!

i am 5th in league 2 on my first season my home form is great but my away form is not so good to be honest lol i have won 8 out of 11 at home and drawn the other 3 but i have lost 7 away games. i have made 4 signings and sold 2 decent players my first signing was jorden rhodes young forward from ipswich i signed him for 130k started off playing poor but has scored 5 in 5 a must buy or if you can afford him defo sign him on loan. my second signing was billy jones from crewe a left back who loves to get forward i got him on the cheap 25k if you can sign him for under 70k get him 6 assists in about 24 games and my best signing was andy bishop from bury he has got 14 goals in 20 games just always seems to pop up got him for 100k plus mark bentley plus 35% sell on. and my other signing who is a rock at the back ian pearce ex fulham cb ok he is old and slow but he wins everything you can get him on a free at start of season trust me get him you can thank me later lol my new gk is anderson from reading i think only paid 12k plus 20% sell on. to get these players i had to sell. the chairman accepted a bid of 750k for andrew crofts and i sold oli for 250k plus royce to millwall for 150k and nutter to ipswich for 500k. i also got knocked out off the paint trophy in the semis after beating southend and crewe so the future looks good for my side.

In December 2011, Championship.

Holidayed the 08/09 season without a manager as you're expected to do wonders first time out with The Gills. Added myself in for the second season and managed to win League Two. Second season in charge and after being asked to get a mid table slot I finished 2nd and got promoted to The Championship.

First season in The Championship now and I was asked to avoid relegation. 22 games in now and I'm currently sitting 6th so am doing better than I expected.

I took the charge in december 2008 (started as unemployed). 9th in first season second and promotion in second.

Now we are fighting for promotion to CCL, currently in third place.

My team (4-4-2):

Crowther (loan from QPR) -

Richard Duffy, Kyle Bartley (loan from Arsenal), Richie Byrne, Gavin Skelton -

Alex Nicholls (Jay Simpson loan from Arsenal), Andrew Croft, Damiano Tommasi, Jaime Peters -

Nathan Delfouneso, Ruben Ramos (Warren Feeney)

The Gills, what can I say, I have supported them since I was small as they were my local team. I have been to Priestfield on a number of occasions to see them play, just mention the celery song to any Gills fan and they will know what you mean!!

It is such a shame that they have such financial problems. I read a report that they can't even afford a scout!

Having managed them in every version of Champ and Fm, 09 is certainly the hardest it has been.

I'm currently 1st after 5 games and my plan is to take them all the way to the Premiership!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Played with them until the Championship.

In League 2 Geoff Horsfield was a fairly solid free transfer for one season. Jay Simpson and Danny Rose were amazing loan deals. Also Shelton Martis should be transfer-listed at West Brom, I had a £0 bid accepted and he became one of my best players. Anthony Grant cost me about £7,000 and can play in a variety of positions relatively well.

From the original squad Royce, Mulligan (top scorer) and especially Crofts stood out.

In League 1 I got Henri Lansbury on loan as Simpson wouldn't come and he was equally as good. I had Tottenham as a feeder club at this stage too, players such as Dean Parrett and Yuri Berchiche stood out on loan deals. The best signing I made was Tom Heaton to replace the ageing Royce, his contract at Man United expired so he was a free signing. He gathered interest from many clubs from the Championship/lower Premiership and requested a transfer. But when I left him out for about 10 games he withdrew his request.

Also a young polish defender, Przybylski, looks a good prospect on a free transfer. Another free was Bischoff from Arsenal, who I sold just under a year later for £1 million. Grant Basey is well worth looking at too. Also bought in ex-Gills favourtie Danny Spiller from Millwall who is fairly old but still a great backup across the midfield.

In the Championship loan deals such as Rhys Murphy from Arsenal, Daniel Subjotic (sp?) from Portsmouth and Andros Townsend from Spurs are all good attacking players. Nade from Hearts and Sandaza from Dundee I believe are great League 1/Championship strikers.

Overall Crofts is someone you really need to keep hold of, in five seasons that I played he won Player of the Year for Gillingham every season. It really is a great challenge

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Started Gills game in 9.0.3, In mid September on 1st Season. Made a couple of good Freebies, send scouts out to Norway or Sweden loadz of good £0 value players. Got West Ham as feeder they sent me Fred Sears banging in the goals left right centre. 3rd in league 1 point behind Port Vale.

Good signings so far have been:

Marvin Andrews CB Free Transfer

Che Wilson RL Full Back Free Transfer

• 1 month later...

Archived