FM09: Southend United Thread - There's only one team in Essex!

PaulHartman71

Southend United FC Guide - FM09

southend_united.gif

Intro -

Southend United is an English football team based in the town of Southend, Essex. The club currently plays in Football League one, having been relegated from the Football League championship at the end of the 2006-07 season.

The club was formed in 1906 in the local 'Blue Boar' public house which is around 50 yards away from Southend's current Stadium 'Roots Hall'. Roots Hall was the clubs first stadium, but the club soon moved to a revovated Amusement park on the Kursaal and played there until 1955. In 2008 after a long planning battle, the club's proposed move to Fossets Farm was approved.

One of our most memorable victories was in the fourth round of the League Cup against current trophy holders Manchester United on 7th November 2006. United fielder a side with 10 internationals including Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney. Southend won the game 1-0 thanks to a 30 yard free kick from Freddy Eastwood. Goalkeeper Daryl Flahavan was voted man of the match after some world class saves, mainly from Cristiano Ronaldo. With this meeting being the only ever between the two sides, it left Southend as the only team in English football to have a 100% record against Manchester United.

Steve Tilson, current manager (and former player) began a revolution when he took over in late 2003. In his first season as manager of the club Southend reached their first ever national cup final in 2004 when they met Blackpool in the final of the LDV Vans Trophy at the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff. Over 20,000 fans travelled from all over the world to be part of history (including myself i'd hasten to add) but we lost 2-0.

In 2004-05 Southend reached the LDV Vans Trophy final again (We lost 2-0 again, this time to Wrexham). However our third trip to the Millennium Stadium ending in success as we defeated Lincoln City to gain promotion to League 1!

On April 26 2006 we were promoted to the Football League Championship, they were crowned League Champions at Roots Hall after beating Bristol City 1-0 in front of almost 11,400 fans (who when the final whistle sounded all went crazy on the pitch, again i'd hasten to say I was one of them). This match was also Shaun Goater's last professional game, fans from his former club Man City made a special trip down to Southend to give him a special send-off. (I'd also love to add that the team we were fighting to become champions with were Colchester United :D)

We didn't do very well in the Championship and were relegated back to Leauge One. Freddy Eastwood and Jamal Campbell-Ryce were both sold - to Wolves and Barnsley respectively. Despite this, we managed to finish 6th in League 1 last season qualifying for a play-off place against Doncaster. We drew the home leg 0-0, then in Doncaster we lost 5-1. However I would like to add we still had a brilliant time in Doncaster, if you watched the game you would have seen we were cheering at the end more than Doncaster (don't ask me why, I didn't know either)

Background -

Name: Southend United F.C.

Nickname(s): The Shrimpers, The Seasiders & The Blues

Founded: 1906

Fierce Rivals: Colchester, Leyton Orient

Other Rivals: West Ham

Legends: David Webb, Steve Tilson

Club Icons: Stan Collymore, Freddy Eastwood, Adam Barett, Shaun Goater, Spencer Prior, Chris Powell

Favoured Personnel: Kevin Maher

Media Prediction: 6th

European Competition: None

Team Captain: Adam Barett

Vice Captain: Alan McCormack

Staff -

Assistant Manager - Paul Brush

GK Coach - Lee Turner

Youth Coach - Luke Hobbs

Youth Coach - Bill Garner

Youth Coach - Ricky Duncan

Youth Coach - Mark Bonner

Physio - John Stannard

Physio - Ben Clarkson

Finances -

Estimated Value - £2.5M

Balance - £1.9M

Transfer Budget - 250K (Promotion)

Wage Budget - 36.07K p/w (Promotion)

Current Wage - 31.57K p/w

Stadium & Facilities -

Ground: Roots Hall (due to move into the 22,000 capacity Fossett's Farm on 1.7.2010

Capacity: 11,800 all-seater

No. of Season Ticket Holders - 5,701

Average Season Ticket price - £350

Average Ticket Price - £19

Reserve Stadium - None

Training Facilities - Average training facilities

Youth Facilities - Average youth facilities

First Team Squad -

Ian Joyce - GK

Steve Mildenhall - GK

Anthony Grant - DR,DM,MC

Osei Sankofa - DRC,DM,MC

Adam Barrett - DLC

Peter Clarke - DC

Simon Francis - D/WB R , MRC

Dan Harding - D/WB L

Luke Thurlbourne - DM,AMC

Kevin Betsy - AM R

Peggy Lokando - AMRC

Franck Moussa - AMRC

Damian Scannell - AM R

Alex Revell - AM R, ST

James Walker - AM R, ST

Jamie Forshaw - AM L, ST

Alan McCormack - AMC

Lee Barnard - ST

Dougie Freedman - ST

Francis Laurent - ST

Squad Analysis

Goalkeepers -

Steve Mildenhall is definitely the better out of the two Goalkeepers, he's a good Goalkeeper and should do well in League 1. He's not a Goalkeeper that will push for a place in the Premiership (if you are promoted to the Championship), but I think he's good enough to play for a Championship team. Don't forget he is 30, so has a good few seasons left in him. Ian Joyce is 22, I can see him getting better, but he wont be as good as Mildenhall, he's probably good enough to play for a League 1 side, but i'm not sure that i'd hang onto him.

Defenders -

Defence is a fairly good position for the club. Your back 4 (if you choose to play 4 in defence) would be Simon Francis at right back, Adam Barett and Peter Clarke in the middle, and on-loan from Ipswich Dan Harding. You have other players, Anthony Grant, Osei Sankofa that are good enough back-up, but i'd definitely sign another versatile player incase you get a few injuries, perhaps bring in a player on-loan. It should be made aware that in the reserves you have another left-back in Johnny Herd, who will become decent, but nowhere near as good as Harding.

Midfielders -

You've got a lot of midfielders, not all of them that great. The best of the bunch is Alan McCormack who would be best suited to play in the middle. With him in the middle (again if you choose to play 4-4-2) would be Anthony Grant, who is more of a defense minded player, so you can set him to play a defensive midfield role, allowing McCormack to go forward. McCormack starts with a 3 month injury, so you may need to bring in another play to play instead of him while he is injured. If you choose 4-4-2, the best right midfielder of the bunch would probably be Damian Scannell who's pretty good, but is only ever going to be good, nothing more. The left side is definitely where you need to buy, the only left-sided midfield playing is 18 year old Jamie Forshaw who is pretty crap at the moment, but will eventually become quite a good player. You will definitely need to sign a left midfielder though, two possible signings are Preston's Leis Neal, and Swansea's Andrea Orlandi. Both fairly young, and cheap enough so that you will have a good chunk of your 300K transfer budget remaining. Alex Revell and James Walker are decent back-up, but are better up-front. You should sell one of them in my opinion, James Walker will probably end up a better player than Revell, so Revell should be sold imo, but it's your choice. Franck Moussa is decent back-up in the center of midfield, and should become quite good. Kevin Betsy is also decent back-up for the moment, however if you wish to sell him and sign a younger replacement then you definitely should go for it. Luke Thurlbourne is another 18 year old in the squad, he is rubbish at the start, and doesn't really become that much better so if you wish to get rid of him to reduce wages then you should do so. The other 18 year old Peggy Lokando isn't great at the start, but will develop into a decent player, so keep him if you can.

Strikers -

Your top two strikers Lee Barnard and Dougie Freedman, who are both good players for League 1, both players would do quite well in the Championship in my opinion. Barnard is the younger of the two, at 23 he has a bright future in the game. However Freedman is 34, and will probably only last 1 or 2 more seasons. You should definitely look into signing a younger player to replace Freedman next season, and push for a place in the first team this season. Your best back-up is James Walker, who will become fairly decent he's got the potential to be as good as Freedman. Alex Revell is also decent back-up, but as I said earlier i'd sell him as him and Walker are very similar players. Francis Laurent is another back-up player, not as good as Revell or Walker at the moment, but he's got the potential to be as good as them. The other back-up is Jamie Forshaw, who as I said earlier, is better at AML and is crap at the moment, he will however develop into Championship quality in my opinion. If I was you i'd sign a player to push Freedman for his place and provide back-up, and also replace Freedman next season. The better alternative would be to get a player on loan this season, and then sign a replacement for him next season.

Recommended Formation -

Well, I pretty much always play with a 4-4-2 of some kind so here is what I would recommend if you didn't sign anyone -

GK - Mildenhall

DR - Francis

DL - Harding

DC - Clarke

DC - Barrett

MR - Scannell

ML - Forshaw

FC - Barnard

FC - Freedman

You definitely need to sign a fairly versatile defender, a left midfielder and should look into either signing a young Striker, or getting one on loan for this season and then signing one next season. Hope you enjoy playing as The Blues :thup:

P.S - I'd like to thank xonnk - For A; Inspiring to make this thread as their couldn't possibly be a Colchester thread without a Southend one; and B; Providing me with a brilliant little lay-out of all the details I needed to include

Little update on my season, just finished August -

Transfers - I spent 95K on 24 year old ex-Swansea player Andrea Orlandi. He's the left midfielder that the side needed. In the games he's played in so far he's looked the part, definitely worth the 95K I payed for him. Elsewhere i've brought defenders Rhys Williams and Jordan Spence in, mainly as back-up as we didn't have a lot of defenders. Jordan Spence is more likely to play out of the two, Rhys Williams was brought in in-case we had a major injury crisis. Our top scorer Lee Barnard has picked up an injury and will miss about a month, so i've brought in Slovakian forward Zoltan Harsanyi from Bolton for 3 months. The squad looks like this. A fairly strong squad, I can't see myself spending big in January unless we are outside of the play-offs. Which judging by our first few games, and current league position, is unlikely.

I've been impressed with the team that's played so far, Orlandi has looked very promising so far out wide on the left, Lee Barnard was on fire before he got injured, I can only hope he comes back from his injury and play as well up-front as he did in August. Our League Cup run ended quite prematurely with the 1-0 loss to Watford, a bit saddening that despite the fact they dominated the game they didn't score the winner until the 87th minute. Hopefully now we can focus on the League and the promotion to the Championship that we want/deserve.

Hi ya all. May i take this opportunity to wish everyone a Happy New Year.

Since purchasing FM09 a few peeps i know have started many games and struggled to get in to the game. On the day of purchase like most versions of the game I take the reigns at Southend United. I have acheived successes like on FM07 in the 2017/18 season I managed to win the Premier League.

On Fm 09 im in to my 7th Season and its January 2015. I'm currently 2nd in the premier league. Sadly none of the original starting squad are there, the last to leave was Simon Francis to Derby in 2014. But one thing i have realised that rather than going out and spending loads of money on over priced players the club are willing to invest on the training and youth facilties to which after 7th seasons I have state of the art facilties. Along with a decent new stadium and top corporate facilties the future of the club on FM09 looks grand.

My reserve team are full of youth players through the ranks. Hopefully in a few seasons time they will be playing and challenging the likes of Barcelona!!

Wouldn't all this be grand if this was to come true in real life. Say 1st game in 2009 an away win at Chelsea 2-0!!

Laters people. I shall inform you of any success's

I've nearly finished my first season in charge of the mighty Southend United. I have 1 more game to go in the league againast Leeds and i have already confirmed my spot in the playoffs so hopefully i can bring Championship football back to Roots Hall. Been a pretty frustrating season where i have been beating the teams high up in the league but then losing to teams in the relegation battle. I managed to get Arsenal as my Parent club which was good. Hopefully next season i will get a couple more decent players on loan from them.

Transfers In:

Gabriel Zakuani - Fulham loan

Martin Devaney - Barnsley £140k

Rhys Murphy - Arsenal loan

Mark Randall - Arsenal loan

Bakary Soumare - Chicago free

Miguel Cevasco - Universitario £40k

Pierre Alexandra Pluchino Galuppo - Caracas £9k

Transfers Out:

Richie Foran - Notts County £3k

Charles Ademeno - Torquay £1k

Damian Scannell - Cheltenham £5k

You wanna try and get Harvard Nordviet in on loan, versatile and strong. Henri Lansbury is a good one too. Nathan Tyson is a very good striker and gets the goals in.

On my game im about to start the 9th season, I have been asking for the board to expand Fossets Farm but the council have said no, so i think its going to be a 22,000 capacity for me, unless they build a new one!!

I'm now over halfway through my 2nd season and currently sitting in 3rd 7 points behind 2nd place southampton but i do have 2 games in hand. I have lacked a decent goal scorer this season and i'm pretty desperate for someone who will score regulary for me. I just had a look at Tyson and he is playing for Colchester so i doubt i will be getting him from my rivals and he is out of my price range anyway!

Damn Southend Counil! hehe. Out of interest what season do i actually move into Fossets Farm?

Hurrah i got promoted beating Scunthorpe 3-0 in the playoff final. Lets hope i survive the championship!

I'm in June 2010 now and i still haven't moved into Fossets Farm.

Cheers Foddepa15. I shall have a look at that player.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad i have fellow shrimpers on ere, i'm in my 2nd season with Southend. Finished 5th 1st season but lost in play-off final 2-1. Now 4th in 2nd season with Southampton, Scunthorpe and Ipswich all infront of me and running away with it. Also got Arsenal as my parent club and got decent players on loan. Gavin Hoyte, Jay Thomas (I think, at work atm so cant remember) also got Harvard Nordviet on loan in second season.

Just like IRL i have macca, walker, revell (Broken leg, coincedence!), laurent injured.

Sold Peter Clarke in 1st season for 600k (Board accepted it which annoyed me) but brought in a alot of players (Mainly youngsters) to improve squad. Rory Delap was my big signing this season (140k) along with ian morris (95k) from Scunthorpe.

Will update everyone a bit more when im home actually playing fm.

• 1 month later...

I Started a game with Southend on the 9.3.0 patch. As usual, I made quite a few transfers:

Players in:

Khalilou Fadiga (free)

Matej Rapnik, Bravo (free)

Celestine Babayaro (free)

Mark Randall, Arsenal (loan)

Seyfo Soley (free)

Vincent Acapandié, Auxerre (150k)

Tony de Groot, TOP Oss, (free)

Georgi Kinkladze (free)

Rene Mihelic, Maribor (50k)

Iriome, Tenerife (24k)

Stanley Aborah, FC Den Bosch (80k)

Jonathan Crawford, Aberdeen (10k)

Waldir Saenz (free)

Esmir Sabic, Baulmes (free) --> on loan to Barnet

Erick Delgado, Sporting Cristal (free, will join in January)

Players out:

Damian Scannell, York (5k)

Alex Revell, Norwich (180k)

So, starting 11 looking as follows

GK: Mildenhall

DR: Francis

DL: Babayaro

DC: Clarke / Dervite

DC: Barrett

ML: Fadiga / Mihelic

MR: Aborah / Iriome

MC: Randall

MC: McCormack

FC: Saenz

FC: Barnard / Acapandié

11 games in I've been struggling with tactics from time to time and find myself 6th.

• 2 weeks later...

i have manged to sign a Czech under 21 international, Petr Janda, who my scout as Assman think is a decent signing for championship clubs

he will probably be my only key signing in the first transfer window, i will also try to bring in some backup

also not happy that i didn't get a parent club

Time for a little update. I ended up doing pretty well for the rest of the 1st season and finished 2nd behind Millwall, winning promotion. Up the Shrimpers! Saenz was really solid for me and was league 1 top scorer with 26 goals to his name. Unfortunately, being 36 now, he declined quite severely during the summer and became practically useless, leaving me cursing that I signed him for a 2 year contract with £5k a week. Erick Delgado was class after he joined in January, and there have been speculations in the media that ManU are about to make a £7.5M (!) offer for him...

So, first season in the Championship, I figured I was in for struggle to stay up... transfer budget was a whole £75k. Luckily there turned out be quite a lot of free transfer goodness available for an early shrimper.

Starting 11, playing with a diamond formation now:

Gk: Delgado

DL: Lee Naylor (free)

DR: Cristian (free) / Daniel Opare (90k)

DC: Clarke / Tomas Repka (free)

DC: Cacapa (free) / Barrett

DM: Raffaele De Martino (free) / Keith Southern (free)

MC: Stephen Hughes (free)

MC: Lee Bowyer (free)

AMC: Andrea Russotto (free)

TS: Richard Cresswell (free)/ Borja Rubiato (free)

FS: Darius Vassell (free)

Also brought in Stuart Taylor (free) and Josh Lambo (90k) ja goalkeeping backup, (Sold Mildenhall for 50k and released Ian Joyce) Scott Golbourne (80k) and a few cheap regens.

As you can see, I brought in a whole new starting 11 on free transfers,,,perhaps a bit unrealistic...:( Naylor, De Martino, Bowyer and especially Russotto are looking very good. Vassell was a bit of a disappointment, however. He's got pace, yes, but can't score no matter how good the chance. (His finishing is 8, so what did I expect exactly?) I ended up selling him to Barnsley in January for £1M, so at least I got a handsome profit for him. I also sold Cristian to MK Dons for £450k to provide more playing time for the very promising Opare, as well as Cacapa for 50k as he was getting injured again and again and his attributes declined in the process. I've been having quite a lot of injuries in general, might have to adjust my training... I'm now looking for a new striker to replace Vassell with about £1.5M to spend. My young strikers Acapandie and Denis Alibec (an 18-year-old Romanian) can't really do job in the Championship just yet.

Anyhow, now in mid January 2nd season I'm 9th in the Championship, so doing alright. I was actually pushing for a playoff place before I hit the current injury crisis and a string of bad results.

• 2 weeks later...

It's christmas time 2010 now, and Southend is sitting firmly at 2nd in the Champioship. My starting 11 looks as follows:

GK: Delgado

DL: Naylor / Mariano Pernía (free)

DR: Opare / Marco Cassetti (free)

DC: Georgi Ganchev (regen) /Barrett

DC: Matthew Kilgallon (free) / Alex Bruce (free)

DMC: De Martino

ML: Eliseu (free)

MR: Aborah / Cassetti / Bowyer

AMC: Russotto

ST: Javier Saviola (free) / Alibec

ST: Jermaine Beckford (free) / Bobby Zamora (free)

• 2 weeks later...

1st season n the premiership now, looks like we're going to finish 11th. Again, the team has changed quite a bit. :D

GK: Joe Hart / Delgado

DL: Naylor / Andrew Taylor

DR: Opare / Davide Santon

DC: Ganchev / Peter Larsson

DC: John Kennedy / Kilgallon

MC: Rafael Carioca / De Martino

MC: Tijani Belaid / David Albelda

AML: Alibec / Henri Saivet

AMC: Russotto / Martin Galvan

AMR: Roman Zozulya / Belaid

ST: Choco / Fedor Smolov

Archived