The Little English Celtic

stalybridge%20celtic%20crest.jpg

Basic Introduction

A semi professional club from the Blue Square North, founded in 1909 and have tasted glory as recently as 2001 when they won the English 7th tier for the one and only time, and also become runners up in the Conference League Cup in 2005.

Club Information

Background

Name: Stalybridge Celtic.

Nickname(s): Celtic

Founded: 1909

Fierce Rivals: Hyde, Droylsden, Altrincham

Other Rivals: None

Legends: None

Club Icons: Martin Filson, Ian Arnold, Paul Sykes, Tony Sullivan, Kevin Parr, Frankie Bunn, Steve Burr

Favoured Personnel: None

Media Prediction: 5th

Team Captain: Keith Briggs

Staff

Assistant Manager: Paul Mitchell

Coach: Nicky Beeston Can be replaced with Hans Jorritsma highly recommended by this forum

Fitness Coach: Wayne Richardson

Physio: Dave Power Can be replaced with Andrea Ferretti highly recommended by this forum

Scout: Andy Fearn

Finances

Estimated Value: £275k

Balance: £0

Transfer Budget: £0k not negotiable

Wage Budget: £4.6k not negotiable and already exceeded

Current Wage: £4.685k

Stadium & Facilities

Ground: Bower Fold

Training Facilities: Fairly Basic Training Facilities

Youth Setup: Very Basic Youth Facilities

Parent Club: Oldham

First Team Squad

Goalkeepers

Martin Pearson

Paul Phillips

Defenders

Rhys Meynell

Ashley Woolliscroft

Danny Wood

Barrie Keeling

Paul Sykes

Keith Briggs

Andrew Smart

Midfielders

Terry Barwick

Nick Platt

Michael O'Connor

Chris Spooner

Steve Torpey

Lee Ellington

Forwards

Nathan Joynes

Chris Williams

Matty Barlow

Squad Analysis

Goalkeepers:

Pearson, in my opinion is the best GK who ability far outway his stats.

Left Backs:

This postion is severly lacking and needs strengthening. Smart is quality for the Blue Square North and maybe premier. Wood is an adequate backup if retrained.

Right Backs:

Abundance of these with Keith Briggs your best, Woolliscroft is ok if required.

Centre Backs:

This is one position in the team that looks really solid, Meynell is bar far the best player for Stalybridge and should be given a FT contract to get the best out of his training.

Central & Attacking Midfielders:

Plenty of adequate cover but will require strengthening if you want to progress.

Wingers:

Limited only Torpey is any good and there is no RM unless Briggs is pushed forward.

Strikers:

The best area of the squad in terms of depth in my opinion. Barlow is quality at this level and with Joynes as a partner should be scoring a few goals. Williams provides good cover.

Recommended Formation and Lineup

This is just my opinion and is using the original squad.

GK: Pearson

DR: Woolliscroft

DL: Smart

DC: Meynell

DC: Wood

RM: Briggs

LM: Torpey

MC: Barwick

MC: O'Connor

ST: Barlow

ST: Joynes

So basically I'd go for a 442 here simply and not to difficult to master in the lower league, with the midfield employing a defensive and attacking combination, with full backs providing overlapping support when attacking.

Areas for Improvement:

Def a LB is a neccessity

Mid a RM is a neccessity

The challenge is there should you wish to take it..

As that was my first post for any club. I will give you an update on my progress at 27th Feb 2009.

Database 9.01

Leagues loaded England All, Belgium 3rd division, Fance CFA division

Players loaded from Romania, Ireland, Wales, Scotland

Transfers In

Liam O'Connor Blarney RB

Ciaran Quinn Free Transfer LCM

Mike Jones Free Transfer DC

Pascal Bedrossian Crozon LCM Quality Winger and equally good as the attacking midfielder (28 games 11 goals 7 assists ave. 7.16)

Boubacar Balde Concarneau AMC retrianed as CM

Alexandre Hubert Concarneau Fwd Quality (43 games 36 goals 8 assists ave. 7.34)

Callum Bissett Western Mass. DC Came once he contract expired

Mamadu Cali Djalo Concarneau RCM Great on the wing

Competitions

League Currently 2nd after 29 games 1 point behind Gateshead and a game in hand

FA Cup 3rd round lost to Burnley 3-2 after bein 2 down.

Conf League Cup In Final vs Oxford

FA Trophy In Semi-Final vs Havant & Waterlooville

Best achievement other than the cups is replacing Oldham with Man Utd as my parent club.

http://www.poyntonfc.com/stalybridge%20celtic%20crest.jpg[/img ]

Post that at the start of your post, just get rid of the space at the end of it.

You could try and find a different one if you like, because that one is very big.

You could also put it into the center of the page. To do this, put

image here[/center ]

But delete the space at the end of it again.

Good luck, if you need any more help just say:thup:

http://www.poyntonfc.com/stalybridge%20celtic%20crest.jpg[/img ]

Post that at the start of your post, just get rid of the space at the end of it.

You could try and find a different one if you like, because that one is very big.

You could also put it into the center of the page. To do this, put

image here[/center ]

But delete the space at the end of it again.

Good luck, if you need any more help just say:thup:

Thanks for all the help, hopefully some people will start playing with Stalybridge if they like a challenge.

Update for Season 1

I have completed my first season with Stalybridge and it was quite remarkable since I had no money and limited wage bonus. I only had the French and Belgium leagues loaded so could not take advantage of the South Americans.

Predicted 5th in the Blue Square North

1st by 15 points

Won the CLC and the FA Trophy

3rd round of the FA Cup and lost to Burnley after a reply 3-2 was 2 nil down

BSP here we come.

http://img301.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ridges1qs1.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hey CMManager, I don't know if you check your original post anymore but I have decided to take on the challenge of Stalybridge. I am currently in February 2009 and hadn't noticed your post before. I have followed your advice and sacked Pover and Fitness coach and brought in the Italian and Dutch men as you suggested.

I have a question, you say left full back needs strengthening but you say that Smart is a quality player earlier on?

I am actually from Stalybridge so I hope I can do ok, 27 games gone and I'm 7th with an almighty battle for the play off spots on the cards I think. Any advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Carlos

• 4 weeks later...
Hey CMManager, I don't know if you check your original post anymore but I have decided to take on the challenge of Stalybridge. I am currently in February 2009 and hadn't noticed your post before. I have followed your advice and sacked Pover and Fitness coach and brought in the Italian and Dutch men as you suggested.

I have a question, you say left full back needs strengthening but you say that Smart is a quality player earlier on?

I am actually from Stalybridge so I hope I can do ok, 27 games gone and I'm 7th with an almighty battle for the play off spots on the cards I think. Any advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Carlos

Hi Carlos,

Glad to hear you have taken up the challenge, Smart is excellant but if he gets injured then the is inadequate cover, I personally played smart LM and he got many assists.

If you are not playing on the latest update then I recommend Alex Fernandez from Coslada.

When you get promoted have a look at the premier league teams that have released their youngsters you can usually pick up a few bargains and make the BS Premier a formality.

good luck

OCM

• 1 month later...

I'm playing with Stalybridge myself. Went on a 20-odd game unbeaten run that ahd me into 3rd. Currently 10th, but there's no point gap between about 7 teams, so a good run at the end will see me good (I hope).

Torpey is ace, but he's been sent off 3 times, the last of which saw a 5 game ban...

I've also got ManU as my parent team. They've just sent that Italian kid on loan

• 2 weeks later...
(I hope).

Torpey is ace, but he's been sent off 3 times, the last of which saw a 5 game ban...

he is good but you're right he has a hell of a temper!

I got promoted in first season through playoffs having squeezed into 5th spot in last game of the season ahead of southport. i am about 9th in premier division at the moment. hopefully i can push on and get into the playoffs this year, lots of dutch players in on frees has been the key

Rich

Archived