FM 2009 - FC Sochaux-Montbéliard: Les Lionceaux

the--dud

FC Sochaux-Montbéliard, do you want a proper challenge in FM09? Well here's the team for you! In real life they are sitting in 19th position in Ligue 1 as I'm writing this, with only one win this season. To put it blunty you have a Ligue 2 team in Ligue 1, where you're gonna struggle to find players with higher than 16 stats for anything. But it really is a proper fun challenge, and you're given an OK transfer budget. An interesting thing to note is that your stadium is a good size, but it can actually house 70% of the town's population. Must be a football mad little town! You can be their hero and save this team from certain relegation!

Town of Montbéliard:

10crgn8.jpg

Montbéliard is a commune in the Doubs department in the Franche-Comté region in eastern France. It is one of the two sub-prefectures of the department.

After the French Revolution, it was briefly incorporated into the Rauracian Republic. In 1793 the town was annexed to France, which was confirmed in 1796 and by the Reichsdeputationshauptschluss of 1806, when Württemberg was compensated with other areas, and became a kingdom. As a consequence of the former rule under the dukes of Württemberg, it has been for centuries one of the few Protestant (specifically Lutheran) enclaves in France

The main manufacturing plant of Peugeot is partly located in Montbéliard and the industrialist Peugeot family is a Protestant family from the vicinity of Montbéliard.

Even though I've never been there, I don't think there is too much you can say about this small town inhabited by 28,766 people. Although their castle looks very nice...

FC Sochaux-Montbéliard:

2qm0u3t.jpg

Full name: Football Club Sochaux-Montbéliard

Nickname(s): Les Lionceaux

Founded: 1928

Ground: Stade Auguste Bonal, Montbéliard (Capacity: 20,005)

Chairman: Jean-Claude Plessis

Manager: Francis Gillot

League: 2007/08 Ligue 1, 14th

FC Sochaux was founded in 1928 as a works team for the Peugeot motor car factory in the village of Sochaux. The following year, Sochaux's management sought to attract talented players from around Europe to become France's first professional soccer club.Results soon followed as Sochaux captured the 1935 and 1938 league championships.

In the post-war era, the FCSM saw its stature in French soccer steadily diminish from a league heavyweight to a middle-of-the-table performer relying more on its excellent youth development program than on the substantial budgets of yore. Although rarely relegated to the second division, Sochaux would not hoist a major trophy until 2004's Coupe de la Ligue.

The current renaissance of les lionceaux ("the lion cubs") has seen the club finish in the top half of the Ligue 1 table three years running and compete in the UEFA Cup, as well as acquire French Cup in 2007. It is recognized as one of the very best sources of young talent in France, with players like Benoît Pedretti and Pierre-Alain Frau finding their way to top clubs and the French national team.

Squad:

As mentioned earlier, your team is very weak, quite possibly on of the weakest in Ligue 1. You don't really have any stars, and even your captain isn't very good. However, on the bright side there is a couple of players that should be able to provide decent service for you...

Goalkeepers

GK - Teddy Richert*

GK - Matthieu Dreyer^

GK - Jérémy Gavanon

Defenders

DRC - Jacques Faty

DR/WBR - Stéphane Pichot

DC - Damien Perquis*

DC/DMC/MC - Hakim El Bounadi

DLC/WBL/DMC/MC - Carlão

DL/WBL/ML - Bojan Jokič

DRL/WBRL - Frédéric Duplus^ (in reserves)

Midfielders

DMC/MC - Valéry Mézague

DMC/MC - Romain Pitau

DMC/MC - Loïc Poujol

DMC/MC - Badara Sène*

MLC - Stépane Dalmat

AMRL - Ryad Boudebouz^

AMRLC - Michaël Isabey

AMR - Vincent Nogueira

ALC - Nicolas Maurice-Belay

AMC - Marvin Martin

Forwards

AMR/ST - Valter Birsa

FC - Álvaro Santos

ST - Edouard Butin

ST - Mevlüt Erdinç*

ST - Santos

The players marked with ^ are promising and capable youngster, the ones with * are important and established players. In my opinion of course...

Players out: (Most important transfers, not complete)

DC - Boukary Dramé (loan Real Sociedad))

MC - Guirane N'Daw (FC Nantes)

ST - Moumouni Dagano (Al-Khour)

ST - Robin Previtali (loan CS Louhans-Cuiseaux)

Souchaux hasn't really done much in terms of transfers, apart from getting rid of some dead-wood. Although letting N'Daw go to Nantes might have been a mistake.

State of Affairs

As mentioned a couple of times, you squad needs to serious shaking up if you're going to survive in Ligue 1. I can't stress this enough. Ever area of the field needs to be improved, perhaps apart from your goalkeeper. Teddy Richert is a good goalkeeper, FC Bayern wanted to sign him on my save. You're in dire need of some defenders and you absolutely need to get a quality strikers as the once you have are quite bad.

Realistically, this is always going to be a relegation battle. Even with good signings most games are going to be touch and go. But prove everyone wrong and excell with Souchaux!

Best Established Player

143zt4x.jpg

Teddy Richert - GK

Teddy Richert (born 21 September 1974 in Avignon is a French football goalkeeper, currently playing for FC Sochaux-Montbéliard. He is regarded as one of the best keepers in France.

Playing for Toulouse FC for eight years, he was signed for Bordeaux in 1999 where he was never successful, he went on loan for the 2000/2001 season at Lille Olympique Sporting Club in an attempt to revive his career, where he was a victim of a terrible knee injury that kept him out for the full season. It was Sochaux that managed to relaunch his career. Signed for Souchaux in 2001, Teddy Richert is fast becoming an idol at Stage Bonal. He won Souchaux the French Coupe de la Ligue trophy in 2004 and Coupe de France in 2007 making vital saves. In the 2006/07 season he was awarded by being elected by his peers as the best goalkeeper in Ligue 1, thus ending the hegemony of Lyon Grégory Coupet.

His stats on FM09 might be slightly under-rated compared to the status he enjoys in France but he is still a very decent goal keeper. He's getting old so he shouldn't have the same stats as many years ago, but I still feel his stats should have been a bit better

Best Young Player

33nhohw.jpg

Frédéric Duplus - DR/WBR

Duplus has been with Souchaux since 2005. He made his highly anticipated professional debut in Sochaux's 3rd round 1-0 win over Olympique Marseille in the 2008-09 edition of the Coupe de la Ligue coming on as a substitute playing 11 minutes. He made his league debut on October 29, 2008 against Olympique Lyonnais, however he was substituted out after only playing 32 minutes

Duplus was a member of the France squad that participated in the 2007 FIFA U-17 World Cup helping France reach the quarter-finals before being eliminated by Spain. He is currently playing on the France U-19 squad. He made his debut participating in the opening match of the 2008 Sendaï Cup.

(Sorry about the poor picture, but it was the best I could find...)

On FM08, Duplus was one of those French youngster that you always tried to sign for the future and he still is. He's got amazing potental, and is regarded extremely highly in real life as well. He looks to be another amazing youth that's came out of Sochaux. Previous gems that Sochaux has produced includes: Benoït Pedretti, Karim Ziani, El-Hadji Diouf and Abdel Djaadaoui.

Misc...::

If you feel I've said something wrong or picked the wrong people or whatever, please shout out.

As always, any comments/corrections/feedback more than welcome, don't hesitate to get involved!

Valter Birsa used to be quite good on 8.0.2.

He's been downgraded a bit, he'd probably be an amazing striker for tier 2 if you know what I mean... But he can give you decent service I suppose, but he's not a star striker... :thdn:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Erm, Sochaux are top of the table in second season (I play as PSG) and Birsa and Mevlut Erdinc are banging them in. It convinced me to buy Erdinc for £11.5M in january window (2nd season) and he has been a revelation for me as well. even by March 12th 2010, they are still top. I think they will be overrun now though.

Their stars (beside their attackers) are Jacqeus Faty, Francois Marqué, Damien Perquis, Osmar Ferreyra and Mota. All but Perquis were bought by Sochaux during the game.

Just som inspiration for you if you think Sochaux are hopeless!

Archived