FM2008 - Amsterdam ArenA - Home of AFC Ajax

ClarenceZico

logoajax.gif

Amsterdamsche Football Club Ajax also referred to as AFC Ajax, or simply Ajax is a professional football club from Amsterdam, Netherlands. The club is historically one of the three clubs that dominate the Dutch national football league (Eredivisie), the other two being Feyenoord and PSV.

Ajax is one of the five teams that has earned the right to keep the European Cup; they won consecutively in 1971-1973. In 1972, they completed The Treble by winning the Dutch Eredivisie, KNVB Cup, and the European Cup; to date they are the only team to keep the European Cup and accomplish the European Treble , also AFC Ajax are one of the only two teams (with Manchester United in 1999) to win the The Treble and the Intercontinental Cup in the same season/calender year, this was achieved in the legendary 1971/72 season. They are also one of only three clubs (with Juventus and Bayern Munich) to have won all three major European trophies at least once (the European Cup, the European Cup Winners' Cup and the UEFA Cup). They were the first team to win what has become the UEFA Intertoto Cup. Ajax has also won the Intercontinental Cup twice.

Honours

Official trophies (recognized by UEFA and FIFA)

National

Eredivisie: 29

1917-18, 1918-19, 1930-31, 1931-32, 1933-34, 1936-37, 1938-39, 1946-47, 1956-57, 1959-60, 1965-66, 1966-67, 1967-68, 1969-70, 1971-72, 1972-73, 1976-77, 1978-79, 1979-80, 1981-82, 1982-83, 1984-85, 1989-90, 1993-94, 1994-95, 1995-96, 1997-98, 2001-02, 2003-04

KNVB Cup: 17

1917, 1943, 1961, 1967, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1979, 1983, 1986, 1987, 1993, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2006, 2007

KNVB Cup runner-up: 5

1900, 1968, 1978, 1980, 1981

Johan Cruijff Shield: 7

1993, 1994, 1995, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007

Johan Cruijff Shield runners-up: 4

1996, 1998, 1999, 2004

Squad

1 GK Maarten Stekelenburg

2 DF John Heitinga (vice-captain)

3 DF Jaap Stam (captain)

4 DF Thomas Vermaelen

5 DF Urby Emanuelson

6 MF Hedwiges Maduro

7 FW Kennedy Bakircioglü

8 FW Ismael Urzaiz

9 FW Klaas-Jan Huntelaar

10 FW Albert Luque

11 FW Leonardo

12 GK Erik Heijblok

13 MF Edgar Davids

15 MF Laurent Delorge

16 FW Luis Suárez

17 MF Jan Vertonghen

18 MF Gabri

19 MF Dennis Rommedahl

20 DF George Ogăraru

21 FW Edgar Manucharyan

22 DF Robbert Schilder

23 FW Nicolae Mitea

24 MF Mitchell Donald

25 DF Gregory van der Wiel

26 MF Jeffrey Sarpong

27 MF Vurnon Anita

28 MF Michael Krohn-Dehli

29 MF Siem De Jong

30 GK Dennis Gentenaar

31 DF Jurgen Colin

32 GK Marco van Duin

34 FW John Goossens

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Wikipedia:

Number 14

As of the following season (2007-08), no player will wear the number 14 shirt at Ajax, since the club decided to retire the shirt in respect to formidable legend, Johan Cruijff, who presented his number for his 60th Birthday, though Cruijff said that it should be better if the best player of the team would wear number 14. Spanish midfielder Roger was the last player to wear the number.

This guide is compiled of my own experiences with Ajax over past FM editions and studying the team on the Demo. It is also taken from extensive viewings of the Eredivisie last season and intense studying on the way they play and train. This in no way reflects the exact truth, just my opinions on the matter.

Right, so first i think its important to establish what sort of system you can play as Ajax. From past experiences on FM i have always found 4-1-2-2-1 to work well as does 4-2-3-1 as both allow heavy involvment from the wingers. For FM08 i think i will go for a 4-2-3-1 system as it is obvious that the AMC will play a huge role in this edition and hence we need to utilize this and use it to our advantage.

Next i will outline what i think is the best starting XI for Ajax on the game.

GK: Stekelenburg (Very strong GK for Ajax. Reliable and a great shot stopper, imo it isn't a close call between him and Gentenaar, however some people insist Gentenaar is the better option.)

RB: Heitinga (I think this is a close call between John and George Ogararu as both have decent stats for a RB, however Johns vast experience in the Eredivisie makes him first choice imo. Gabri could be retrained there and i think could do a good job considering is no his natural position but it depends on what system you will play, in my 4-2-3-1 system there is no natural position for Gabri to fit in so retraining him looks best option.)

LB: Emanuelson (Only other real option would be putting Vermaelen there but he isn't really that effective, lacks the pace imo. This is a position that needs strengthening. Urby is good but he is still only 21 and lacks experience. I think it would be safe to bring in a decent LB to challenge for this position.)

CB's: Stam + Maduro (In Stam you have a born leader who will organise the defense superbly. Maduro is still quite young but a great defensive player nonetheless. His high teamwork makes him a good team player and i feel these 2 could strike up a great bond and partnership. However it is clear these CB's lack pace and this could be a real problem as Vermaelen has low pace also. I think maybe bringing in someone like Ignashevich would bolster the defence and add a little pace to it.

MC Defensive: In the system i play it is important that you have 2 MC that work well together and have an understanding that one sits and protects the back 4 and the other joins up with the AMC through the middle. For the defensive MC position i would go with Maduro or Davids, both have high teamwork and workrate stats and both are good tacklers and distributors of the ball which is essential.

MC Attacking: This is a real problem position for me. On 07 it was a position Sneijder made his own but now Ajax lack real depth here. This is a position i will definately look at strengthening. Vertonghen could do a temp job there but isnt good enough to play there permanently.

AMR: This is a strong position for Ajax as you have 3 decent prospects: Delorge, Kennedy and Rommedahl. Imo i would go for Kennedy as he is a better allround player imo. However Rommedahl has the pace to make real impacts on games so i will save him for sub appearances. Delorge is a decent player and with the right training could turn out well.

AML: Another position that doesnt lack depth or quality for Ajax. I would go for Leonardo as he has lightening pace and agility. When he gets to the byline he is a masterful crosser and looks like the player to get alot of assists for me. I personally dont like the idea of playing Luque there as i dont think he is strongest playing on the left (as we saw at Newcastle) i would go for Suarez over him as backup.

AMC: Another real problem position for Ajax. I definately need to strengthen through the middle of the park. Not quite sure who i will look at just yet but none of the promising youngsters look quite read for first team football just yet.

FC: Huntelaar (Obvious choice really when you have arguably the best Dutch forward around at your disposal. Great target man as he is dominant in the air and also strong. From Leonardo and Kennedy's crosses i think i can score quite a few with Huntelaar. Will be hard to keep him at the club though. Urzaiz provides decent backup and is another decent target man. I dont rate Manucharyan and will most probably look at getting rid of him or atleast loaning him out for him to get some experience under his belt. I think both Luque and Suarez provide more decent backup and both could be used as strikers in my system.

Just a little guide there to all thinking of playing as Ajax. Dont feel at liberty to go along with what i said, just my opinions and thoughts on Ajax for FM08.

Just been having more of a look at the Ajax squad and im surprised how much Mitea has been improved. My opinion has always been that he did well for us in real life but was never given the right attributes in FM. However on 08 he looks to be alot quicker and an allround better player, which is encouraging for me. I think that looking at his stats he could well challenge Leonardo for that AML spot. He's certainly got the nod ahead of Luque and Suarez there icon14.gif.

• 2 weeks later...

Right so no suprises that i started as Ajax when i bought the game on friday. No major transactions to note.

Bought:

Nacer Barazite - £22k - Future occupant of the AMC role in my eyes. With right training could become a great attacker.

Ever Banega - £2.2 million - My long term replacement for Davids. Great winner of the ball and excellent distributor. My modern 'Libero' in the shape of the great Blinds, Rijkaards etc.

Mika Aaritalo - £20k - Decent backup targetman to Huntelaar and Urzaiz. Will either stick him in Ajax 2 or loan him out for him to gain experience. Could prove a handy acquisition in the long run.

Rene Mihelic - £200k - Great central midfield prospect. My man to replace the departing Sneijder, in a few years anyway.

Loans:

Rick Kruys - Utrecht - Young, decent AMC player that has potential to be a very good player. Signed him initially on a 6 month loan, hoping that this will give time for the likes of Mihelic and Barazite to develop.

Jonathan Evans - Man Utd - Signed him as a backup CB to the likes of Stam, Vermaelen and Maduro. My scouts recommended him as a definitie purchase but i will wait and see how he gets on over the season.

My findings so far:

Well firstly ive stuck to my 4-2-3-1 system with my first XI being:

Stekelenburg

Heitinga

Emanuelson

Stam

Maduro

Banega

Vertonghem/Mihelic

Kennedy

Kruys

Mitea

Huntelaar

Ive been very impressed with Mitea so far. I had him down as a fringe player but he has been excellent for me thus far. Kennedy has been my outstanding player. I use him down the right as a playmaker and he excels. Huntelaar had a slow start but had started to find his feet recently and is on 7 from 9.

However i am finding that Stam and Maduro lack real pace in the center and i am being found out there. So ive started looking for a replacement pacey defender and think i will opt for Kew Jaliens at AZ as he is unsettled and experienced. At 29 i will use him as a relative short term measure and wait for one of the kids to take his place.

Anyone else playing as Ajax?

Yes I'm Ajax and this is my first time back at FM 2008 since Champ man 01/02 !!!

played that game non stop but won't have as much time for this one (I bet it still takes over my life though) Always loved Ajax but onlt know abit about their current squad so you guides are great icon_smile.gif

Thanks

Originally posted by odannyboy:

Forgot to say, who should I be selling as I,m looking to raise some funds ???

Hopefully the board will give me the money !

Forum ate my post,so attempt number 2 icon_smile.gif

Try selling Delorge and Colin, imo they add nothing to the team.

It's been a long time since I played FM, but after reading some nice (p)reviews I decided to go out and buy FM2008, not dissapointed about it yet.

Started as usual with Ajax, not really impressed with the squad, but that's what you get if you sell your topplayers and do not invest in quality after that.

Bought Modric and thus have almost nothing left to invest icon_smile.gif but he balances the squad so money well spent so far.

Playing in a 4-3-3 with the following line-up

GK: Stekelenburg

DR: Ogăraru

DC: Stam

DC: Vermaelen

DL: Emanuelson

MCR: Gabri

DMC: Maduro

MCL: Modric

AMR: Bakircioglü

FC: Huntelaar

AML: Suarez

For now I only played a few games, I did qualify for the CL and won the dutch Supercup.

It seems so far, that scores are lower then in FM06,the lack of quality in the team can be a reason for it, but I'm not sure about that one.

Forgot to say, who should I be selling as I,m looking to raise some funds ???

Hopefully the board will give me the money !

Would agree with Wendsill in selling Colin and Delorge, however knowone would have them off me. Also try getting rid of Krohn Delhi and possibly Luque if you can get the funds for it.

Im seriously very impressed with Mitea on this version, he is my first choice left winger and Leonardo doesnt even get a look in.

Hows everybody finding Emanuelson? IMO on this version he is one of the best leftbacks on the game, truely superb, same goes for Kennedy icon14.gif

Wendsill: Good going on getting Modric, i couldnt get him so got Mihelic instead and he has been superb.

I would advise everyone playing as Ajax to go out and get Banega asap! He is a superb ball winner and his pass completion % is in the high 80's!

Yesterday I played some more games and although some matches were only a one goal difference I had some good wins with 3/4 goals difference.

Things are looking good atm, won 2 out of 2 in the CL, very lucky wins against Schalke and Liverpool, but I can live with that icon_smile.gif. In the league I'm second, 3 points behind Feijenoord, but I played one less match.

Haven't really tried Mitea yet, Suarez is doing a very good job atm, not scoring alot, but being the man with the most assists. Huntelaar has already scored like 15 goals.

Emanuelson is indeed a very good leftback. Modric is really an asset, if you can get him. He's worth every penny, only downside is that in my game he can't play in the european matches. I tried Vertonghen on his spot in the match against Liverpool and he did fine.

Raising funds by selling players is not working yet..Well kinda predictable, Who would want players like Delorge icon_biggrin.gif.

Got some moaning players in my squad atm which is fun. Have given my first official warning to Gentenaar, who didn't show up for training and Krohn-Dehli, Delorge are now up for sale, which is the direct result from the moaning. Hoping the rest of the squad gets the message...

@ Clarencezico: I scouted all the players you suggested, they look promising indeed, but sadly they all have transfered out to bigger clubs.

Sorry to hear they've already been signed. But tbh ive stopped looking for decent youngsters now as im giving the youth at Ajax a chance and am trying my best at nurturing them.

As regards Vertonghen, he's been a real surprise for me. I stuck him in at MC coz of an injury to Banega and he has been superb and a real tidy player in the middle.

Little update regarding my career. Only played about 9 games in the league whereas everyone else has played about 12 or 13 coz mine kept getting rearranged due to European games etc. Currently 3rd, P 9, W 7, D 1, L 1. Got 3 games in hand over leaders Feyenoord who are 4 points clear, so if i win them i will go top by 5 icon_biggrin.gif.

As regards CL, ive played 4 games in that and sit second behind Barca who have won all 4 of theirs. Ive got Lazio and Anderlecht both on 3 points behind me so i think it could be a close call but hopefully i will get through that stage.

Notable transfers ive added are Kew Jaliens joining in Jan for £2.2 million. I felt i needed a quicker CB and he fits the bill perfectly. Ive also had a £6 million bid for Breno accepted and so will look at signing him aswell in January icon14.gif.

As regards funds, to those who are disappointed at the lack of them. Stick with it as Ajax are notable for being a very shrewd business like team and always generate extra funds. Ive just been given £20 million extra!

After clinching the Belgian tilte and cup with Standard in the first season (and reaching the quarter finals in the UEFA Cup), I decided to take the vacant position at Ajax, since Ten Cate's contract was not renewed (despite leading them to the title as well).

Huntelaar had scored 27 league goals under Ten Cate, so I did everything to keep him and succeded at doing so. I brought in Bojan on loan from Barcelona, who had great stats already but wasn't getting any minutes at Barcelona yet, to team up with him.

So far so good I'd say. I have yet to draw or lose a match, winning the supercup on penalties, winning 7 league games in a row and winning my two champions league group games so far in style.

The first one was against Barcelona at home. I went for countertactics and boy did it pay off... Bojan, who had yet to score, took 4 goals for his account, in a 8-3 trashing. The game was very even, the finishing was extreme.

The second one was away to portsmouth. Went down by 2 goals in the first thirty minutes, only to come back and eventualy win by 3-4 with a last minute winning strike by Huntelaar.

icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by RubenJ:

After clinching the Belgian tilte and cup with Standard in the first season (and reaching the quarter finals in the UEFA Cup), I decided to take the vacant position at Ajax, since Ten Cate's contract was not renewed (despite leading them to the title as well).

Huntelaar had scored 27 league goals under Ten Cate, so I did everything to keep him and succeded at doing so. I brought in Bojan on loan from Barcelona, who had great stats already but wasn't getting any minutes at Barcelona yet, to team up with him.

So far so good I'd say. I have yet to draw or lose a match, winning the supercup on penalties, winning 7 league games in a row and winning my two champions league group games so far in style.

The first one was against Barcelona at home. I went for countertactics and boy did it pay off... Bojan, who had yet to score, took 4 goals for his account, in a 8-3 trashing. The game was very even, the finishing was extreme.

The second one was away to portsmouth. Went down by 2 goals in the first thirty minutes, only to come back and eventualy win by 3-4 with a last minute winning strike by Huntelaar.

icon_cool.gif

Very nice results indeed, what tactics are you using?

Haven't played yesterday, did have the intention but fell asleep on the couch icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by odannyboy:

Ouch !!! I just lost my first game to Ajax cape town 2-0.

On a plus I just got modric.

Friendlies don't really matter, use them to get used to a tactic/first eleven..

Originally posted by letsflipthisplaceup:

I'm in my first season with Ajax and I'm doing pretty well so far (1st in the league, 2nd in Ch' league group, still in the cup). Im playing with old cruyiff Ajax system and bought Banega and Aaritalo who are my two best players next to Huntelaar...

Could you please explain how you put that into use? cause in my memory Cruyff's tactics were attacking to the extreme, or did you just alter a 4-3-3/3-4-3

Good to see more people choosing the great Ajax icon14.gif

To allanshearer: Yes Ajax are alot of fun on the game, have great players like Huntelaar and the youth setup is worldclass. Great for a long term game.

RubenJ: Nice results mate, good going. Good to see you kept Huntelaar, phenomenal for me although he is injured for around 2 months now icon_frown.gif.

odannyboy: Take no notice of friendly results all i use them for is to get the match fitness up of my players. In my pre-season i played about 10 friendlies, first 6 or 7 to get fitness up then concentrated on getting last 3 or 4 games on getting my tactics spot on.

Could you please explain how you put that into use? cause in my memory Cruyff's tactics were attacking to the extreme, or did you just alter a 4-3-3/3-4-3

Yes your right Cruijffs tactics were attacking but he limited this attacking approach considerably after Michels time. It was Michels that often said he didnt care how many goals they conceded as long as the scored one more. Cruijff did play a version of 4-3-3 during his time at Ajax. Cruijff's offensive tactics are immediately illustrated in his first active season, when Ajax ends the season with 120 goals in total on the scoresheet.

Ive always found it hard to implement Cruijffs tactics on FM as there are many things that need to be changed on the game however if you have got a close match to the tactic then well done my son icon14.gif

Just drew my first match. Away to PSV. I was up 0-3 after thirty minutes, but they came back to 3-3 icon_mad.gif, Farfan scoring the equaliser in the 83rd minute (they switched to 4-2-4 and I spotted it too late).

I started my first couple of matches with this formation, because Bojan was at the olympics and when he came back, Huntelaar was injured for two matches.

It worked fine (the 8-3 against Barcelona was with this formation) but when Bojan and Huntelaar were both available and Elmander got injured for 4 months, I swithed to this formation. Also notice that Stam is no longer in the starting line up, due to frequent mistakes leading to goals.

I play both formations with attacking mentality, normal passing and a quick and wide play and often closing down. My defense man marks and keeps it tight.

I do have to congragulate Ten Cate for his transfers. I only brought in Bojan and Alex from Vasco, the rest are all his.

Rakitic and Elmander were bought for a little under €15 million, just before I took over. But they both proved to be awsome for Ajax. (the fans are praising me for those signings though icon_razz.gif)

Elmander only played a few matches for me, but was great in every one of them. Now Rakitic is the key in my attack, since Elmander's long term injury. Asatiani also does a very good job at replacing Stam so far.

Enke is also a reliable goalkeeper, and Ten Cate also brought him in. Stekelenburg got sold quickly after my arrival. A bid of €9,5 million came in, and the board accepted over my head.

Hey guys, nice to see some more ajax enthousiast around here.

First thing I do at ajax is ask the board for more transfer funds. They raise it to 38 million !!!!!

As for tactics and results they dont really matter till the first patch comes out, if you havent noticed closing down isnt working so wingers are absolutely supreme.

When the patch comes out though I will be playing a 433 with this squad.

DR: Heitinga

DMC: Maduro

MC: Vertonghen

MC: Gabri

AML: Luque

AMR: Bakir

S: Huntelaar

Now most of them are not of international... allure, as in real life they dont cut it in FM.

I bring in Modric, Gourcuff(loan) and Defour as MC's should cost about 10/12,5 Million. Next i get a quality defender and a talented striker to fill Huntelaar's shoes when he leaves. This is just for the first and second season. The rest of the game I try to fill every spot with my own youth. Leonardo and Davids join the squad after a month or 2/3 due to injuries.

DR: Heitinga

DMC: Davids

MC: Modric

MC: Defour

AML: Leonardo

AMR: Bakir

S: Huntelaar

It works for me but with 38 million you can get whoever you want

Originally posted by letsflipthisplaceup:

I'm in my first season with Ajax and I'm doing pretty well so far (1st in the league, 2nd in Ch' league group, still in the cup). Im playing with old cruyiff Ajax system and bought Banega and Aaritalo who are my two best players next to Huntelaar...

Its an altered 4-3-3. flat back four, three in center midfield (two defensive, one attacking) one striker, two wingers on full attack. works well as long as you have a quality creative midfield (for me its banega) and quick wingers with good crossing (mitea and kennedy)

I like to play this game the boring defensive way. Although it's not appealing it works. I think I might pack the midfield in a 4-5-1 system with high closing down. I should hopefully be extremely tight at the back and sneak 1-0 or 2-0 wins. I'm sure the hardcore Ajax fans wouldn't be best pleased though icon_biggrin.gif

I might have a sale and get better defensively sound players.

Originally posted by lfc7:

afetr reading this thread am looking on starting a game with ajax any recomendations on who to sell am gonna be playing a 443 but in this format

GK:

DR:

DL:

DC:

DC:

MC:

MC:

MC:

AML:

AMR:

ST:

just take my first eleven and try to buy the players mentioned in this thread icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by GunnersFan:

I like to play this game the boring defensive way. Although it's not appealing it works. I think I might pack the midfield in a 4-5-1 system with high closing down. I should hopefully be extremely tight at the back and sneak 1-0 or 2-0 wins. I'm sure the hardcore Ajax fans wouldn't be best pleased though icon_biggrin.gif

well that system is not gonna work with the closing down bug atm. And to be honest i don't think Ajax has the squad to play like that, lots of players in the squad are offensive based and are used to play in a 4-3-3 attacking tactics, If you persist on playing on the defensive way I'm not going to stop you as it is your game icon_smile.gif But I'd take an italian team for that, cause they are the masters of defensive play..

I like to play this game the boring defensive way. Although it's not appealing it works. I think I might pack the midfield in a 4-5-1 system with high closing down. I should hopefully be extremely tight at the back and sneak 1-0 or 2-0 wins. I'm sure the hardcore Ajax fans wouldn't be best pleased though

Ajax play defensively? You must be joking icon_biggrin.gif

In all seriousness though, ive had to resort to playing in a slightly less attacking way because although im scoring a few im conceding quite a few aswell as my fullbacks are very offensive minded and leave gaps, but this is how they overlap and create goals. However the goals conceded are affecting the morale of the players slightly so ive 'dumbed' down my attacking options slightly.

Each to his own icon14.gif

also any suggestions on where needs strenghting

The main area that needs strengthening is the centre, from CBs to CMs. IMO opinion go for a quicker CB as Stam, Maduro and Vermaelen are all quite slow. Also it is essential you sign a decent CM, i went for Mihelic whereas i know Wensill got Modric, either would be excellent. You will need to invest in a better DCM aswell. I went for Banega as he offers creativity also as a DM. If not try someone else there. Ive found Schilder does a decent temp job there aswell.

Hope it helps icon14.gif

also on the right of mid the pos will be amr now ive got these 5 players who should i keep and who should i sell gabri-but he can only play rm or wb not amr which i want should i get rid or re-train, rommedahl-amr, bakircioglu-amr, delorge-amr,krohn-delhi amr(ive transfer listed him) nice one

am just about to start ny 1st premier division game had mixed results in the friendlies lost in the super cup 1-0 against psv icon_mad.gif lots of ins and outs spent all of my transfer budget

my squad-ajax3dx9.th.png

my ins and outs-ajax1vi4.th.png

Originally posted by lfc7:

am just about to start ny 1st premier division game had mixed results in the friendlies lost in the super cup 1-0 against psv icon_mad.gif lots of ins and outs spent all of my transfer budget

my squad-ajax3dx9.th.png

my ins and outs-ajax1vi4.th.png

how did you raise funds to buy van der Vaart?

zico who would you get rid of

Well from the screenshots it looks as though you have already got rid of a few. I would have advised to get rid of those 'youngsters' all around he 20 year old mark like Tayeb, Yildrim etc. They simply aren't good enough and them being around at the club prevents the youngsters from coming through. Secondly i would say to look to offload Krohn-Delhi, Luque (looks as though you did), Colin (same), also possibly Uraziz as he is devastating in the air but poor all round and moans alot!

also on the right of mid the pos will be amr now ive got these 5 players who should i keep and who should i sell gabri-but he can only play rm or wb not amr which i want should i get rid or re-train, rommedahl-amr, bakircioglu-amr, delorge-amr,krohn-delhi amr(ive transfer listed him) nice one

What system do you play? If like you said you play with an AMR position then it is Kennedy by an absolute mile. He is a top performer for me. Get rid of Delorge and use Rommedahl as backup.

Archived