FM2009: Grasshopper-Club Zürich Team Thread

I'm gonna give this a shot with a team that I'm familiar with that hasn't gotten a lot of love around these parts: Grasshopper-Club Zürich, from the Swiss Super League (I'm doing a lot of this from memory at work, so bear with me and let me know if I've messed something up).

200px-Grasshopper-Club_Z%C3%BCrich.png

Full Name: Grasshopper-Club Zürich

Nicknames: GC, GCZ

Founded: 1886

Ground: Letzigrund, Zürich (capacity: 26,500)

Manager: Hanspeter Latour

League: Swiss Super League

Grasshopper is one of the most successful teams in the history of Swiss Soccer; they've won the Swiss League 27 times and the Swiss Cup 18 times, both of which are records. In fact, they've been runners-up in the Swiss Cup more times (13) than anyone else has won it (their closest competition, FC Sion, has won the Swiss Cup 10 times).

That said, GCZ hasn't exactly had great form lately. They followed up their most recent league championship (in 2002-03) with a seventh-place finish the next season, and really haven't gotten back to form since. The highest they've finished since then is third in 2005-06.

Grasshopper's main rivals are FC Basel and FC Zürich (with whom they share a stadium). In real life, they're occupying fourth place in the Swiss Super League; can you do better?

SQUAD

Goalkeepers

Eldin Jakupović (on loan from Locomotiv Moscow)*

Mario Kirev (on loan from Juventus)

Massimo Colomba

Defenders

DL-Kay Voser

DR-Scott Sutter

DC/DMC-Guillermo Vallori

DC-Boris Smiljanić (captain)*

D/WBL-Fabio Daprelà^

DLR/WBR-Rolf Feltscher

Midfielders

MC/DMC-Josip Colina

MC/DMC-Veroljub Salatić

AML/ST-Senad Lulić*

MRL/AMRL-Davide Callà

AMC/MC-Ricardo Cabanas*

MC-Bruce Lalombongo

AML/ML-António dos Santos

Forwards

ST-Alain Schultz

ST-Gonzalo Zárate (on loan from Kriens)

ST-Roland Linz (on loan from Sporting de Braga)

ST-Raúl Bobadilla*^

ST-Steve Zuber^

Out on Loan

ST-David Blumer (at Thun)

ST-Gabriel Machado (at Stade Nyonnais)

ST-Samel Šabanović (at Esbjerg)

ST-Vitor Huvos (at Stade Nyonnais)

State of Affairs

Your chairman (Roger Berbig) loves the team and doesn't see any reason why he'd ever leave, which is good; when you take over, you'll have no scouting restrictions. You also don't really have a ton of talent, and your depth is a little lacking; the budget won't provide you with a ton of cash to fix this, but you also won't have to deal with any debt; transfer money you bring in should be mostly yours to spend.

The standard Grasshopper formation is a 4-2-3-1, and your personnel match up nicely with that.

Best Established Player

Ricardo Cabanas is your best player at the outset. While he's classified as an AMC, I've always played him in a holding role with good success. Cabanas is a Swiss national, and will probably become your team's captain in the second season; he might not score a lot of goals, but most of the passing is going to run through him.

Best Young Player

Raúl Bobadilla is an absolute animal up front, especially after he gets going. He's also a conssummate professional; if you become successful, he's not the kind of player who will start complaining about the lack of prestige at the club. Also, while he's Argentinian to start off, he becomes Swiss about two years in; this will help you stay under the "Foreign Players" limit that Switzerland's league has.

I hope I did this right; I'll double-check my info tonight when I'm in front of the game to make sure I've got it right.

Always have a save as Grasshopper, they're great fun and with the right tactics can do well in europe. The league is very hard to win 1st season but 2nd place is definately achievable. Basel have a very strong team and a lot of cash but can be broken in the 2nd or 3rd season. On my save (not sure what patch) Gabriel Machado became a complete beast and scored 20+ every season, definately one to hold on to. I also got 2.5mil for Voser second season and 1.5mil for guillermo aswell i think. With a good finish 1st season, hopefully 2nd you're balance gets a big boost and i had a much bigger transfer kitty second season!

If you play on 9.3 (which takes into account the January window), Machado will be loaned out; 9.2 will have him, plus a couple of other players (Yakim Mikari and Demba Toure) that are worth keeping around for a little while.

The transfer kitty amps up nicely. Steve Zuber also becomes a relatively good second striker; I finally ended up sending Machado to Gremio (along with some cash) for Gerson, then started rebuilding the back. Smiljanić is fantastic for the first two years, but he declines pretty rapidly after that, so look into getting a young DC.

I had to dump Vallori earlier than I'd have liked (he and Bobadilla clashed on my save), but he and Smiljanić make a GREAT partnership. The fullbacks could use some upgrading.

Incidentally, it may be worth expanding your stadium as soon as you can if you've found you're getting good results; the average attendance isn't that great at the outset, but they start pouring out of the woodwork after a couple seasons and you want to be prepared. The lack of debt is really nice, and the payroll is VERY manageable.

I played Grasshopper with my first ever save this year, and it was a good team to feel the game out with. I also tried to steer clear of forums like this, because I wanted to find players and make mistakes on my own, without knowing who they were. So I ended up scouting finding Daniel Opare, Gerson, and Canales, and bringing them in (for awhile, at least; outside of Gerson, who apparently loves it in Switzerland, the other two only hung out for two or three seasons). Their ambition matches their skills; they aren't going to stay forever, but if you're okay with that than they'll play fantastically for you.

I eventually took a job with Liverpool, so outside of one really good regen none of my players were really of a high enough caliber to bring along. I have a feeling that even mid-table Premiership teams might benefit from Bobadilla's services, but I haven't tested that theory as of yet; he's been fantastic in the Swiss national team for me, though, which is nice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm thinking of starting again as well...there's something charming about Grasshopper that I'm not getting out of my Liverpool save.

Ive started managing St Gallen in the Challenge League, won that and the Swisscom Cup in my first season (havent lost a match yet, nearly 50 games in!).

Signed Anderson Martins, Simon Paulsen and Edgar Manuchayan, who i think could certinaly score a few in this League. I do enjoy the 'easy listening' style leagues, ive got Partisan Belgrade in a qualifier for the Europa League next up and we are huge underdogs. What do people think is a relative success for a Swiss team in Europe?

Later stages of the Europa league I guess Robhug?

how long would it take to win it? Going on the premise of buying 1 outstanding young player with a season budget every year, 5-6 yrs in i could challenge. So far ive got Opare, Anderson Martins, Daniel Parejo and Rodney Sneider after the first year so not bad so far

Yea, thats about right, I did quite well with them in 08 in Uefa Cup, even qualified out of the champions league group once! :p

Nice. :cool:

how long would it take to win it? Going on the premise of buying 1 outstanding young player with a season budget every year, 5-6 yrs in i could challenge. So far ive got Opare, Anderson Martins, Daniel Parejo and Rodney Sneider after the first year so not bad so far

I reckon you could be challenging (winning it) for the Europa league in about three-four seasons, provided you can add to your talent/prospects and hold on to the others. :)

Nice. :cool:

I reckon you could be challenging (winning it) for the Europa league in about three-four seasons, provided you can add to your talent/prospects and hold on to the others. :)

do you still get into the new europa league if you finish 3rd in your CL group stage? or have they done away with that now

• 2 weeks later...

I got Grasshopper to the quarterfinals of the Champions League in 2010-2011; it was mostly luck and good draws, though (i.e., I played against teams that happened to have a lot of injuries and ground out a lot of results). I did a league/cup double, too, so now I've got crazy high transfer money to match the board's crazy high expectations.

Ultimately, I want to win the Europa league this year (the year after); my CL group stage is paying me back for last season, though, so unless I can get into third it's moot. The CL money really helps; if you can get to the group stages, your transfer budget gets a nice bump.

And yes, third place kicks you into the Europa league.

Archived