Enough with the last-gasp screamers!

I dominate the game, but only manage 1 goal. No big deal, I'm in control, my tactics are working a treat, my strikers are pants, so finishing to match their mediocre-at-best ability is to be expected.

But in the 80 something minute of every game that I am leading 1-0, after the AI has been unable to create any CCCs, been second best the entire match, it's almost as if this switch is flicked on that says "hey, all we have to do is unleash one single 30+ yard screamer, and we'll seal the draw."

Is anyone else experiencing this same issue, or am I alone here?

Nope, but it is your tactics. ( I can't believe I just said thatT

Are you changing to time wasting, how deep do you play?

Haha, thanks for the obligatory "it's your tactics" response ;)

I'm keeping the d-line in the middle, turned my closing down up a few notches, increased time wasting, narrowed my formation, and specifically set opp. instructions for their 2 central midfielders that have ppm of "shoots from distance" and "shoots with power" to show onto weaker foot, closing down always, and hard tackling. Lo and behold, it's one of those that scores the screamer every time. (I've reloaded the game several times over because I'm having difficulties figuring out the effect of instructions/tactics that worked great in 9.0.2, but are not effective in 9.0.3, and I'm not at all sure why, as they seem to make sense).

I normally disapprove of whinging endlessly about "this keeps happening," etc. etc. on the forums, as it is not at all constructive, and usually results in backlash, but to be perfectly honest, I'm at a loss. I feel like I have employed what is necessary tactically, but what else can I do?

Any help/suggestions are much appreciated :)

Might not be your tactics.

might be your players hidden attributes.

This is what my real gripe is. Not knowing what it is that is responsible for this happening with such regularity, despite having made changes that I feel should effectively combat long shots leading to 30-yard+ goals.

I have no problem with "chance occurrences," as that is part of the game, and in fact only adds to the realism. There is a saying in football that "the ball is round, it can go in any direction." My real problem is the abnormally high frequency that this occurs in the new patch. A long-distance, very low percentage shot is used all too frequently to get the AI back into the game.

Instead of changing tactics, a long-range shot is what pulls one back. Long-ball, over the top counter-attacks are to be expected to work every so often, as is a more attacking approach, but a screamer every game as an equalizer, I feel, significantly detracts from the realism, and has reduced the enjoyment I derive from the tactical part of the game that I loved in the previous 2 patches of the game. In my opinion, there is a lot more "luck" associated with AI triumphs against me, rather than tactical nous, which I feel should be changed.

Sorry if my posts seem too negative, I have to say, I absolutely love this game, it's just a bit saddening (and sometimes maddening) that it has gone downhill tactically, from my personal experience at least, since the last patch.

Any thoughts?

not something i have experienced really, but honestly i barely ever change my tactics for anything, if you keep the ball all the time they wont get a chance to shoot at you. so i would keep a high defensive line, and keep passing very short, and slightly defensive

Thanks for all of the tips!

Those are all things that I have tried, as they make sense to me, but I'm just confused why those tweaks don't seem to be working. A game or two, I can understand, but I have reloaded the game several times over in an attempt to see what certain tactical changes and opp. instructions do as far as the play is concerned, and I keep suffering these repeating, nightmare-worthy bombs in the dying minutes.

Which leads me to use the timeless comment of "it's my tactics." Haha ;):thup:

Not seen this as a big problem but when it does happen you do want to throw the PC out of the window! Late goals must be the worst thing in football!

As for giving my PC the old "6th floor treatment," as I like to call it (I live on the 6th floor, and have many a time considered using my laptop as a Newtonian test subject), it might hurt my computer, but I'm sure I would be in far worse pain. :p

Archived