FM09: Official BV Borussia Dortmund Thread

valityr

Borussia_Dortmund.png

BV Borussia Dortmund is a German football club based in Dortmund, North Rhine-Westphalia and one of the most successful clubs in German football. In addition to six German football championships and two DFB Pokal victories, Dortmund won the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup in 1966 (becoming the first German team to win a European title) and the UEFA Champions League in 1997.

Although traditionally being one of the dominant clubs in Germany, in recent years BVB have struggled and last year finished a disappointing 13th (one of the club's worst in the last 20 years) but due to a DFB Pokal final appearance against Bayern Munich (which they lost) Dortmund are in the UEFA Cup this year as Bayern had already qualified for the Champions League.

Do you have what it takes to get BVB out of their financial struggles and retain their status as a national and continental giant?

Signal Iduna Park

1393331090_31feb1547d.jpg

westfalenstadion_400q.jpg

Signal Iduna Park is the largest football stadium in Germany.

The unique "Südtribüne" (Southern Stand, shown in the above picture), with 24,454 enthusiastic standing fans who fill the largest still existing terrace of Europe, makes this stadium one of the most fascinating football-stadiums in the world. It can be converted from standing places (for league games) and seats (for international matches) within two days.

Borussia Dortmund has the highest average attendance of any football club in Europe with a record average of 78,808 spectators in the season 2003/2004.

Team Information

Reputation - National

Chairman Status - Loves the Club

Finances - Okay

Estimated Value - £54m (Loan Debt: £55m)

Stadium - Signal Iduna Park

Stadium Capacity - 80,708 (53,619 seated)

Training Facilities - Top training facilities

Youth Facilities - Excellent facilities and academy

Media Prediction - 11th

German Champions: 1956, 1957, 1963, 1995, 1996, 2002

DFB Cup Winners: 1965, 1989

German Super Cup Winners: 1989, 1995, 1996

Champions League Winners: 1997

European Cup Winners' Cup Winners: 1966

Intercontinental Cup: 1997

Budget

The minimum expectation is that the team achieve a respectable league position;

Position - Transfer Budget - Wage Budget

Top half finish - £2.8m - £525k p/w

Continental qualification through league finish - £2.8m - £525k p/w

Title challenge - £2.8m - £525k p/w

Winner - £3.1m - £525k p/w

Percentage of transfer revenue made available - this varies, the game i started previously had it at 30% but the one i opened to make the thread gave me 75% (ffs).

Squad

bvb_teamfoto_0809.jpg

Goalies:

Roman Weidenfeller

Lucas Kruse

Marc Ziegler

Defenders:

Robert Kovac - DC

Felipe Santana - DC

Neven Subotic - DC (wonderkid)^

Mats Hummels - DC (on loan from Bayern)

Lee Young-Pyo - D/WB RL

Antonio Rukavina - D/WB R

Dede - D/WB L*

Midfielders:

Sebastian Kehl - DM/MC

Marc-André Kruska - DM/MC

Tinga - DM/AMC*

Damir Vrancic - MC

Nuri Sahin - MC^

Patrick Owomoyela - MR

Florian Kringe - MRLC

Lars Ricken - AMRC

Jakub Blasczykowski - AMR

Giovanni Federico - AMRC

Tamás Hajnal - AMLC

Delron Buckley - AML/ST

Attackers:

Mohamed Zidan - AM/FC

Nelson Valdez - ST

Alexander Frei - ST*

Diego Klimowicz - ST

* = Established players at the club

^ = Prospects for the future

Recommended line up:

GK - Weidenfeller

RB - Lee Young-Pyo

LB - Dede

CB - Subotic

CH - Hummels

RM - Federico

LM - Hajnal

CM - Tinga

CM - Sahin

ST - Frei

ST - Zidan

Analysis - Not a great squad, certainly not sufficient to succeed in Europe or the Bundesliga. The CBs are serviceable but lacking in pace so one-on-ones are pretty common. Frei is a decent striker, as is new signing Zidan however he's more of a back-up so i recommend finding a speedy accomplice for Frei. Likewise with RM, Federico is serviceable but you can do better there. Young-Pyo isn't great at RB, Miguel Torres is available for about £2m from Real Madrid and does a surprisingly good job for the money. Also Weidenfeller's contract runs out at the end of season one and doesn't really want to re-sign so finding a potential replacement is useful too, Enyeama is the obvious choice.

I recommend upgrading at RB, RM and ST and then CB or GK if you've got the money left.

Recommended Transfers Out:

Nelson Valdez - £5m

Sebastian Kehl - £5.5m

Florian Kringe - £2.5m

Jakub Blaszczykowski - £4m

Closing Comments

Dortmund definitely have the base for making a comeback in Germany and Europe, however are you up to the challenge of doing so?

Enjoy the game!

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey all. Don't know if many people bother playing as Dortmund, but i'd highly recommend it if you're looking for a good top division challenge. I always have a few saves throughout the year with Dortmund and they're always a very difficult but eventually rewarding team to manage. Good youth prospects, stadium, fans and facilities. It takes a few cheap and clever signings in the first season to get the ball rolling on the path to dominating the Bundesliga and eventually conquering Europe.

The squad obviously needs improving immediately but you have very little to spend. I've brought in some cheap but decent players aiming for more strength in depth.

IN:

Enyeama - 350k

Goian - 1.2m

Kikin Fonseca 1.5m

Fiore - Free

Borges - 650k

Appiah - Free

OUT:

Valdez - 1.9m

Ziegler - 1.2m

Not the best of transfer windows but i'm farely pleased with my dealings.

Its the end of November and i'm currently sitting in 4th in the Bundesliga, have played one Uefa Cup group game losing 2-0 to AC Milan and am in the 3rd round of the German Cup. I'm aiming to finish in the top 4 and qualify from my Uefa Cup group.

Good luck mate.

Do Dortmund have a big loan in the game?

Yes they do have a big loan. Can't remember exactly how much it is, but it is quite a big one if memory serves me correctly. May start a new game as Dortmund later on as my Ajax game is starting to get a bit boring. Will post the loan amounts tonight as i think there's more than one.

They have debts of approximately £63m with payments of £650kp/m until 2020. It is difficult to increase the balance enough to spend good money each summer but its certainly possible. It just takes perseverance.

I'm at 1st Feb in my game so far. Currently 4th in the league with a game in hand over the top 3 so if I beat HSV i'll go up to 3rd. I managed to qualify for the knock-out stages of the Uefa Cup. My next opponent is Sporting CP and the winner of that tie will have to play either Wolfsburg or Dinamo Kiev, so it's a difficult couple of fixtures coming up. I've also got Werder Bremen in the German Cup quarter finals. Things are going well so far.

My balance is at a healthy £20m odd. If I can go all the way in the Uefa Cup and German Cup it should stay above 20m but we'll have to wait and see.

My player of the season so far has got to be Dorin Goian. He's been very impressive alongside Subotic and may even retain his place next season as his stats keep improving along with Subotic's. A real bargain at 1.2m. Enyeama has also been great and Chelsea have been making offers for him. I plan to keep him until I can afford to sign either Ustari or Asenjo, or until Akinfeev's contract is running out.

EDIT:

I forgot to mention that I agreed to sign a young Argentinian called Franco Zuculini at the start of the game and he has just arrived in Jan. Only 18 and according to my scouts/coaches is capable of becoming a leading Bundesliga DM.

Yeah thats a shame about Hummels, Jefke. Although I hardly used him all season he's a handy backup player to have all the same.

Zuculini is already looking very promising after only half a season Purefun. Can't believe i've only just discovered him. Can't wait to see how he turns out in a few years. I can see him and Sahin being my first choice CM's.

I've finished my first season and am already a few games into the second.

I finished 2nd in the league behind Bayern, lost in the Uefa Cup final to Atletico Madrid and won the German Cup beating Karlsruhe on penalties in the final. Overall i'm extremely pleased with my first season given the lack of quality in the team. Although alot of the promising youngsters are starting to mature nicely.

I'll post all my summer transfer dealings in a screenie:

27677575.th.jpg

(Lugano arrived on a free at the end of the season and as mentioned in my last post Zucurini arrived in Jan)

Overall i'm pleased with my squad. Its certainly more capable of winning the league and putting up a decent fight in the CL. I'm aiming for a top 3 league finish and the semi finals of the CL. Retaining the German Cup would be nice too.

Bank balance is currently at £54m so it's deffinately improving.

On a side note, does anybody have any experience with Lautaro Acosta? He was transfer listed and I felt I needed a decent RW to challenge Kuba. Scouts say he has the potential to be a lot better than Kuba. I've never bought him before.

Yeah he was very consistent but in the end I needed the money to increase the quality. I was using him mostly as a LW but once i agreed the deal with Jankovic I thought I might aswell sell. Jankovic is one of the most underated players on the game imo. He was incredible on my Stuttgart save a few weeks back. And of course I have Marin :D

Yeah he was very consistent but in the end I needed the money to increase the quality. I was using him mostly as a LW but once i agreed the deal with Jankovic I thought I might aswell sell. Jankovic is one of the most underated players on the game imo. He was incredible on my Stuttgart save a few weeks back. And of course I have Marin :D

Well I don't argue with this. You are right.

Hey, i want to start as Dortmund but dont want to leave my Bognor Regis season, so Prob will start one when i have finished that, if thats okay.:D

Yeah cool mate. The more the merrier! I plan to keep going with Dortmund for as long as possible. ;)

Thought i'd do an update on my progress.

Halfway through Jan second season. About to resume competitive matches starting with a cup match at home against Hannover. I then have to play them away in the league the following game. Should be interesting.

Dortmund currently sit at the top of the Bundesliga, 2 points clear of 2nd place rivals Bayern. We've managed to qualify for the last 16 of the CL - unfortunately i've been drawn against Real Madrid so i'm expecting an early exit, although i'm pleased with my first CL campaign. It's something to build on for next season.

My squad is coming along nicely. Subotic, Borges, Zuculini, Marin, Sahin and Opare are all developing superbly while Briand, Cardozo and Jankovic have proven invaluable as the season progresses. Despite signing Lugano and holding onto Santana, Goian is proving to be one of my best ever signings due to his consistent performances and a tally of 7 goals in 18 games. I'd highly recommend him to anyone in need of a solid CB. Also, i've managed to secure Mehmet Ekici on a free at the end of the season. With his arrival I should have a potentially world class midfield with little need to improve. Enyeama has been decent but is far from the quality I feel I need to consistently challenge on all fronts. Signing Asenjo, Ustari or Akinfeev is still part of my overall plan.

I'm hoping I can claim the league title come the end of the season and retain the German Cup. Stay tuned :)

Cheers bud ^^. I've got another update. Hopefully it will inspire people to give Dortmund a go.

September 7th 2010 (season 3). Last season I managed to win the Bundesliga on goal difference ahead of Schalke. Retained the German Cup beating Hertha Berlin 2-1 in the final. Was knocked out of the CL by Real Madrid as I predicted. I'm hoping to at least reach the semi's this year though.

I've done quite a bit to the squad in terms of transfers. I've decided to try and bring a more German feel to it and remove as much deadwood as possible while replacing it with better quality. I'm rather pleased so far.

On an interesting note, my bank balance is incredible. It currently sits at £83m! And I was given a decent £16.5m initial transfer kitty. I think its safe to say that I won't be having any more money troubles for a while! :)

Transfers:

79011980.th.jpg

As you'll see I managed to sign Asenjo and ironically brought back Hummels as a backup CB. Khedira impressed me on a previous Stuttgart save so I made him a priority once I knew Borges was on his way out (he became unhappy and wanted to leave). Podolski seemed a good choice given his nationality and Dzeko had all but proclaimed he wanted to join me half way through last season so I thought i'd give him a shot - hopefully he can impress as much as he has irl.

Current Squad:

95247993.th.jpg

I have way too many strikers but thats because I couldn't sell Frei or Zidan before the window closed.

Hoping to Win the league, the cup for third sucessive season and get as far as possible in the CL. I certainly have a squad worthy of a good run.

After doing saves only in England and Portugal i decided to try Germany.

So, i choose Dortmund as it seems to have potencial to be a fun and long save, it's a big club that recently isn´t doing so well but, with some work can become a european giant.

After a quick look and, baring in mind the tactic that i want to use, i'm looking to buy a rb, a couple of wingers, a dc and maybe a sriker.

For now i think that's all, i don't want to change to much the team, as i'm gonna try a champions league place.

Hi ibra8. I'm pleased you've decided to give Dortmund a go. I'm thoroughly enjoying my game so far. It's a challenge, but it's great fun too and as you said has the potential to be a long lasting save.

If I could recommend one player above all it would be Dorin Goian. He cost me £1.3m and is still my first choice CB to partner Subotic. Scored around 15 goals last season and won fans player of the season. RB wise I would stick with Omowoyela for the first season then bid for somebody like Opare next season, plus you'll have Rukavina back from loan who is a decent RB. For my first season I rotated Kringe and Hajnal on the LW and Brought Jankovic in on a free at the end of the season - who by the way is immense on either wing! Also, I'd seriously consider bidding for Celso Borges and Zuculini (who will most likely arive in Jan). They have been great servants while I was still building the team and I was sad to have to sell Borges in the end. Take a look at him at the start of season 3:

94384844.th.jpg

What a beast considering he cost me £650k.

I also bought Kikin Fonseca for £1.6m. He was good but nothing special. Did a good job while i was gathering money.

It jsut takes around a season to endure a mediocre squad but you should be able to sell a few players and replace them with better quality at the start of season 2.

GL and let us know who you buy/sell and how you're doing with BVB.

Hi.

Well i bought 4 players Lavezzi, zucullini(january), opare and a young dc klaas de haan (potencial to become much better than santana) and decided to delay the wingers. Sold gordon and valdez.

I'm gonna use tyler tactics this first season, and after it try to make my own, see if i can make it without "tactical help"

Wich will probably take a long time:D.

Jefke, I signed Borges from a team called Saprissa. He's outstanding considering his initial value. Deffinately worth signing for any team in need of a reliable CM/AM.

ibra8, some good signings there mate. Good idea to delay signing wingers. If you wait till your money increases by the end of the season you'll be able to spend a bit more on higher quality. I'd deffo recommend approaching to sign Jankovic as his contract runs out at the end of season one. Good call on Lavezzi - I forgot about him!

Walk on, is there any decent youngster on borussia youth?

And, how much can I expect in the second season for signings?

By the way i played 2 home games(leverkusen and hertha) and the attendance was great, over 75000:eek: on both.

Walk on, is there any decent youngster on borussia youth?

And, how much can I expect in the second season for signings?

By the way i played 2 home games(leverkusen and hertha) and the attendance was great, over 75000:eek: on both.

So far I haven't had any world class players that have come through the youth ranks. But you do have some excellent prospects in Subotic, Sahin, Hummels (you'll have to sign him permanently), and Blaszczykowski who ends up being wanted by some of Europes top clubs. The only reserve player i've used now and again is David Vrzogic who's a LB. Only to cover injuries though. But have no fear, I have a few regens that look promising so there are good possibilities with Dortmund's excellent youth facilities and academy.

In terms of the second season transfer budget, it really all depends on how well you do in the first season. I had around £10m if i remember correctly but made more by selling players.

Oh and the attendance. Dortmund are one of the best supported teams in Europe and especially the Bundesliga. The annoying loan payments are made easier with such a big stadium and an even bigger fanbase.

Keep us informed dude :p

So far ive been usin that piranha tactic 3 games 1 win to 2 loses all 1-0 that stupid valdez cant hit the net even if the goalie is laying at down the ground :O

i got about 10 shots per game but maybe 2-3 towards the goal :O and barely any long shots so ......

i got hulk on loan

frei should be ok in 1 week and zidan at 2 weeks so

lets hope that i can finally score and winsomething

ill keep u updated

Walk On did you ask to have the stadium expanded?

I didnt get a chance! The board announced at the start of season 2 that an expansion would be taking place. I actually completely forgot about this. As you can see the capicity is now 80,708.

13838829.th.jpg

Oh and good shout on Hulk. He's a great player :)

I didnt get a chance! The board announced at the start of season 2 that an expansion would be taking place. I actually completely forgot about this. As you can see the capicity is now 80,708.

13838829.th.jpg

Oh and good shout on Hulk. He's a great player :)

That's the capacity after expansion?

Because current capacity on my save is 80,708(53619 seated).

Finally the tactic seem to start workin currently 2nd,,, Hulk injured for 2 months scored 3 in 3 games ... but subotic 4 goals in 2 games from corners !!!!!!!!!!!!!

valdez still cant score to save his life but ... frei is getting back and zidan also so

Yeah try and play Valdez in the smaller games to keep his match experience up, then sell him asap. I only got £1.9m for him at the very start of the game but it was worth it. Terrible striker tbh.

Keep up the good work bud. You're doing well ;)

hi

i am playing with dortmund as well. i home you woudnt mind me posting my "career" here :)

here is my team

bvbteam.th.jpg

During 5 compleated seasons i have won:

3 German First Division Titles - Season: 2010;2012;2013

2 German Cups _ Season: 2010;2013

2 Champion League Titles - Season: 2012;2013

(the first Ch. League title was pure luck because of the draw. I played Sporting CP in Quarter final and O. Marseille in Semi Final:)

This season:

Bought:

Bentner Nicklas - free

Bruno Fornaroli - free

Bocalay Garry - 44M KM(around 22Euros)

+some youngsters(scouting for more)

Sold

Alexander Frei - free

Podolski Lukas 12M KM(got him for free)

Subotic Neven 11M KM

Allan McGregor 7M KM

Mangabeira 12M KM