The Bet

Faramir

my 1st CM 03-04 story- Orient of course...

The Bet

Chairman Barry Hearn was visibly nervous as he glanced around before entering the door to the seedy building. As he entered what appeared to be closer to a parlor room rather than the expected pub-like surroundings, he was held up by tall, forceful looking man- who didn't speak, but just held his hand up to stop Hearn in his tracks.

"Business?" the man offered in a clipped tone.

Hearn shakily said, "Uh, um, I am here to see Mr. Drabek- at his request."

The man glanced over at another man that had remained unseen by Hearn.

The shorter man glanced down at a clipboard, "Mr. Hearn?"

"Yes, that is me."

Raising a phone, the man stated "Mr. Hearn is here." With barely time to receive a reply the man hung up the phone and stood up. "Mr. Drabek will see you now." He led the way down a narrow hall and tapped on what appeared to be a very sturdy door. The door swung open and the man motioned Hearn into the dimly lit room.

"Barry! It is so nice to see you," oozed the man- known to Hearn as Drogo Drabek. He waved Hearn to an open seat.

As Hearn made the few steps to the seat he noticed a young, slender raven haired man sitting off to the side. He seated himself, but his visible nervousness was apparent as he sat almost on the edge of the seat.

After he was seated, the man folded his hands and smiled at Hearn. "I am glad you made the choice to accept my invitation for this visit."

Hearn nodded, but didn't offer any comment back.

"Barry, Barry. We have a slight little problem and I thought we might work together to resolve it." He stopped and composed his thoughts. "I do appreciate your business- but I also hope that you appreciate mine. I am in the business of providing services to customers."

"Gambling," spoke up the slender man.

"Will!" The heavyset man snapped at him. "In the course of those services, I believe in offering a reasonable amount of both credit and time to pay off debts that are incurred by my customers. There are limits to both of course- and that brings us to the crux of my problem."

Hearn was visibly sweating and only could nod to the summation.

The man leaned on forward and placed his elbows on the desk, his large stature now visibly apparent, "Now, Barry...I think it is quite reasonable to expect some repayment for those large amount of services you have used. You realize that I also have to answer to creditors, and the large amount incurred by you is certain to become a topic of discussion with them."

Hearn spoke his voice raspy from a dry throat, "But Drogo, I don't have the full amount available to pay you completely right now."

Drogo held up his hand, halting Hearn's stammering speech, "Now Barry, You must realize that I don't want to discuss your problems. I only want to discuss solutions."

Hearn was wide-eyed and realized that Drabek was waiting for him to speak, "Uh, um, I don't know of any quick solution."

The large man smiled, slightly grimly, and leaned back in his chair again, "Well, in that case you are in luck Barry. I happen to have a solution in mind that would please both me and my creditors."

Hearn was definately shaking now, "What might that be?"

Drogo Drabek stood up, his square frame seeming to fill the office, "Barry- I know you are a sporting man- you have given me plenty of evidence in your access of my services."

Hearn visibly winced at the mention of the large gambling debt.

"I have another sporting proposition for you. Your businesses need able leadership, and my son Will here is just the person you need to provide that leadership."

Hearn, suddenly seeing the light at the end of the tunnel- and finding it much brighter than he had anticipated- relaxed slightly, "I am certain that I can place Will in a suitable management position."

Drago smiled, "I was certain that we could reach an equitable compromise. Will would be glad to take over management of Leyton Orient."

"What???" spluttered Hearn. "I can't do that! The Board wouldn't accept it- The federation wouldn't allow it..." he trailed off.

Drogo Drabek leaned threateningly on the desk. He hissed in a low voice full of menace at Hearn, "You can and you will do it- Chairman Hearn. If you fail to do it, you will find your activities leaked to the press, as well as incur the enmity of my associates. Don't worry about your precious federation. This undertaking is not designed to influence Orient into the realm of my services. My son, most unfortunately for me, is somewhat of a straight arrow. He will not and doesn't want anything to do with me or my style of life. I accept his decision on that, but I do owe him a debt of both honor and blood, and this is my repayment. You will appoint him Manager of Leyton Orient- at the end of this week. That should be enough time for you to smooth the way before hand."

Hearn slumped back, terrified at the projected menace, and could only dumbly nod to the demand.

Drabek leaned back again, "I did mention that this is a sporting proposition though Chairman- and I am nothing if not a man of my word. If Will fails to accomplish the reasonable objectives set before him by you and the Board- then you may send him packing. However, you *will* consult with me before those objectives are established- and if I find out you are stacking the deck against him- it will be my wrath you will incur." Drabek stood up and walked around the desk, "Agreed?" he stated in a low tone.

Hearn nodded, and dryly said, "Agreed."

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my 1st CM 03-04 story- Orient of course...

The Bet

Chairman Barry Hearn was visibly nervous as he glanced around before entering the door to the seedy building. As he entered what appeared to be closer to a parlor room rather than the expected pub-like surroundings, he was held up by tall, forceful looking man- who didn't speak, but just held his hand up to stop Hearn in his tracks.

"Business?" the man offered in a clipped tone.

Hearn shakily said, "Uh, um, I am here to see Mr. Drabek- at his request."

The man glanced over at another man that had remained unseen by Hearn.

The shorter man glanced down at a clipboard, "Mr. Hearn?"

"Yes, that is me."

Raising a phone, the man stated "Mr. Hearn is here." With barely time to receive a reply the man hung up the phone and stood up. "Mr. Drabek will see you now." He led the way down a narrow hall and tapped on what appeared to be a very sturdy door. The door swung open and the man motioned Hearn into the dimly lit room.

"Barry! It is so nice to see you," oozed the man- known to Hearn as Drogo Drabek. He waved Hearn to an open seat.

As Hearn made the few steps to the seat he noticed a young, slender raven haired man sitting off to the side. He seated himself, but his visible nervousness was apparent as he sat almost on the edge of the seat.

After he was seated, the man folded his hands and smiled at Hearn. "I am glad you made the choice to accept my invitation for this visit."

Hearn nodded, but didn't offer any comment back.

"Barry, Barry. We have a slight little problem and I thought we might work together to resolve it." He stopped and composed his thoughts. "I do appreciate your business- but I also hope that you appreciate mine. I am in the business of providing services to customers."

"Gambling," spoke up the slender man.

"Will!" The heavyset man snapped at him. "In the course of those services, I believe in offering a reasonable amount of both credit and time to pay off debts that are incurred by my customers. There are limits to both of course- and that brings us to the crux of my problem."

Hearn was visibly sweating and only could nod to the summation.

The man leaned on forward and placed his elbows on the desk, his large stature now visibly apparent, "Now, Barry...I think it is quite reasonable to expect some repayment for those large amount of services you have used. You realize that I also have to answer to creditors, and the large amount incurred by you is certain to become a topic of discussion with them."

Hearn spoke his voice raspy from a dry throat, "But Drogo, I don't have the full amount available to pay you completely right now."

Drogo held up his hand, halting Hearn's stammering speech, "Now Barry, You must realize that I don't want to discuss your problems. I only want to discuss solutions."

Hearn was wide-eyed and realized that Drabek was waiting for him to speak, "Uh, um, I don't know of any quick solution."

The large man smiled, slightly grimly, and leaned back in his chair again, "Well, in that case you are in luck Barry. I happen to have a solution in mind that would please both me and my creditors."

Hearn was definately shaking now, "What might that be?"

Drogo Drabek stood up, his square frame seeming to fill the office, "Barry- I know you are a sporting man- you have given me plenty of evidence in your access of my services."

Hearn visibly winced at the mention of the large gambling debt.

"I have another sporting proposition for you. Your businesses need able leadership, and my son Will here is just the person you need to provide that leadership."

Hearn, suddenly seeing the light at the end of the tunnel- and finding it much brighter than he had anticipated- relaxed slightly, "I am certain that I can place Will in a suitable management position."

Drago smiled, "I was certain that we could reach an equitable compromise. Will would be glad to take over management of Leyton Orient."

"What???" spluttered Hearn. "I can't do that! The Board wouldn't accept it- The federation wouldn't allow it..." he trailed off.

Drogo Drabek leaned threateningly on the desk. He hissed in a low voice full of menace at Hearn, "You can and you will do it- Chairman Hearn. If you fail to do it, you will find your activities leaked to the press, as well as incur the enmity of my associates. Don't worry about your precious federation. This undertaking is not designed to influence Orient into the realm of my services. My son, most unfortunately for me, is somewhat of a straight arrow. He will not and doesn't want anything to do with me or my style of life. I accept his decision on that, but I do owe him a debt of both honor and blood, and this is my repayment. You will appoint him Manager of Leyton Orient- at the end of this week. That should be enough time for you to smooth the way before hand."

Hearn slumped back, terrified at the projected menace, and could only dumbly nod to the demand.

Drabek leaned back again, "I did mention that this is a sporting proposition though Chairman- and I am nothing if not a man of my word. If Will fails to accomplish the reasonable objectives set before him by you and the Board- then you may send him packing. However, you *will* consult with me before those objectives are established- and if I find out you are stacking the deck against him- it will be my wrath you will incur." Drabek stood up and walked around the desk, "Agreed?" he stated in a low tone.

Hearn nodded, and dryly said, "Agreed."

Thanks HD- I have been online for almost 10 years now with this nickname, nice to see how many people now know who that is icon_smile.gif

Great to have you along again LO 212- kutgw on your story icon_smile.gif

Hearn sat in the chair and looked morosely out the window, "Well, it is done. You are manager of Orient now- and I think you realize that I don't know whether to hope you succeed- or fail."

Will Drabek lounged in another chair, "Personally, wouldn't it be better for both of us if I succeed?" he stated dryly.

Hearn peered at him, and gave a nod after a moment of thought.

"You assumed that I orchestrated this?" questioningly commented the younger man.

Hearn nodded again, sitting up more in his chair.

Will Drabek snorted, a derisive short laugh, "I am as much a pawn as you Chairman. But my father always pays his debts and this is my payment- something I also did not want."

Hearn couldn't help himself, "What does he owe you for?"

Drabek shrugged, "Saving his life."

"What?"

An audible sigh escaped Drabek, "He was beset by a gunman last year. I happened to be behind the man. It was all reactions when I knocked him out."

"Why Orient? Why me?"

"Because you were handy. He is very good at exploiting his tools as he discovers them. I had avoided him and his business as much as humanly possible growing up. He didn't mind my reticence much- after all I have an older brother who has been his protege for quite some time. But, his code is always to pay his debts- and that created quite a quandry for him when I saved him. He grabbed at the straw you offered him."

"Do you have *any* Managerial experience?"

Drabek stood up and strolled to the window, "Well, not exactly the type you are hoping for. I have been managing a Norwegian hockey team for several years, so I do have the experience in actual sports management- but my football management has been limited to Championship Manager."

"A bl**dy game? That's *all* the football management you know???"

Drabek shrugged, "Yes. So my first step will be to hire a good Assistant to help tutor me in many ways. I do know how to manage people- a lifetime in my father's lengthy shadow and my own work have taught me well in that area. I hope to surprise both of us."

Hearn slumped again saying nothing.

Drabek murmured, "The consequences of failure in this affect not only you Chairman."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Faramir:

_Thanks HD- I have been online for almost 10 years now with this nickname, nice to see how many people now know who that is icon_smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clearly you're named after Faramir Took, son of Pippin icon_smile.gif

Hearn looked at Drabek with a pained expression, "What is your stake in this? What leverage does Drogo have with you?"

"More than you think Chairman. More than you know."

It was Hearn's turn to snort, "Sure. More than your life, livlihood and good name."

Drabek turned and stared at him, for the first time revealing the icy glare of the fire and determination in him. "OK, fair enough. Here is the rest of my story. Drogo and my mother split up a long time ago. She moved away from him, but we couldn't fully escape his influence on our lives. When she moved away, Hugo- my older brother, stayed with him. He was already the annoited one to take over the business and was old enough to sneer at my choice of staying with my mother. With my mother and I went my younger sister- Mary. Though Drogo offered me chances to take the easy way and join the business, I was dead set against it, and always turned him down. After awhile, he tired of offering and grudgingly accepted that I would have no part of it."

Drabek paused and looked for a few moments out the window. "I went my own way and was actually quite content. I went to America for awhile and worked as General Manager for a minor league baseball team. I tired of the American lifestyle and found work managing a Norwegian Hockey team. It seemed things were looking very well- it had been a long time since I had heard from either Drogo or Hugo. That changed when Mary called me. She was crying. What I got out of her was that when she was still in her wild stage- she committed a couple fairly serious indiscretions. Somehow, Drogo- or more likely Hugo, who has never cared for either of us- got ahold of the evidence. Despite wanting to stay away from Drogo, I am now again entangled with him."

Drabek sat down again and leaned forward with his elbows on his knees. "I had gone to meet with him about Mary and her past. While arriving at the meeting, I stumbled onto the gunman and after I accidently saved his life, he was suddenly in debt to me- as well as ready to twist me with the evidence of Mary's past. His solution was to offer me a 'sporting proposition'- very similar to the one he approached you with. My bet with him is that I could raise Orient to Premier Level. If I can advance the club, he will obliterate the three pieces of evidence that he is holding over Mary. So, to answer your question yes- it is bl**dy important to me Chairman- I am playing for my sister's life."

Hearn appeared slightly stunned at the story, "I don't really understand. What does he have against your sister? Why would he ruin her life."

Drabek leaned back and sighed, "He wants her in his business. He is certain that there are portions of his business that need a lady's touch and finesse- and he, or Hugo- I am not totally certain whose idea that is, will use the evidence to force her to join the business. She came to me with all of that, and I would do anything to keep my sister out of his clutches- and both he and Hugo know that."

"So now do you understand failure is not an option for me as well?"

Hearn nodded in agreement.

"Then how about we quit this fencing and get on with the business of accomplishing with Orient."

Hearn picked up the phone and heard Drabek commenting, "Just leave it on the desk- I'll be with you in a couple minutes. Sorry about that Chairman, I just wanted to let you know that I have found an Assistant Manager. His name is Spencer Field- just didn't want you to hear about it in the papers first."

"I know of him, but isn't he an out-of-work Scout with a pretty poor reputation. Are you certain he is the right person to be working with you?"

Hearn could almost hear Drabek's nod on the telephone, "I have talked and interviewed dozens of people in the last five days. I don't really care what Field's reputation was- he has past credentials of working as Manager of Under-19 squads and I am convinced he is what I need. I understand the dynamics of a club, but I need an Assistant who is very good at evaluating football personnel, since that is what I am most lacking in. Field has a very good tactical awareness- he understands the concepts of the offense that I want to develop here- and I think he will relate well in teaching younger players."

Drabek could almost envision Hearn's shrug, "If you say so Will. You are the one who needs to get along with him and depend on him- the choice is yours."

Drabek strode into the empty training room, "Spencer, I would like to hire you as Assistant Manager."

Field looked at Drabek with his mouth slightly askance, "Assistant Manager? I thought you were interviewing me for a scouting position."

"No. I want you as my Assistant. Still interested?"

Field looked away a moment, "Sure. How can I turn down that kind of opportunity. You do realize it has been quite a few years since I handled a squad as a coach though?"

"I know that. In some ways we will be learning this together. But we will have to get our sh*t together pretty quickly- we don't have a lot of time before friendlies start."

They walked into Drabek's office and both sat down.

Drabek leaned back and stared at the ceiling a moment, "This is the starting point Spencer. I want to give you a concept that I picked up working in America in their baseball minor leagues. The fancy name they gave it is 'freely available talent' and you can probably guess what it means."

Field nodded, "It must be free transfer players in football equivalence."

It was Drabek's turn to nod, "Exactly. That is our starting point for now. We do have limited transfer funds from the Chairman, but I don't plan to use them unless it is for a player I really think we need and have to purchase. For the most part, I want to sign players on free to help fill out the squad. Once the new scouts are on board- we should be able to start looking for undervalued players and also have them beating the bushes for good free talent."

"We are adding new scouts then?" asked Field.

"Yes, at least two, maybe as many as four. I don't really have a high opinion of Ronnie Gale and Jamie Parson's at this point. They are competent, but I am not sure they can really find the type of players I think we will need. I think they are a bit too used to how the past manager's styles and offense were structured. For now, plan on meeting with me in a week to evaluate whatever potential signings we might have on the table at that point. In the meantime, take a good look around at the club and everything involved with it- I want your viewpoint on everything you see."

Drabek and Field were again meeting in Drabek's office- this time around a conference table strewn with folders full of player evaluations.

"It didn't take long for Dave (Jarrett) and Ian (John) to come up some interesting possibilities," commented Dorn.

Field didn't look up from his reading, "No, and they came up with a bunch of good choices- at least from my perspective."

Drabek glanced down at the pile, "OK Spencer, give me your take on these- I need some input."

Field looked up and started picking through the piles, "Offer these players contracts- the sooner the better."

"Fine, but spell out to me what you are thinking here Spencer."

Field glanced over at Drabek, "Uh, ok- what is it you want to know in particular?"

Drabek waved his hand at the pile, "I need to know what aspects make you like these players you are selecting."

Field looked through the folders again, "Michael Sisson- AMC- good young player in my estimation. He is a good passer and an underrated tackler. He can be very valuable in our central midfield- especially if we are relying on counter-attacking."

"Jason Lanns- DLC- another solid younger player- likely best at leftback and not in the center. With everyone and their brother scouting Matt Lockwood, we need to have another quality player around in case we can't keep him."

"Nicky Hill- DLC- he can help us in the center- I don't know why no one has snapped him up."

"Bryon Glasgow AMRLC- a very versatile midfielder- I really like his decision making and I think at the least he could fill in anywhere in our midfield."

"Paul Moss DC- I think he can really help us in the middle with his marking ability- he may not tackle as well as Justin Miller or Simon Downer- but he can shut opposing forward's down."

"Paul Culshaw- DRC- We could use some better cover for Matthew Joseph and he looks like a solid player- who could start if needed because of injury."

"Matthew Ghent- GK- Lee Harrison is solid, but banking on our youngsters Morris and Jones as his backups means we are putting a lot on the line in case of injury."

"Last but not least- it will take some real money to land this one, but he is worth it- Kevin Grogan. I think Millwall is slightly deranged to have released him- but he could turn into a very, very good midfielder with some patience and development. I think we can give him the playing time needed."

"You surprised me," offered Spencer Field to open the morning meeting with Drabek.

"How's that?" asked Drabek.

"When I laid out that list of players, I thought you might be able to land a couple of them- but you bettered that by quite a bit- and you landed Grogan. Pretty good work- how did you manage that?"

Drabek laughed, "I was on the phone 2 minutes after you left that meeting- tracking down agents for those players. I stuck with the discussions until those agents and the players were convinced they are part of the new Orient 'wave'."

Field chuckled, "Good sales job then. Landing Grogan, Glasgow, Hill, Sisson, Lanns and Moss means that we have a lot more solid depth than we had a week ago. You also managed to sell Thorpe, Peters, Ibhere, Tate and Brazier- I count that as addition by subtraction in saving us wages."

Drabek glanced at him, "You really didn't believe that I had the kind of experience to handle this club, did you?"

Field answered his look with a level look of his own, "Honestly, no- I didn't. I thought you were a piker tossed a boon by Hearn. After all, look who you hired as your Assistant?"

They both chuckled at that.

Drabek leaned up against one of the walls, "I hope you're convinced that there is a plan- and that I do have a clue now. I may not have the judgement of football abilities- that is why I need you, so I can learn- but I do know players, agents and how to work the string."

Field nodded without saying anything.

Drabek motioned over to the conference table, littered with more scouting reports, "There's the next batch- take a look at them and give me some gems."

Dorn brought them both coffee as Field picked through the stacked folders. "Find anything yet?"

Field glanced up, "We are still sticking to the inexpensive, yet worthy model- correct?"

Drabek bobbed his head.

"Ok, here are several that would have to be purchased, but none of them should cost too much," he picked up a folder and tossed it onto the chair closest to Drabek.

"Scott Huckerby- AMRL- I have always loved this guy, he has the ability to make things happen down either wing and is perfectly suited for the kind of attack we will be using. He shouldn't cost much maybe 5-10K at the most, since Eastwood isn't really in the position to turn down an offer of cash."

"Carlin Itonga- AM/FR- I agree with the scouts that he might be too young for a lot of first team play, but with his speed and his finishing ability- he is about as good a forward as you can find for how cheap he should come- Cambridge City will likely accept about any cash offer you can make."

"Johann Torhallsson- FLC- Looks like he would be worth every pound you pay for him. I really like his blend of talents and try hard to sweet talk Tor out of him."

Field rubbed his forehead with his hand, then reached and grabbed a couple other folders, "Here are two more free players- but landing them will be very difficult."

"Nii Lamptey- FC- He is from Ghana and is not a European National, so the government will dictate his availabilty."

Drabek held up his hand, "Ok, I am lacking knowledge on that- spell out what needs to happen."

Field shook his head, "You don't know about Work Permits? Ok, if we do manage to ink him to a contract, the review board will decide if he gets a Work Permit to play here. If we do get the WP, then he can lose it if he doesn't play enough."

Drabek arched his hands, "I understand now. Is Lamptey worth the effort?"

"Yes," stated Field plainly. "And both the scout and I think that he would get the WP- based on his play for their National side."

"The other one, and like Grogan, I think it would take serious money and effort to sign him, is AMC Silvio Reinaldo Spann- I am not sure why Perugia released him. He would be a great addition in the middle and paired with Grogan or Sisson would give us a potential game breaker in the center midfield."

"Another midfielder who should be easier to land is Chris O'Brien from Droylsden. I am not really sure if he is ready for Division 3- he didn't seem to be when with Chester a couple years ago- but he could develop into a pretty solid midfielder with a little patience."

Field stopped and seemed lost in thought a minute, then reached into the pile and searched until he found another folder.

"Here is a real sleeper for you. Ryan Thompson didn't play for anyone last season after Northampton released him- but I think we should sign him. He has exceptional pace and solid stamina. He would fit right into a counterattacking offense like ours, because he can outpace most defenders- especially at Division 3 level."

Drabek smiled, "That's exactly the kind of insight I want from you Spencer. If you'll excuse me, I have a few phone calls to make."

"I know it was only preseason, but you seem to be a bl**dy miracle worker," stated Spencer Field.

"Like you said, it was only preseason- friendlies- it means nothing. If we don't have success to start the season- see how quickly all this euphoria evaporates," flatly replied Drabek.

Field shook his head, "It isn't just the friendlies though Will. The squad, the fans, even the Board are excited- I know it hasn't been like that around here in a long time. Look at how you landed both Lamptey and Spann despite my naysaying- this club feels very tightly wound, like it could explode against Division 3."

"It took some real work to get Lamptey and Spann- but they look like they will be key players for us. I am happy at how balanced our attack has been through the friendlies. We move the ball well and when we get the ball out and run the wings- we can create a lot of problems for other clubs. All the additions have helped us the most on our team speed- we can put a lot of pressure on most clubs all over the pitch because of that," commented Dorn.

Field stopped and thought, "Have you made another offer to Matthew Ghent? I am still worried about youngsters covering in case of injury to Harrison."

"No, I don't think I will be either. He wanted too much for a weekly wage and the promise of a lot of play- and I am not willing to promise him either. I have been pleased with Morris' work so far- he will be the backup for now. I asked all our scouts to keep their ears peeled for any keepers that might be available. Because we didn't have to spend much of the existing transfer funds to fill out the squad- and with the funds from the other transfers- we do have a little warchest if we find one. The Board is complaining that our weekly wages are higher than they want- but I am not too concerned about that."

Field shrugged, "You have to pay top dollar to land players like Spann and Grogan. The Board still seems pretty excited about the win over Coventry."

"It's ok to be excited, but until we accomplish something in divisional play- it won't mean a hell of a lot. The bookies don't seem too enamored with us despite the win over Coventry."

"Then they aren't seeing it-- because though going undefeated in friendlies means nothing- that performance against Coventry capped one of the finest preseasons of any club I have been around," commented Field. "By the way, I couldn't resist- so I had a friend put a little on us to gain promotion. I really think we will get there."

Drabek looked away and Field could barely hear him whisper, "So do I, So do I- we must."

Carlisle (2) Leyton Orient (3)

Carlisle- C.Farrell 45 B.Wake 90

Orient- R.Thompson 2,13 M.Joseph 48

MOM- R.Thompson, Leyton Orient

It was a great debut for speed merchant Ryan Thompson as he dominated the Carlisle backline in the early stages of the match. In the 2nd minute he headed a Nii Lamptey corner and after Matthew Glennon made a brilliant parry he was the first one to the rebound and slotted it over a prostate Glennon for an early Orient lead. His 2nd goal came courtesy of Johann Torhallsson who made a thoughtful through ball that allowed Thompson to outrace the Carlisle defenders. Left with a simple dribble and finish Thompson easily beat onrushing Glennon. The home side drew a goal back in first half injury time when Craig Farrell volleyed a Brendan McGill cross past Lee Harrison. Orient boosted the lead back up to two in the opening moments of the 2nd half when Matthew Joseph outleaped his marker to head in a Silvio Reinaldo Spann corner. Carlisle tried to rally and kept pressure on Orient, but it wasn't until the last moments of 2nd half injury time that they finally managed their 2nd goal when Brian Wake headed a Paul Simpson corner over a diving Harrison.

Stick with Glenn Morris - he's a decent keeper when he isn't being sent off. Don't play him against Cheltenham though icon_wink.gif

Looks like you've got as good a squad as in your last story... hopefully as much success will follow. KUTGW

(will drop you a line after Xmas, esp if the Os form keeps picking up)

*chuckle* OK- thanks E7 and LO212 icon_wink.gif

Sheffield Wednesday (2) Leyton Orient (1) League Cup 1st round

Wednesday- J.Lester (40) S.Kabba (89)

Orient- C.Itonga (14)

MOM- Peter Ndlovu, Sheffield Wednesday

A heartbreaking, yet encouraging road loss for Orient in the 1st round of the League Cup. Carlin Itonga scored a superb goal in his debut as Ryan Thompson's 40 yard pass put him clear behind the defense and his low shot scorched past onrushing Paddy Kenny. Wednesday evened the match after pressuring Orient throughout the half as Robert Page took the ball from Itonga and slid it to Peter Ndlovu- who made a dazzling pass that allowed Jack Lester to volley past Lee Harrison. The deciding goal came from Steve Kabba who took advantage of an atrocious decision by Justin Miller and came in free on Harrison before firing a rising shot past him. It was a valiant effort by Orient, but that late goal knocked the last wind out of them and the final moments passed quietly.

Kidderminster (2) Leyton Orient (0)

Kidderminster- M.Ashikodi 9 J.Williams 57

Orient- None

MOM- John Williams, Kidderminster

It was a quick turnaround for another road match and Orient played poorly. The home fans were buoyed early when Lee Harrison's poor goal kick set up a pass from Craig Hinton to Dean Bennett. Bennett touched the ball on and Moses Ashikodi easily beat Nicky Hill before slotting a rising shot past Harrison. Orient never managed much offensive flow in the match and Kidderminster administered the coup de grace early in the 2nd half when Ashikodi sent a through ball that again found Hill poorly positioned as Williams streaked in alone on Williams and easily drilled the shot past him. Orient couldn't manage a decent chance after that and went quietly in the loss.

"Are you sure Spencer? 14K seems a bit much- more than I had planned on spending at least," commented Drabek.

"We need a solid rightback as cover for Matt Joseph and Stephen Clegg is perfect. Joseph may only play another year or two- so developing Clegg will help us in the long-term. I really do think he is worth the cost," stated Field.

"Ok, I will give Stalybridge a jingle and accept the offer. Do you think Coomber is worth signing on free?" asked Dorn.

"He has some good abilities- it's hard to tell, but he may well turn into a solid addition- so yes."

Leyton Orient (4) Bristol Rovers (0)

Orient- N.Lamptey 52, R.Williams 70,80 B.Glasgow 74

Bristol- None

MOM- Ryan Thompson, Leyton Orient

Orient settled themselves after a poor first half that had the Brisbane Road faithful grumbling. The first half was an entirely boring affair with each side managing only a single shot. Orient finally broke on top when Scott Huckerby's free kick was headed by Nii Lamptey past Kevin Miller on the near post. Johann Torhallsson set up the 2nd goal by outleaping the defender and then sending a beatiful curving cross that Ryan Thompson was able to snare before beating Miller on a low shot to the far side of the net. Following Bristol's Anwar Uddin being sent off at 61 minutes for his 2nd yellow, it was Torhallsson who again made a brilliant cross and Byron Glasgow was on the spot to head it in for the 3-0 Orient lead. Thompson then capped off the scoring in the match as Marcus Ebdon made a neat touch pass that put him through on Miller and he chipped it past him into the near post to complete the convincing win.

A goof LO212 *sigh*- sometimes you fall back into the rythym of past stories...

Leyton Orient (1) Oxford (1)

Orient- J.Torhallsson 56

Oxford- D.Merris 42

MOM- David Merris, Oxford

In an evenly played contest, Orient fought back from a first half deficit to split the points with visiting Oxford. The visitors outplayed Orient through most of the first half and were rewarded late in the half when Bryan Stewart was able to outleap Simon Downer on a Geoff Pitcher corner and headed across the face of the net. David Merris dove and deflected the ball into the far corner of the net to give the halftime lead to Oxford. Orient managed a slight rally to open the 2nd half and brilliant work by Nii Lamptey- as he wended past two defenders before crossing- set up Johann Torhallsson to head in the equalizer. Oxford then took control for the remainder of the match as the restless Brisbane Crowd had to wait with baited breath until the final whistle to see Orient hold on for the draw.

Darlington (1) Leyton Orient (1)

Darlington- F.Bossy 67

Orient- J.Torhallsson 9

MOM- Matthew Joseph, Leyton Orient

Orient and Darlington each struggled in the match and the 1-1 draw was a fair result for both sides' efforts. Johann Torhallsson notched the first goal of the match, after Nicky Hill intercepted a clearing kick and made a long header to unattended Gary Alexander. Alexander then whipped a cross into Torhallsson, who beat two defenders to the ball and though Andy Collett got a piece of the ball- he couldn't stop it from going past him into the net. Darlington evened the match in the 2nd half when Fabien Bossy converted a penalty kick past Lee Harrison, after Paul Moss was judged to have pushed Neil Maddison in the area. Neither side had really good chances following the penalty and both seemed lulled into the final result from there on.

Leyton Orient (3) Cheltenham (1)

Orient- M.Ebdon 7 J.Torhallsson 31,52-P

Cheltenham- B.Cozic 90

MOM- Glenn Morris, Leyton Orient

Orient took advantage of a stellar performance from keeper Glenn Morris is his first start this season and despite being outshot by the visiting side handily won at Brisbane Road. Marcus Ebdon gave Orient the early lead as he headed a Scott Huckerby corner past Shane Higgs. It was a 2-0 halftime lead thanks to an excellent individual effort by Johann Torhallsson. John Brough made a poor free kick that Scott Huckerby headed back into the middle of the pitch, Torhallsson and Brough both contested the ball and Torhallsson came away with it. Shane Higgs made a brilliant parry of Torhallsson's 20 yard blast, but Johann was first to the loose ball and took it around the prone Higgs before slotting it home. Brough then was guilty of holding Torhallsson's shirt in the area and Torhallsson converted the ensuing penalty kick to make it 3-0. Cheltenham finally scored on Morris in 2nd half injury time when Bertrand Cozic headed a long Jamie Victory throw in- and though Morris stopped it- was able to half-volley the rebound past him to ruin his shot at a deserved clean sheet.

"Sorry, but I don't agree with this purchase. Look, Opara was here before and couldn't gain a starting position *then*- you really think he is going to help us now?" asked Field.

Drabek thought a moment and nodded, "I still think he will give us some cover that we are lacking now- he has at least a couple qualities that should make him acceptable on the wing- and he is cheap."

Field shook his head negatively, "I think you are wasting a roster spot and wages on him- even if cheap- but it's your call."

Orient Brings Back Opara

Leyton Orient boss Will Drabek today announced the transfer purchase of past Orient winger Kelechi Opara. The purchase price paid to Heybridge was reportedly at modest 4K.

Mansfield (0) Leyton Orient (2)

Mansfield- None

Orient- J.Torhallsson 25 G.Alexander 80

MOM- Scott Huckerby, Leyton Orient

In another closely played road match, Orient stayed the course and through dogged midfield defense and a couple key plays were able to secure a worthy road victory. Scott Huckerby made a beautiful play to set up Johann Torhallsson for the lone goal in the first half. Huckerby beat Tony Vaughan on the dribble at the baseline before smartly crossing to a trailing Torhallsson- who deflected the ball past Scott Bevan into the near side of the net. Gary Alexander then capped off the win with a clinching goal as Nii Lamptey made a brilliant left side run down the length of the pitch before throwing a cross over everyone. Alexander used his quickness to arrive first and slid the ball under a diving Bevan to cap off a good 2-0 win.

"Spencer take a look at this one and see what you think," asked Drabek as he tossed Spencer Field a scouting folder.

"Pretty young- has some good physical traits for how young he is. Hasn't yet played professional- where did we find him?"

"Youth search."

"Likely worth a minimal contract then- we aren't that deep on our backline."

Leyton Orient Signs Youngster

Orient today announced the signing of defender Curtis Davis. He is expected to go directly into the reserves lineup.

Leyton Orient (1) Hull (2)

Orient- R.Thompson 8

Hull- M.Reddy 46 L.Johnson 70

MOM- Justin Whittle, Hull

Orient played a superb first half against the strong visiting side that Hull fielded and was rewarded by carrying a 1-0 lead to halftime. Things came apart in the 2nd half as skipper Lee Harrison wasn't sharp and the visitors made their chances count in coming from behind to beat Orient 2-1. It was a quick start for Orient as Ryan Thompson picked up a rebound and slotted it home for his 5th goal of the season after Johann Torhallsson's blast had been parried by Paul Musselwhite. Hull evened it at the start of the 2nd half when Thomas Pinault slid a ball across the top of the area and Michael Reddy escaped marking to drive it past Harrison. It was Pinault's corner that Lee Johnson dove and headed past Harrison for the match winning goal in the 70th minute. Justin Whittle did an excellent job in policing Johann Torhallsson in earning MOM honors.

Yeovil (1) Leyton Orient (0)

Yeovil- K.Gall 3

Orient- None

MOM- Glenn Morris, Leyton Orient

It was a closely played match at Huish Park, but Yeovil took full advantage of Kevin Gall's rebound goal to edge visiting Orient. On Gall's goal, it was the Orient defense clearly to blame as Glenn Morris parried two close in shots by Darren Way and Winfield Steele, before Gall was finally able to beat him. Morris kept Orient in the match with some stellar work in the 2nd half, but it wasn't to be as sub Stephen Collis (who came on for injured starting keeper Chris Weale in the 23rd minute) also had a dazzling match in keeping a clean sheet for the home side.

Huddersfield (O) Leyton Orient (2)

Huddersfield- None

Orient- J.Torhallsson 8 M.Joseph 58

Orient remedied their poor offensive showing in their last match with a quick strike to tone down the Huddersfield crowd. Scott Huckerby put Ryan Thompson away cleanly and as the defense flowed to Thompson he sent the ball to a wide open Johann Torhallsson, who had an easy time chipping it into the open net. The home side surged to the attack, but Lee Harrison kept them off the scoreline as Orient led 1-0 at half. Huddersfield was again pressing at the start of the 2nd half and Lee Fowler clanged one off the post, but they lost a lot of heart when Matthew Joseph headed a Silvio Reinaldo Spann corner past Andy Jeffrey to boost Orient. Orient played staunch defense from that point and didn't allow Huddersfield another solid opportunity the remainder of the match in closing out the 2-0 road win.

Leyton Orient (4) Bury (1)

Orient- R.Thompson 1,45 S.Huckerby 28 J.Torhallsson 58

Bury- D.Swailes 84-P

In a midweek tilt, Orient quickly demoralized and dominated an obviously tired visiting Bury. Orient pumped 26 shots at Bury keeper Glyn Garner enroute to the convincing win. In the opening flurry Nii Lamptey beat Garner cleanly, only to see it bounce off the post- right back to Ryan Thompson who whistled it past Garner. Johann Torhallsson's great vision allowed him to find Scott Huckerby scooting in unattended to the far post- Garner made a good initial save- but Huckerby then rammed the rebound home for his 1st goal at Orient. It was 3-0 at half after Thompson's 2nd goal of the match as Matthew Joseph made a brilliant long pass to find him alone for an easy marker. Torhallsson's goal was close to a repeat of Thompson's 2nd as Matt Lockwood made a dazzling pass that Torhallsson half-volleyed past Garner. The lone Bury highlight was Danny Swailes ruining Lee Harrison's clean sheet as he converted a penalty kick after Greg Heald was whistled for holding Dave Nugent in the area.

"I don't know about this one Spencer. Do we really need to add him?" asked Drabek while reviewing a scouting folder.

"Blois is a good addition- since he is free. He is young enough to develop and help us at leftback," firmly stated Field.

Orient Signs Blois

Leftback Lewis Blois, released earlier this season by Norwich, was signed by Leyton Orient today. Manager Drabek expressed confidence that Blois will develop into a promising fullback.

"Look, Will. I don't agree with this purchase. I don't think he is going to help us in the long run and it sure looks to me like you are making a reaction purchase," stated Field.

Drabek shrugged, "Maybe so Spencer. I like some aspects of his game- and I think he will provide cover for Johann at least in the future. For now- with all the injuries we are seeing up front, I think he can provide some short-term production."

Orient Lands Kimmins

Leyton Orient, struggling with injuries in the frontline, today purchased forward Ged Kimmins from Salford for a reported paltry amount of 2K.

Leyton Orient (3) Cambridge (1)

Orient- S.Huckerby 5 J.Torhallsson 12 M.Sisson 34

Cambridge- D.Chillingworth 56

Orient jumped on visiting Cambridge early as a long Stephen Clegg pass up the right wing found Ryan Thompson. Thompson touch passed the ball to a moving Scott Huckerby and he blasted the ball past Shaun Marshall. Clegg also helped set the stage for the 2nd goal with a long cross field cross to Matt Lockwood. Lockwood then sent a looping pass into the area and Johann Torhallsson was able to deflect it past Marshall. Orient moved up 3-0 at haltime when Michael Sisson headed a Huckerby corner home for his 1st Orient goal. The lone highlight for the visitors was when Daniel Chillingworth took a loose ball and wheeled to fire it past Lee Harrison to ruin the keeper's clean sheet.

Peterborough (3) Leyton Orient (1) Vans Trophy South 1st Round

Peterborough- A.Fotiadis 72,87 D.Farrell 76

Orient- G.Alexander 88

MOM- Andrew Fotiadis, Peterborough

Following the loss, Manager Drabek owned up to what many in the press saw as a mistake, when he acknowledged the decision to shift to a more offensive attacking approach halfway through the 2nd half cost Orient the match. The match had been a very taut affair, with Glenn Morris and Mark Tyler staging a worthy duel in net. Peterborough finally moved on top when Matt Nolan moved past Stephen Clegg down the right wing and then crossed to Andrew Fotiadis for an easy header after Justin Miller had lost track of Fotiadis. David Farrell made it 2-0 when he capped a pretty passing series by banking Leon McKenzie's cross in off the post. Nolan made another superb cross and Fotiadis again banked it home to make it 3-0 before Gary Alexander scored a consolation goal when put free by Nii Lamptey.

Oxford (1) Leyton Orient (4)

Oxford- P.Wanless 48

Orient- R.Thomspon 58,66 S.Huckerby 67 J.Torhallsson 81

Following a scoreless first half that featured plenty of chances for both clubs- but no goals- it was Paul Wanless who put the home side up in the opening moments of the 2nd half. Wanless drilled a 30 yard shot that Silvio Reinaldo Spann deflected. All of Orient was left watching frustrated as the ball trickled into the net, while Lee Harrison- put off by the deflection- was unable to change course and snare the slow moving ball. Orient evened the match when Andy Crosby's backpass to keeper Lee Camp instead wound up going directly to Ryan Thompson as Johann Torhallsson harried Crosby. Thompson had an easy time slotting the ball past Camp to even the match. Thompson struck again for his 2nd goal of the match after a poor Camp goal kick turned into an excellent Orient counter-attack as Torhallsson made a perfect through ball to Thompson. With their morale crumbling, the death blow to Oxford came less than two minutes later as Scott Huckerby made a right side run and beat two defenders before scorching a low shot at a sharp angle past the onrushing Camp. The final blow came when Torhallsson banged home his own rebound after a superb pass from Chris O'Brien had put him free behind the Oxford backline.

Leyton Orient (3) Torquay (1)

Orient- S.Spann 58 R.Thompson 66,67

Torquay- D.Graham 20

The visitors appeared to be in the process of upsetting their hosts' fans, as Torquay thoroughly dominated the first half and held the lead thanks to a goalmouth scramble that saw David Graham first to the loose ball for a tap in past Lee Harrison. Orient showed both heart and spirit in the 2nd half as they fought back. After a Michael Sisson free kick had been blocked back out to him, he threaded a pass through and Silvio Reinaldo Spann wasted little time flicking a shot that sailed over Chris Sharpe to equalize. Torquay gave Orient the lead when Lee Canoville passed back for Ruben Hazell, only to see Ryan Thompson step in and take the ball on full dribble- before drilling a 20 yard shot past Sharpe for his 10th goal of the season. It was easy to see the visitors were a bit stunned at the turn around and Johann Torhallsson took advantage as he drew the defenders toward him enough that Thompson had an easy time heading past Sharpe for two goals in less than a minute. Orient played more determined defense with the two goal lead and the spirit had winked out in the visitors as they played out to the 3-1 final.

Northampton (2) Leyton Orient (0)

Northampton- T.Youngs 41-P P.Reid 71

Orient- None

A closely played first half ended with Northampton in the lead after Chris O'Brien was whistled for pushing Josh Low in the area. Tom Youngs converted the penalty and the home side headed off the slick, rain swept pitch, with a 1-0 margin. Scott Huckerby was a one-man show at times for Orient as he caused problems for their midfield and backline the entire day. Unfortunately for Orient, the chances created by Huckerby were wasted as poor finishing kept the clean sheet for Glyn Thompson. Northampton clinched the match in the 2nd half when Paul Reid was easily able to head a Martin Reeves freekick past Lee Harrison. With the pitch condition rapidly deteriorating, Orient could mount little in the way of a comeback.

Lincoln (1) Leyton Orient (1) FA Cup 1st Round

Lincoln- D.Booles 5

Orient- C.Itonga 70

MOM- Darren Horrigan, Lincoln

The Sincil Bank crowd was roaring early in the match as the Orient backline overplayed a streaking Francis Green and he crossed back to David Booles. Booles whipped the ball past Lee Harrison and it was Lincoln on top quickly. Orient tried to rally, but Darren Horrigan was dazzling in the Lincoln net and they maintained their one goal lead into the 2nd half. Orient finally broke through with the equalizer when Johann Torhallsson made a smart cross back into the middle and Carlin Itonga headed past Horrigan. Orient came close to winning the match outright, but Torhallsson was stopped cold by Horrigan in the closing moments.

Leyton Orient (5) Lincoln (5) FA Cup 1st round replay (Lincoln advances on penalties)

Orient- G.Kimmins 46,100 J.Torhallsson 57 S.Huckerby 70,114

Lincoln- G.Fletcher 7-P S.Willis 42 F.Green 45 S.Yeo 102 R.Butcher 109

In wild first round replay, Orient staged a magnificent 2nd half comeback, then blew the only lead they had in the match in extra time, before rallying again to force penalties- where they finally faltered. The first half saw the Brisbane Road crowd stunned as the visitors manhandled Orient. Gary Fletcher converted the penalty kick after Craig O'Brien was called for a handball in the area. Orient had some chances but were finding Darren Horrigan just as difficult to solve as in their last match. Lincoln put the hammer to Orient late in the half as Scott Willis sneaked a shot inside the far post on Glenn Morris. Francis Green made it a comfortable 3-0 halftime lead for Lincoln when he beat Morris on a shot he clearly should have gotten a hand on. Despite the deficit, Orient opened the 2nd half much sharper and struck right away for a goal when Ged Kimmins scored his 1st Orient goal on a header from Johann Torhallsson's cross. Torhallsson then scored one of his own after Nii Lamptey made a superb run and crossed to him at the far corner. The crowd's roar when Scott Huckerby fired a low shot past Horrigan to even the match was deafening and it appeared Orient had all the momentum they needed to win the match in regulation. Horrigan had something to say about that though and regained his form to move the match into extra time on a 3-3 score. Orient took their lone lead in the match in extra time when Byron Glasgow made a good pass to an unattended Kimmins and he drilled it past Horrigan for his 2nd goal of the match. The lead was short-lived when a Morris goal kick was intercepted and sent forward to Simon Yeo. Yeo banked a shot off the inside of the near post and the match was again even. Lincoln again moved into the lead when Richard Butcher was stopped by Morris initially, but the ball bounced back to him and he had an easy time chipping it into the net- as Manager Drabek was visibly upset at the Orient backline play. Orient had one more effort to offer though and Torhallsson made a beatiful pass across the width of the pitch to send Huckerby in alone on Horrigan. Once again Huckerby beat Horrigan with a shot inside the far post and the match went to penalties. After a full match of effort- Orient faltered in the penalties as each side made their first five, but Nicky Hill's was saved by Horrigan to send Lincoln on to the 2nd round of the FA Cup.

Leyton Orient (3) Macclesfield (0)

Orient- N.Lamptey 10 R.Thompson 47 J.Torhallsson 88

Macclesfield- None

MOM- Johann Torhallsson, Leyton Orient

Orient sought a quick rebound from the midweek brooming from the FA Cup and got it as they easily defeated Macclesfield at Brisbane Road. They outshot the visitors 23-7 and it took some fine work by Steve Wilson in the nets to keep the score to 3-0. Nii Lamptey's goal will likely deserve some consideration for Goal of the Month, as he made a wicked curving shot to cap off a pretty passing sequence that started with Michael Sisson and went to Ryan Thompson before Thompson laid the ball back for him. Lamptey returned the favor with a superb cross that Thompson headed past Wilson to start the second half. Johann Torhallsson then capped off the scoring in the match when he rapped home a rebound after Wilson parried a blast from Lamptey.

Scunthorpe (2) Leyton Orient (2)

Scunthorpe- S.MacLean 33,51

Orient- G.Kimmins 25 M.Sisson 30

MOM- Steven MacLean, Scunthorpe

Orient wasted an early two-goal lead as they couldn't corral Steven MacLean around the net. Ged Kimmins had the first goal of the match when he snapped a shot past Tommy Evans after Evans had initially made a good stop on a long Silvio Reinaldo Spann blast. Michael Sisson then caught Evans leaning the wrong way with a 20 yard shot after a nice backpass from Kimmins. Alex Calvo-Garcia started the rally for the home side with a good pass that set up Glynn Hurst in front of Lee Harrison. Hurst's blast beat Harrison, but bounced back off the crossbar- right to MacLean- who drilled it into the net before anyone on Orient could react. Scunthorpe evened the match when Glynn Hurst got past Paul Moss and then after a long run, crossed smartly into the middle- for the trailing MacLean to dive and head past Harrison. The envigorated home side pressured Orient the remainder of the match, but Orient held on to wind up splitting the points.

Leyton Orient (1) Rochdale (0)

Orient- R.Thompson 9

Rochdale- None

MOM- Nii Lamptey, Leyton Orient

Orient used an early goal and stifling defense to see off visiting Rochdale in a contest that was more uneven than the 1-0 final would indicate. It was a superb through ball from Johann Torhallsson from midfield that put Ryan Thompson free and his 20 yard cannon shot sailed past Neil Edwards for a quick Orient lead. Rochdale spent a good bit of the rest of the match trying to contain the Orient midfield and though they succeeded- they also limited their chances. Glenn Morris came up with one good save on a Chris Beech header off a corner to ensure that he kept a clean sheet and Orient was content in finishing off the win.

Boston United (1) Leyton Orient (2)

Boston- L.O'Donovan 90

Orient- G.Kimmins 76 S.Huckerby 83

MOM- Ged Kimmins, Leyton Orient

A flurry of late goals broke open what had been a very evenly played match. Boston had several very good chances in the early going, but Lee Harrison was equal to the task and kept them out of the net. Orient finally broke on top when Johann Torhallsson showed good vision on a left side run, waiting until Matt Hocking started shading into the middle in case he went by Mark Greaves, and then looping a cross that Ged Kimmins smartly headed past Steve Croudson. Silvio Reinaldo Spann then setup Scott Huckerby on a long right side run. Huckerby took the ball around Ben Chapman and then rifled a low shot past Croudson to make it 2-0 Orient. Boston managed a consolation goal in 2nd half injury time as Lee O'Donovan shot low past Harrison after Mark Angel found him alone in front.

Leyton Orient (2) Doncaster (1)

Orient- J.Torhallsson 43 L.Fortune-West OG 49

Doncaster- L.Fortune-West 55

MOM- Nicky Hill, Leyton Orient

After much of a closely played first half, Orient took advantage of one good opportunity and then a Doncaster miscue to edge them in a tough tussle. Orient scored first when Scott Huckerby intercepted a poor clearing kick by keeper Andy Warrington. Huckerby slid the ball to Silvio Reinaldo Spann, who made a superb pass that Johann Torhallsson ran onto and then fired a shot underneath a sprawling Warrington. Leo Fortune-West then gifted Orient with their 2nd goal when he tried to head a Spann corner over the net, but caught the upper corner of the net for an own-goal. Fortune-West did get Doncaster right back into the match when he outleaped Simon Downer on a long goal kick from Warrington. The ball went to Rory Hammill who pushed it right back to Fortune-West, who smashed a rising shot past Glenn Morris. Hammill came closest to equalizing for the visitors in their late rally, but his shot skimmed the cross bar from close range in the last 5 minutes of play.

Leyton Orient (1) Lincoln (0)

Orient- B.Glasgow 45

Lincoln- None

MOM- Lee Harrison, Leyton Orient

In a grudge match against the club that knocked them out of Cup competition- Orient finally found a way to defeat Lincoln- keep them off the scoreboard. Lee Harrison turned in his finest match of the season as he made brilliant saves to keep the visitors off the scoring line- despite the fact that they outplayed Orient for much of the match. Orient struck for the lone goal in the match in first half injury time as Justin Miller's long throw-in was headed past Darren Horrigan by Byron Glasgow. That would be the only goal, but there were still 2nd half highlights as both clubs came close to netting another goal- only to see either Harrison or Horrigan blunt the chance.

Southend (0) Leyton Orient (1)

Southend- None

Orient- S.Huckerby 86

It looked like Orient was well on its way to a frustrating scoreless draw against the determined squad from Southend. Orient had gained several good chances, only to see Ryan Robinson deny them. In the late stages it was Scott Huckerby who earned hero status when he took the ball past both Leon Cort and Andy Monkhouse before finding the far side of the net past Robinson for the match winning goal.

"Do you think he can help us?" asked Drabek of Field.

"He has a lot of the qualities you told me we were seeking, but he wants a lot on the wage side..." offered Field.

Drabek nodded, "Yes, a bit higher than I had hoped- still I think he will be worth it."

Orient Lands Portugese Winger

Leyton Orient today completed the transfer purchase of Portugese winger Luis Dias from Universidad Lamas for a cost reportedly around 10K. The expectation is that Dias will fill in on both wings until his has spent more training time with the club. Orient also announced the sale of leftback Billy Jones to Billericay and midfielder Phil Holder to Lancaster.

Field nodded as they both went through sections of the scouting report. "He looks like a realy good up and coming keeper. Are you sure we can actually sign him, or is his agent just leading us on?"

Drabek glanced over, "I think he will sign with us. He might be the keeper to take us to the next level, though it is hard to argue with how well Lee Harrison has done for us."

Jowsey Comes to Orient

In a surprise transfer purchase, Leyton Orient is bringing highly regarded youngster James Jowsey from Manchester United. United, awash in veteran keepers at present, was willing to let the youngster move and Jowsey was happy to accept a contract that may allow him to move to more prominence as a starter.

Leyton Orient (1) Kidderminster (0)

Orient- S.Huckerby 9

Kidderminster- None

In a match thoroughly dominated by Orient, it was only their poor shooting that kept the match from being more lopsided. As it was, they had to be content for Scott Huckerby's swerving free kick past Ian Dunbavin as their lone score in the match. The stifling Orient defense allowed the visitors only one shot at Lee Harrison the entire match, while generating 16 shots of their own- only 4 actually on net though.7.1.04

Leyton Orient (1) Kidderminster (0)

Orient- S.Huckerby 9

Kidderminster- None

In a match thoroughly dominated by Orient, it was only their poor shooting that kept the match from being more lopsided. As it was, they had to be content for Scott Huckerby's swerving free kick past Ian Dunbavin as their lone score in the match. The stifling Orient defense allowed the visitors only one shot at Lee Harrison the entire match, while generating 16 shots of their own- only 4 actually on net though.

York (0) Leyton Orient (2)

York- None

Orient- J.Torhallsson 5 M.Lockwood 29

It was another very good performance by Orient as they pressured York from the opening whistle. Johann Torhallsson passed up a good chance to cross to Nii Lamptey, but Mark Ovendale made an excellent parry of his shot- which bounced right to Torhallsson for an easy goal into the empty net. Matt Lockwood then scored one of the prettiest goals of the season for Orient. Scott Huckerby, who had an exceptional match, sidestepped two defenders and then crossed back to Lockwood- lurking at the top of the area. Lockwood hammered home a booming shot past Ovendale and Orient was well on its way to another win. With the 2-0 lead, Orient put the clamps on the midfield and only allowed the home side 3 shots the entire match.

"Right this way guv'nor," menacingly stated the large man as he grabbed Will Drabek and hauled him into the shadows of the alley. He easily pinned Drabek against the rough stone of the building.

"Now, now- quit yer struggling," whispered the man. "I am only here to deliver a message."

"What would that be?" said Drabek, slightly gasping in the large man's hold.

"There's a little matter of your upcoming match against Swansea. Doesn't rightly matter if you win the match, but it had better be a close one."

Despite the hold and the tone of the man's voice, Drabek glared at him, "Forget it- the match will play out however it does- I will not hold my club back." Sensing a chance to launch a dagger at the initiator of the exchange Drabek stated, "And tell Hugo to do his own dirty work- if he has the balls."

The man slammed Drabek hard against the building, "Now why would ye be gettin ideas there Guv'nor- just take this pleasant advice and make sure the bl**dy match is close."

Leyton Orient (9) Swansea (0)

Orient- L.Dias 4 G.Alexander 34,56,57,63,73,82 J.Torhallsson 48 C.O'Brien 90

Swansea- None

MOM- Gary Alexander, Leyton Orient

It was a stunning match for Gary Alexander as he broke both the Orient and Divisional scoring records with 6 goals against a Swansea side that crumbled in the 2nd half against Orient pressure. Orient was off to a flyer when Luis Dias scored his 1st goal when he deflected a cross from Alexander past Roger Freestone. Chris O'Brien made a good pass to Johann Torhallsson, who headed it back into the center and Alexander promptly drilled it past Freestone for his first of many. It was Torhallsson's turn to start the 2nd half when Silvio Reinaldo Spann made a perfect through ball and he blasted it past Freestone. Alexander's 2nd half rampage started when he sent home a rebound after Freestone made a nice stop on Torhallsson. Less than a minute later he had his hat-trick when he headed a short cross from Torhallsson in for his 5th goal of the season. Simon Downer sent Alexander a sizzling pass for him to score his 4th, then Torhallsson again set him up for an easy header after Marcus Ebdon freed Torhallsson with his pass. Alexander then capped off his incredible match as he and Torhallsson played a give and go passing sequence and Alexander's shot trickled through Freestone into the net. Craig O'Brien finished off the huge Orient win as Ebdon found him unattended in front of Freestone and he whipped it past him.

Drabek felt, rather than heard the attack coming and ducked slightly as a huge fist only grazed his head, he tried to step away only to feel a kick catch him squarely in the back and knock him flat. Before he could move another foot caught him in the stomach causing him to gasp in pain. He laid there and absorbed several more kicks before the attackers heard someone coming and rushed away.

He felt himself rolled onto his back and the face of Spencer Field staring at him with concern. "Just lie there, I will call an ambulance." Doggedly, in spite of the pain, Drabek pushed himself into a sitting position against the wall. "No ambulance. No police." Field stared at him uncomprehendingly. "It's a personal matter Spencer. Help me get to my car."

Field half carried Drabek the short ways to his car and lowered him into the front seat, "Are you sure Will?"

Drabek, now recovering slightly from the beating, grimly remarked "I am sure Spencer- thanks for the help."

Drogo Drabek stared at flowers with complete surprise. "Who the hell brought these?"

The smaller major domo of the pub/office shrugged, "It was some florist- don't know which one- but we thought it was ok because we inspected it and there was a card from Will."

"From Will? What the hell- that isn't his style. Where is the card?"

Motioning to the far side of the desk, the major domo made his exit.

Drogo picked up the card, which hadn't been opened, and then took his letter opener and slit the top of the envelope. The card featured a sympathy greeting and inside was scrawled "Hope Hugo made up at the races what he lost- Will." Drogo stared at the far wall of the office, and then reached for the phone, "Get Hugo in here."

Several minutes later, a slightly less hulking, but obviously cut from the same family mold, younger man entered, "Yes, Father?"

Instead of inviting him to sit, Drogo stood up. "How does yesterday's take look?"

The younger man visibly figeted, "It was OK, we suffered a couple lucky bets that dragged it down a bit."

"Tell me about those *lucky* bets."

"One was on a no-hoper to place at Cheltenham, and the horse came up golden. Someone else bet against the heavy line in the Orient-Swansea match and pocketed a goodly amount when the match came out so lopsided."

"Why was the line that close, was there a lot of money on a close over-under?"

"Yes, that is where the smart money was being bet."

Drogo casually backhanded Hugo and he smashed into the far wall. "Hugo, you make a lousy liar. Tell me about what happened with Orient."

Forcing himself off the wall, "I thought we could make a boatload on the match, most books were showing Orient as a large favorite on recent form, but I thought it would be close."

"And why did you *think* it would be close?"

The younger man visibly paled, "I was just certain it would be."

Drogo backhanded him again and he hit the floor hard, "You are tactless and inept. That was a stupid play Hugo, you should know your brother has iron in him and would push back even harder. Why do I find myself thinking that I have the wrong brother running part of my organization? Your weekly allottment will go to make up the difference that the Orient match brought."

He waved the wincing younger man out of the office and picked up the phone, "Please send flowers back to Will, with this message- 'Thank you for the courtesy, it won't happen again.' " and slammed the phone back down.

Cheltenham (0) Leyton Orient (4)

Cheltenham- None

Orient- J.Torhallsson 29,47,51 G.Alexander 74

Johann Torhallsson was a one man wrecking crew as Orient demolished hosts Cheltenham behind his work up front. The lone goal of the first half saw Matt Lockwood throwing the ball down the left side. When Anthony Loughran missed the header, Torhallsson was in alone on Shane Higgs and beat him cleanly with a shot to the far post. Ryan Thompson set up Torhallsson's 2nd goal when he raced down the left side (his off-side) and threw the ball back into the middle- Torhallsson hit a looping header that sailed over Higgs into the net. Scott Huckerby deserved a lot of credit for Torhallsson completing the hat-trick as he broke in from right wing and forced Higgs and the defenders to flow to him before a short cross back to Torhallsson for an easy header. Gary Alexander (subbed on for a tiring Thompson) finished out the scoring for the match when Huckerby's touch pass allowed him plenty of room to beat Higgs with a long shot to the near side of the net. Cheltenham's fans were headed for the exit after that and missed the home side's best chance to break Lee Harrison's clean sheet when Bob Taylor missed over the net from Harrison's doorstep late in the half.

Leyton Orient (4) Mansfield (0)

Orient- R.Thompson 12,37 J.Torhallsson 56 M.Joseph 75

Mansfield- None

MOM- Matthew Joseph, Leyton Orient

The Orient backline and midfield throttled Mansfield's feeble attempts to generate offense as the home side rolled to an easy 4-0 win. A measure of Orient's control was that they outshot the visitors by a 24-2 margin. Orient struck first when Michael Sisson sent Ryan Thompson in free and though Kevin Pilkington parried his shot- Thompson was first to the rebound and slid it into the net. Thompson scored his 2nd goal of the match when he redirected a chipped pass from Byron Glasgow to earn a 2-0 halftime lead. It was Johann Torhallsson scoring early in the 2nd half as Nii Lamptey threaded a pass through to find him alone on the corner of the net. Matthew Joseph capped the Orient scoring as he deflected a curling Lamptey corner past Pilkington into the near side of the net.

Leyton Orient (4) Huddersfield (0)

Orient- R.Thompson 35 J.Torhallsson 49,63,90

Huddersfield- None

Huddersfield stayed with Orient in the early stages of the match and had the better of the chances until midway through the first half. Then the Orient swirling attack took hold of the midfield as they finished out strongly for another 4-0 win. The lone goal of the first half came when Matthew Joseph launched a long pass down the right side of the pitch. Ryan Thompson outraced both a defender and keeper Ian Gray and slid the ball by the onrushing Gray into the far corner of the net. Johann Torhallsson started his sensational 2nd half by breaking the Huddersfield offside trap on a long pass from Justin Miller and taking the ball around Gray for the score. Ryan Thompson was the architect of Torhallsson's 2nd goal as he beat his marker cleanly and crossed to Torhallsson, who headed it past Gray. They repeated that sequence as Torhallsson completed his hat-trick after Byron Glasgow made a nice through ball to Thompson.

Archived