I really don't understand the loan mechanism

I'm about ten seasons into a save game where I play as AIK in the Swedish Premier Division. I have a young player who are not good enough for my own team but good enough for low table teams in the biggest leagues. I have Mallorca, a top team in Segunda, as an affiliated team. So I tried to send him there. He would most likely be a starter in a team that half-way through the season looks like they are about to win and get a promotion into La Liga. He refuses without saying why. So I send out offers for other teams to loan him and he accepts a deal with... Västerås SK in the Swedish third division! This would be like if Januzaj would decline a loan offer to go to Crystal Palace next season and instead accept a deal to go to Boreham Wood for a season.

How can that happen? Where's the logic behind this?

The loan system in FM16 seems totally broken. I have alot of players who refuses to go on loan completely and instead decides to rot in the reserve squad for years. It's really hard to give players good loan deals because they often decline the good offers and instead accepts totally illogical offers or no offers at all.

perhaps as a young player, he just didn't fancy leaving the country and opted to stay in Sweden and close to home? I can't understand the third division though unless he isn't as good as you/he/coaches etc think?

I'm about ten seasons into a save game where I play as AIK in the Swedish Premier Division. I have a young player who are not good enough for my own team but good enough for low table teams in the biggest leagues. I have Mallorca, a top team in Segunda, as an affiliated team. So I tried to send him there. He would most likely be a starter in a team that half-way through the season looks like they are about to win and get a promotion into La Liga. He refuses without saying why. So I send out offers for other teams to loan him and he accepts a deal with... Västerås SK in the Swedish third division! This would be like if Januzaj would decline a loan offer to go to Crystal Palace next season and instead accept a deal to go to Boreham Wood for a season.

How can that happen? Where's the logic behind this?

The loan system in FM16 seems totally broken. I have alot of players who refuses to go on loan completely and instead decides to rot in the reserve squad for years. It's really hard to give players good loan deals because they often decline the good offers and instead accepts totally illogical offers or no offers at all.

Well, there are quite a few reasons why your player might not want to go to Mallorca. As Mrlee.1986 said, it could be because he doesn't want to move countries at such a young age.

My personal opinion is that he probably doesn't feel like he will not get enough playing time if he were to move to Mallorca. First of all they are an affiliate of yours, so they are under no obligation to guarantee him playing time, this might be something that crosses his mind, as you cannot force them to give him "first team " or "key player" status. However, with loaning him out in the traditional method you can give the player these gurantees as either a "first team player" or above, perhaps this is why he took the move to ästerås SK in the Swedish third division.

Secondly, although you perceive him to be good enough to play for low table teams in the bigger leagues, he might believe that himself. If he is a player with low determination and low confidence he might not feel utp to the task of securing regular playing times at these clubs, hence why he is more open to dropping down the leagues.

Leading on, I wouldn't really say the loaning system is totally broken, its just that some need a better understanding of all the complexities to full utilize it (and it isn't that complicated to master either). If you have players who are refusing to go out on loan, it maybe because they feel their reputation is too high compared to the clubs making loan offers for them. There is one way to get around this, you can offer those players for transfer, then when higher reputation teams come in with offers you can negotiate the deal into a loan deal (or at least you used to be able to on previous FMs).

Archived