Huddersfield Town - 4-2-3-1(ish) help

Hi

I'm terrible at FM and I've been reading the helpful guides on here for a few months but I've decided it's time to register and ask for help.

I use the following tactic:

Mentality - I vary this depending on the strength of the opposition but as a rough guide, Control at home and Standard/Counter away

Player instructions - GK - Roll out

Team instructions - Look for overlap

Shape - Flexible

ji12tc.png

My main issue seems to be creating good chances. It's very rare I get half my shots on target and they are often on the edge/outside the area.

My goals mainly seem to come from the fact my striker is good at dribbling/finishing so he creates and scores his own chances.

My idea about how the team should function is:

- Full backs go up and provide width whilst the inside forwards move inside and either run at the defence or pass to the full back who can cross

- My striker uses his dribbling to 'hold up' play to avoid being isolated. He isn't strong so can't hold up in the conventional sense. His dribbling buys time.

- Centre mid moves up and supports the striker or goes beyond him if the striker has come deep

- One DM sits completely while the other can go slightly further forward to recycle possession.

I have only won 2 of the last 11 games and only scored 8 goals, mainly from my striker running past people and finishing.

I originally had my IFs as Wide midfielders in the MR/ML positions and get further forward/sit narrower PIs but I moved them forward to try create better chances, but with very limited success...

So any advice on how to create better chances would be goood, as well as any general advice on how to improve the tactic since I probably concede too much as well.

Thanks, I hope this is detailed enough.

Maybe use TI's to create a slower buildup so your deeper players have time to connect with your more advanced players. You could also try to change the AF-A to a F9-S and one of your IF-S to a Ramdeuter. This way your striker will drop deeper and link-up better with your CM-A, while the Ramdeuter will add some of the goalscoring threat you loose by changing the role of your strikers. You should think about what kind of football you want to play and have that reflected in the formation, shape, mentality, roles and TI's you use.

Your attack duty striker is very isolated. The look for overlap TI will ask the wide players to hold their position more so that the fullbacks can overlap.

I believe alot of your shots are pot shots taken by your striker as he has no other passing options. I

know that you said your striker doesn't have great strength but you can try using a support duty striker. The IFs will be nearer to him so he can lay it off pretty fast. You can also consider using manual overlap instead of the TI so that your IFs don't hold back their runs too much. Eg, IF(S) with WB(A).

Archived