Goalie Not Following PI

I've started a new saved game at Coventry, looking to "grow the program". But in my second match of the season, at Barnsley in the Capital One Cup, I'm playing a counter mentality, structured shape, with TIs of Retain Possession, slow pace, play out of defense, exploit both flanks (Barnsley's presenting a 4-1-2-1-2 Narrow). I've also given the goalie PIs of roll it out, pass to center backs, less risky passes and slow pace down. Yet every time he makes a save, he punts it merrily up the pitch. His Teamwork attribute is 17 and his personality is balanced (the team's personality is Professional). Also, while his passing attribute is only 9, his kicking is only a 7. The only thing I can think of is that he's working on kicking in individual training. Could that possibly be overriding the PI?

Good point. I was playing against a 4-4-2, and the two opposing strikers were all over my CBs as the team dropped back. So, I removed the "pass to center backs" PI, leaving no specific instruction of whom to pass to. I figured that would leave him looking for the best option, but he was still hoofin' it up the pitch. OTOH, when he had goal kicks, he went short to the fullbacks out wide. Maybe the long throw to the flank was too much for him? Anyway, Barnsley didn't get many shots and we won, 3-0. I think for our next match, I'm going to set him for short kicks rather than rolling it out if the problem persists.

If you have a Target man up front he will aim for him despite other instructions.

Otherwise you've also asked to do less risky passes therefore if there is no pass available within the distance and risk level set he can't follow the instruction and will end up booting it.

Archived