Why can't we teach the "curls ball" PPM?

The thread title is self-explanatory. We can teach all sorts of techniques and moves like "attempts overhead kicks" etc but not "curls ball". Why?

I have a regen that has it, not sure if he was born with it or was tutored it before he arrived at my club, but I find it a shame I can't directly teach it to more players.

The thread title is self-explanatory. We can teach all sorts of techniques and moves like "attempts overhead kicks" etc but not "curls ball". Why?

I have a regen that has it, not sure if he was born with it or was tutored it before he arrived at my club, but I find it a shame I can't directly teach it to more players.

It can be taught be tutoring, but you probably already know that. Another one that can't be trained is 'Plays Way Out Of Trouble'. One of my favourite PPM's :thup:

I love curls ball, but it's a really hard one to get hold of in a good player, especially once newgens start dominating the world.

My one gripe is that while coaches will often suggest teaching a player one of their own preferred moves, they can't do this with curls ball. I don't think this makes sense.

What I would like to see is highly determined or ambitious players choosing to learn the curls ball technique on their own. Players choosing to perform extra practice doesn't seem to be in the game at the moment, and this would be a nice addition in this area.

Similarly, what about "swerves ball?" Or something similar, to account for the knuckle ball style free kick, as well as some shooting technique. Gareth Bale is a great example of a player who took it upon himself to learn this skill, and it took him about a season to transition successfully from perfect curled free kicks, to the knuckleball style.

In terms of what would make a player decide to learn the skill on his own, obviously it would need ambition and determination. There would likely be a threshold for the technique attribute which would limit the possibility. Perhaps being selected as a sides primary set piece taker would contribute to a player puttting extra practice in on their own time. Perhaps having another player listed as "idol" could see them adopt some PPMs of the idolised player, including trying to learn their free kick style (Bale learning Ronaldo's knuckleball.)

Archived