Is it possible to talk to a manager about a player you've loaned them?

When you've loaned a player and don't give him enough game time sometimes their manager will talk to you asking why, is it possible to do this yourself to a manager who's loaned your player? I'm asking because one of my u21's who was out on loan was giving a first team loan contract but hasn't made a single appearance over 6 months.

I've had it brought to my attention when a player isnt getting enough game time and you can talk to the other manager. But I've found they just agree they'll give them more games and never do.

Just recall the player when the opportunity is available. I've found the opposing managers have either promised to play him and then changed their minds after a couple of games, or tell you the player is crap and not worth a place in the team. I always have the recall clause on. Another good idea is to sometimes negotiate an initial short-term loan (if the loaning club offer a full season loan, re-negotiate it for just a month or two), I find I can usually tell how well a loan is working out within a short time and if it's going well, you can always extend it.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah this year it seems like managers always agree when you say "you need to play my player more" but never really give them more games. Once in a blue moon they'll say "your players hasn't played well enough I can't play them more". Which fair enough, but I'm recalling him ASAP if that's the case.

On another note, how often do people interact with their players on loan? I find frequent "you've been doing ok, but you can do even better" talks do well for morale but I never actually see the player's form improve.

I interact with the most promising each time I get the loan report in the inbox, although the "you've been doing ok, but you can do even better" formula does not much to my lads' future improvements either. Furthermore, some of them even get upset of hearing that. They probably reckon it's not the best tailored dialogue entry for this situation.

I've found they do play them bit a more when they agree.

I helped relegate Sunderland when i asked them to play my youngster more in the final weeks of last season. They did, and they got relegated rofl.

AC Milan manager Siniša Mihajlović wasn't interested in my demands to play my loanee more.

It might be to do with the size of the club, pressure on the manager and the personality of the manager.

I tend to forget about interaction for months and then just encourage the ones doing well, as the interactions are limited and don't offer a response for encouragement if they've been left out or played badly. Neither do i check up on if its had any affect.

As long as they are getting minutes for development I'm not too bothered about their performances.

Your only concern should be performances, if a player is not playing well then they have limited positive factors to aid their development & could actually regress.

Your only concern should be performances, if a player is not playing well then they have limited positive factors to aid their development & could actually regress.

Well then that is a worrying model for development, because in life you learn by making mistakes. You have to get beat by better players to get better yourself. Unless you're born with godlike current ability, and can learn everything on the training pitch or from a book.

putting in 10/10 performances against a team of school kids is not gonna help you develop.

putting in 1/10 performance for your school against FC Barcelona will help you much more.

level of opponent should be > performance.

I would go as far as to say performance is completely unimportant. Its how you analyse and respond to a bad performance that will aid your development. What is important is experience - good or bad.

google "bad is stronger than good" for numerous scientific studies into negative vs positive learning.

when you learn to walk as a baby, you learning by figuring out falling over hurts and the actions that make you fall over you should stop doing. The positive reward for actually walking to where you want to get to, comes AFTER you have fallen over a lot.

But don't listen to me because i have no idea how the game works.

The level of opposition does count but that was not part of your original comment so it did not trigger my thought process to mention it.

btw, not knowing how the game works is only an issue if you start offering advice to other users, outside of that your lack of insider knowledge can be an advantage when identifying areas that can be improved.

What you mentioned in your last post is indeed part of the way we learn however to conpletely model that could require a huge memory footprint as each player has to remember those learning experiences. That being said I've never been the biggest fa. of the FM development model as I find it to be far too easy to exploit to develop players, it's got better but IMHO it lacks nuance & uncertainty.

Well I can only state how I apply my understanding of concepts and how things work in real life to the game, and how i play it.

If im wrong, or if the game has a different model, that's up to the reader to decide.

There's no detailed manual, so guesswork on behalf of us players is a given. We can and are expected to only use our imagination.

I have seen plenty of responses in other threads that I feel are wrong (both in real life and in the game).

Questioning the reliability of the source of information is a lesson that applies throughout a readers life, not just when reading responses to thread on football management games. Im not going to put a disclaimer under all of my posts *my opinion only, listen to me at your peril.

Apologies if i have mislead anyone.

If negative performances causes regression, it kind of compounds the problem with AI managers playing jaded and exhausted loanees into the ground forcing them to put in bad performances and regress.

Not exactly what you'd have expected and hoped for, and you are watching it happen completely helplessly. Great.

I'm all for fresh ideas, if you come up with a monster feature idea to improve the development model then fell free to post in this thread.

Oh don't get me started.

I know myself well enough not to get drawn into a putting out small fires and ending up rebuilding the whole damn system.

Its far easier to criticise than to solve problems. I'd much rather heckle from the stands.

Id like to see a football supporter simulator, where you just go and shout abuse at under-performing players/managers/executives, chant some battle cries with strangers, pretend you belong somewhere, buy a hot-dog for a fiver, and queue in traffic for 2 hours to get home. Much more satisfying and stress relieving. Id pay for that. Oh wait, that's my season ticket.

Development model, right. Well for one thing get rid of absolute regression on negative experience, even if you can make AI managers better. Personality is far more influential. Unambitious players lacking determination and bad experiences? - sure make em regress. Perfectionists will thrive on bad experiences, its essential to their philosophy. But is this a developmental psychology simulator? Because that is complex, unknown territory. Much more complex than formations and tactics.

Archived