A Quick Question Regarding Coaching

Posting here because it is about tactical advice.

I'm really wondering a staff's advice towards an upcoming match is related to his personality/tactical mentality. Because I see lots of times they advicing me things that are crucial to my way of playing, such as "change your instructions to "remove retain possession", "change your width to wide", "remove work ball into box" and so on.

I am managing FC Metz and it is my second season which we fight for Europa League Qual spot. I kind of implemented Cleon's "Possesion Thread" to some sort of 4-4-2 and it works like magic. (Poss.: around 60%, CCC: 4-5 for each match) However, my staff keep telling me I will be doing it wrong if I use this tacting for the upcoming match.

I am thinking it may be due to their personality/tactical mentality because some of my "highly advising" coaches have "Wide Playing" and "Direct Passing" preferences on their page. If so, how can I get them used to my way of playing? I cannot simply hire coaches who prefer my way of playing due to financial reasons.

While I am writing this I came up with another question. I would be happy if you answer this too: :)

If you change your staff during season, will it affect your players' development? I mean if you fire half of your coaches during mid-season and hire new ones, will your players' attribute development go stall? (Even though you will have better coaches, obviously)

Having incorporated some of the concepts from Cleon's possession tactic, I am suddenly finding I dread coaches' meetings, because most of the requests are to undo everything I am trying to do. But I've also discovered that while their preferred formation/style is part of it, some of what they are saying usually stems from their view of the next opponent. I'm currently managing Burton Albion, and we had an upcoming match with Shrewsbury and my assistant's advice was replete with "defensive", "highly structured", "fast tempo", "more direct", etc etc. One of the things that I'm learning about this game is that how one would deal with players and staff in real life is usually a good starting point to how to react within the game. And in real life, I would stop and listen for what I needed to know. Shrewsbury has a potent attack based on possession. So, I dialed back the mentality from "control" to "standard" and I pulled my two wing AMs (one IF, one AP) back to the midfield, changing from a 4-1-2-3 DM to a 4-1-4-1. But everything else, I left the way I wanted. Result? IN our match at Shrewsbury, we got a 1-1 draw, dominating possession, taking their attack away from them.

So, my advice is to ignore them to the extent that you know exactly why you are doing things, but listen when they know your opposition better than you do.

Archived