Players that you don't want

Vid

Tried a couple of searches and not getting anything useful.

I've made a few aborted attempts at getting a game going with a league 2 club and keep running into issues with players in the initial squad that I don't want and can't sell. Is it more practical to hit "sell or release" on day 1 rather than waste time having chats and failing to sell or loan them? Or is there a better way to shift these players out of the wage budget without impacting the transfer budget?

It's quite difficult to shift all your deadwood when you first arrive at a club because many clubs have already made signings before the game starts. This means limited wage and transfer budgets, which will have an impact on any deals you can do.

If there are players I really don't want, the first thing I do is drop them to the reserves. Sometimes this can antagonise them into demanding a transfer, at which point you can offer a mutual termination, which they may accept for no compensation. If this doesn't work (and you really don't want the player) offer them out for free and a 12 month loan, and sometimes clubs will take them.

If none of this works, you may have to wait for the following year. That's not always a bad thing though as making too many changes on arrival can be a recipe for disaster!

I've had 1 guy sitting in my reserves the entire first season, transfer listed and loan listed. His value is £14,000, I've offered him to clubs for £0. Not one taker. He absolutely refuses mutual termination, so it comes down to can I afford the £27,000 it would cost to terminate him, (plus it might upset other players, I don't know how that works) or do I prefer someone sitting in my reserves for another year, collecting a wage and doing nothing. In my case, it's the latter. I'm concerned about the effect terminating his contract might have on other players, plus at the start of the season with little to no money coming in, £27,000 is a lot for a small club like Wrexham. However, I'm some £8,500 pw under my wage budget, so I have room to bring a number of players in despite his 'wasted' wage'. So imho it honestly depends on your financial situation and to a degree personal preference. If the player is taking up a needed squad position, take the financial hit, get rid instantly. If he's not impacting too heavily on your wage budget, or it's totally under control, then I'd be tempted to let him stay.

Archived