Help

frobojobo3131

I am currently doing a west ham save and have done a few games in my second season. In the first season I had the first best attack in the league but really struggled defensively. I had the worst defence in the league and a goal difference of -14. I finished tenth which is good but I felt it could be so much better. This season, it appears I am having the same issue, but the attack worse because I have lost Victor Moses as Chelsea wouldn't let me loan him out again. I have tried improving the team with personnel but they don't seen to be making a difference and I don't know what to do now. I am currently 18th after 5 games.

I play 4231 mostly on control but sometimes standard or counter depending on the quality of the team. Flexible and I like to play wide and have a high tempo, direct passing style of play. I am willing to change this if necessary.

My positions and roles are below

Goalkeeper - Defend

Right Back - WB - Defend

Centre Back - CD - Defend

Centre Back - CD - Defend

Left Back - WB - Defend

Centre Mid - BWM - Support

Centre Mid - AP - Support

Right Wing - IF - Attack

Left Wing - IF - Attack

Attacking Mid - AP - Attack

Striker - CF/AF - Attack

If anyone can help then that would be great. Thanks!

I'm off out in about 10 minutes but i'll give you a quick few tips before someone else helps properly but :

1) With all defenders on defend, all midfielders on support and all attackers on attack you basically have no interplay and link up. Your defenders will stay back and your attackers will stay high up the pitch. They will be basically relying on pin point long balls from the back. Put the full backs on support, maybe even one on attack.

2) Always have one central midfielder on defend unless you're very advanced in the tactical side of the game and can compensate for it. Add to that the fact you only have 2 cm's then both should be holding players, no advanced playmakers or ball winners for me personally. Maybe central midfield defend and a deep lying playmaker? Possibly a cm-s with hold position added? You need people in the middle of the park when a move breaks down.

3) I personally would change at LEAST 1 of your wide players to a support duty. If they're all just focused on attacking, firstly the won't track back and secondly they will be easier to mark as they don't start deep and force a defender to come out of position to mark them.

4) Your AMC/ST combination can be changed depending on the opposition, it's what I do if I use it. If they have a DM marking my AMC I use a role that roams from positions and/or moves into channels because not only does that make the DM make a decision to either stick or twist it also allows space for the wide men to cut in and do their thing. If you do choose for the AMC to move around and dis-organise their back 3/4/5 then I would advise having your ST stay central. (Think Ozil and Giroud type of thing.) On the flip side if a team isn't using a DM then you want your AMC to stay where he is in that position and force a central defender to come out and mark him or a central midfielder to drop back and pick him up which frees up one of your CM's to dictate the game.

5) I don't know how many team instructions and player instructions you use but I would recommend having none to start with and just watching games and adding them in one at a time until you're satisfied. The best way to see how a tactic works is by watching it so I can't emphasise that enough.

Hope that helped and now i'm late haha.

P.s I don't have the authority but this thread is more than likely going to be moved into the tactical and training part of the forum so check there if you can't find it in the good player and team guide part.

Tactics & Training Discussion

Archived