Combatting an attack loaded formation

Getting into my first save with FM16 as Crewe and had gone the first 8 league games without losing (4W, 4D).

This is my current 1st choice formation:

wbQnnJnl.jpg

I would note the BBM was a CM(A) for 6 or so of the matches, but I wanted to see how if the BBM helped. The AML/R have also been W(A) or IF(S) as I've played with roles to try and support the F9 better.

Mentality is counter, shape is fluid and the only TI set as default is short passing. No additional PIs - I'm trying to keep things simple.

The next match I had was Walsall away and they went with an attack loaded formation:

1nbBP7am.jpg

I did change my FB(A) to FB(S) to try to be a little more cagey at the back (Turton at right FB has been getting the best ratings)

Early on I could see I was getting pinned back, with my midfield 3 horribly outnumbered by Walsall's 5. Walsall's FBs also seem to maraud down the flanks at will. I tried setting my AML/R to man mark them but given marking is their job, the FBs seem to still get open way too much. By half-time I'd hoiked off my AMR, moved my AMR to AM (to try to link up the F9 to midfield better to keep possession) and brought on another midfielder. I originally tried playing 2 x DM (DLP(D) and BWM(S) I think) & 2 x CM (BBM and CM(S) but still seemed to get nowhere, so moved the BWM(S) to CM to play CM(A) and 2 x CM(S).

I reckon I tried every shape from Defend to Attack and probably every TI at some point :idiot:

Reviewing the match stats show Walsall had 57% possession:

IZXY6wHl.jpg

However, what looks mad is the number of crosses...

MEWtiCpl.jpg

:eek: I think my defenders needed tin hats with that amount of incoming. 57% possession is about 51 minutes, so Walsall averaged 1.2 crosses per minute of possession - that seems crackers.

I just couldn't seem to find something to hold onto the ball and build some pressure. Even TI play out of defence didn't help as everyone had been dragged back downfield so somebody would just punt it up the pitch.

Suggestions please on combatting such a formation!

I'll apologise now as I won't be able to help you much, but blimey, 63 crosses and they only have fullbacks. That is crackers.

EDIT: And I would guess from the formation that they started with only 1 attack duty.

EDIT2: It would be a lot less than 57% = 51 minutes, as that assumes the ball is in play for 90 mins? - If possession is calculated over time in play, it's closer to 1.65 crosses per minute.

EDIT3: I can't for the life of me think that's not a bug. Maybe raise it in the bugs forum. In the premier league this year the highest crosses per game is mid 20's. That's comparable with most of the top divisions in Europe (Bundesliga aside, which is lower).

A lot of your comments talk on trying to keep possession, hold on to the ball, play out from the back etc. Against that formation, that's a losing battle IMO. You could try to fight fire with fire and match their numbers in midfield, but I'd rather take advantage of all the space they're leaving behind. Sitting deep, playing direct and using Clear Ball to Flanks usually works pretty well for me against narrow formations.

Have just saved the PKM from the match to upload - hopefully SI will have a look at it.

SpartyOn - thanks. I just felt that any balls hit long were just coming straight back at me. Defence passing completion is only 56% for me. Also my poor DLP was getting dragged here, there and everywhere with Walsall have 3 players at AM level, so Clear Ball to Flanks seemed pointless once I'd had to sacrifice my AML/R. My attack is also rated the worst team in the league for heading, so I don't feel long balls are a strength.

Archived