Player exodus... but why?

So to give you an idea, I joined Oxford in League Two after 3 years in Conf South and 1 in Conf Prem (keeping my team up after guiding the tiny Chelmsford up via Playoffs). My tactic I gradually built for Chelmsford slotted right in and I was 39 out of the 42 games in League Two taking the title. Following year I again dominated League One and had won it before other teams even qualified for playoffs. Next season I'm in January and I'm AGAIN clear top of Championship after signing just one new player each season since League Two.

However now I'm starting to get frustrated as my key LWB Joe Skarz pushed all year to leave for Huddersfield and with his deal down to 7 months, I caved and sold him... he argued they're a bigger club. Sure enough he signed for them who're 23rd, with a smaller reputation and took a £7,500 a week to £3,900 a week page cut? So he left a £9k contract offer and a ton of promotion bonuses from the team who're clear top, to go back to League One?

Junior Hoillet also bullied a move to Nottingham Forest (19th) as they're a bigger team and could afford to pay him more than the £7,500 he is on. Sure enough despite the smaller rep, he went there for... £4,000...!? His motivation was a bigger wage?

I'm facing this same problem with my goalkeeper and my RWB also, both wanting to leave for smaller teams on the verge of relegation despite being clear top and on the verge of the premier league where they all get a huge bonus and a 10% payrise as it is? I'd get it if my rep was low or my team's rep was signifcantly lower, but it has been higher and I'm one of the biggest name managers outside the Prem?

It's kinda confusing why SI allow us to do the impossible, but don't actually add code to make it a pleasant experience.

You can win Champions Cup 10 years in a row, but the game doesn't turn you into a world wide business success, you're always going to be better off switching to one of the real world top teams.

In your case, while you can do as you did, you're still better off changing clubs, because that's the only way you can fully get the "power" of a higher status club.

Archived