When can a player sign a pre-contract ?

In earlier versions of FM you could sign players with 6 months left of their contract, but this was changed so that you could still do it for players in other leagues but not domestic leagues.

My understanding was that you can only sign a contract a month before the end of a contract but now Im unsure if this is the case. So has the game got it right or wrong?

Ths link says the 6 month still exists (not that I have faith in wiki) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_transfer_(association_football)

However additionally this article talks about Ings being signed on one months before the end of his deal ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2937889/Liverpool-ready-use-Premier-League-loophole-sign-Burnley-s-Danny-Ings-pre-contract-agreement.html

Anyone know for sure the actual rules?

It totally depends on which country & league you are managing in.

England for instance is what oneronaldo said above - 6 months for players in foreign leagues (Inc Scotland/Wales etc), one month for players at other English clubs.

Compare that with Scotland which is six months for everyone.

Im talking about England internal transfers only.

Can anyone confirm this as real life fact though, and not what they think from what the game does.

The links I posted above suggest that the game is not correct.

Well really its not relevant what the RL rules are as you are playing FM.

The above is how the game works whether you like it or not and that won't change.

Are the RL rules interpreted correctly and should FM be altered for the future is a different discussion.

Of course its relevant.

FM is meant to be as accurate as possible based on the real life sport it simulates, hence Im asking if it is.

For what its worth I emailed the football league and their resonse was there was no regulation in place to deal with pre-contract agreements and no agreement could be signed until the contract had expired at the end of June.

Archived