Building the greatest defense of all time

So I decided with my Everton team, to build the greatest defense ever.

I picked up a bunch of players who in theory, should be good, however I'm disappointed.

first I picked up RULLI at goaltender, who has actually been pretty good.

Also,

Ryan Shawcross

Eder Alvarez Balanta

Ezequiel Munoz

In addition to

Jagielka, stones, Coleman, and Baines.

That should make my back 4 absolutely solid.

Additionally, I picked up (as Ball winners)

Lucas Romero

Gastonia Gil Romero

Romulo

M. Kranevitter

I'm wondering if it's just going to take some time for these guys to grow up and get better, but at present a lot of them are making more mistakes than interceptions which makes me use the "aggressive" feedback after matches!

granted, it has only been five matches but seriously, 30 mistakes in five matches? that is incredibly bad. I have several players with that statistic.

Shawcross and Munoz seems to be the best of the newcomers but the others are making really stupid mistakes. Sometimes I speak to them, and criticize that they are making too many mistakes and they say, "I'm not making any more mistakes than anyone else" which is rather hilarious.

I am using control/structured with very few shouts other than play from defense, play narrower, stay on feet, higher tempo.

I am using Rashidi's 4-3-1-2

F9 (s) - DLF (s)

AM (A)

BWM (s) DLP (d) BWM (s)

FB (s) CD (d) CD (d) FB (s)

any thoughts? Suggestions on how to cut down on mistakes? Not only is the defense not great, in fact, it's worse than it was before

I got all these hotshots!

Hard to advise you when you've not mentioned the types of mistakes or shown examples of them. How many of the mistakes have led to actual goals conceded? You can check this in the players profile page or by adding it as a custom view.

• 3 months later...

Well it appears that all my trials and tribulations have been worth it, thanks to Rashidi, Cleon, and all you guys who have helped me out.

In our third season at everton, our record is 29-3-4 with 90 points, the greatest season EVER in team history.

We have been in first place since the second week of the season and clinched the championship with 2 games to go.

Our defense is first in goals allowed so I'm happy with that but 26 in 36 games won't cut it, so I am bringing in Matija "Nasty" Nastasic from Manchester City to help get us down to 14 goals given up next season. The premier league record is 15 and we are going to break it.

Right now, Rulli has been great in goal. Otamendi and Stones are my CDs and Baines/Coleman the FBs, with Lucas Romero, Kranevitter, Gaston Gil Romero and Romulo in midfield. I have Shawcross, Munoz and Balanta (loaned out) as backup.

We mainly play a 4-1-2-2-1

lukaku

sisto berardi

romero kranevitter

romero

baines otamendi stones coleman

rulli

and 4-3-1-2

lukaku berardi

barkley

romero kranevitter

romero

baines otamendi stones coleman

rulli

We are also in finals for the champions cup, beating REAL MADRID 4-0 and the finals for the FA cup. we've also scored 78 goals, with Lukaku having 24 to lead the league, and I was just focusing on defense!

thanks

Season end: 31-3-4 for 96 points, both are premier league records! 86 goals, 27 allowed (almost 2x my goal of 14- much work to be done)

However there has to be an asterisk to the record because I rage quit twice, one ended up a tie, one win (would have lost both games) so subtract 4 points from my total, giving us 92 points, and 30-2-6. Still would have won because Chelsea finished second with 87 points.

Our Pione Sisto won English player of the year award with 11 goals, 11 assists in 26 games.

Lukaku top goal scorer- 24.

and I won the head coach award (tainted I know. I just could not take losing those 2 games to Hull and Norwich!)

Baines, Stones, Lukaku and Berardi were named to the select team.

Just did a quick reading to this thread. Mrjordan seems failed to understand the basic things in football

- defending isn't just a responsibility exclusive to defenders. Even a striker can contribute in its own way

- attacking mentality doesn't mean your team will be more "attacking" on the pitch. In fact mentality is just about how far the players are willing to take risks. By using an attacking mentality your players will be less hesitate to leave gaps behind when attacking opposition area, do ambitious dribble pass n shoot causing your side to lose possession, closing down more aggresively causing your team to lose its shape, n many more

- in my 6th season within my old southampton save, I always outplayed almost any team, including those managed by managers with attacking approach. N I was using counter to standart mentality. No more than standart. Against chelsea at stamford bridge, still managed by mourinho, my side got 62% possession, 32 shots with more than half of them were on goal, n 6 CCCs. We won 2-6

- as stated by cleon if I'm not wrong, in his article. Agaisnt superior (or more attacking) teams, they actually do half of your job to score by leaving gaps behind. This can explain why u suffered more shot from your opponents

- a car has many parts. 4 tires, a machine, fuel, seats, a steer, break pedal, safety belts, lights, a frame+car's body, etc, n finally a driver. You are the driver. U dictate the car's movement. Is your car suited to your driving style, is your car suited to the type of road n the current weather? Is every part working correctly? One part broken n your life is in danger. It's just like football. All player must be connected. Each player must do his job correctly. Every tactical aspects are linked. Shape, formation, mentality, roles, duty, TI, PI, OI are all linked together. U cant drive an onroad car in an offroad track. U will find it hard driving in the middle of night with broken lights. Footbal is similiar. Some systems works perfectly with an attacking mentality, but some systems cant work with the same mentality

Just did a quick reading to this thread. Mrjordan seems failed to understand the basic things in football

- defending isn't just a responsibility exclusive to defenders. Even a striker can contribute in its own way

- attacking mentality doesn't mean your team will be more "attacking" on the pitch. In fact mentality is just about how far the players are willing to take risks. By using an attacking mentality your players will be less hesitate to leave gaps behind when attacking opposition area, do ambitious dribble pass n shoot causing your side to lose possession, closing down more aggresively causing your team to lose its shape, n many more

- in my 6th season within my old southampton save, I always outplayed almost any team, including those managed by managers with attacking approach. N I was using counter to standart mentality. No more than standart. Against chelsea at stamford bridge, still managed by mourinho, my side got 62% possession, 32 shots with more than half of them were on goal, n 6 CCCs. We won 2-6

- as stated by cleon if I'm not wrong, in his article. Agaisnt superior (or more attacking) teams, they actually do half of your job to score by leaving gaps behind. This can explain why u suffered more shot from your opponents

- a car has many parts. 4 tires, a machine, fuel, seats, a steer, break pedal, safety belts, lights, a frame+car's body, etc, n finally a driver. You are the driver. U dictate the car's movement. Is your car suited to your driving style, is your car suited to the type of road n the current weather? Is every part working correctly? One part broken n your life is in danger. It's just like football. All player must be connected. Each player must do his job correctly. Every tactical aspects are linked. Shape, formation, mentality, roles, duty, TI, PI, OI are all linked together. U cant drive an onroad car in an offroad track. U will find it hard driving in the middle of night with broken lights. Footbal is similiar. Some systems works perfectly with an attacking mentality, but some systems cant work with the same mentality

that's very helpful, thank you. yes I am learning as I'm going on. I have had a lot of success using the attacking mentality however I have noticed that dropping down to standard against better teams does work better sometimes. Your explanation tells me why. I will try to remember this when we go up against Bayern in the champions cup final!

Lost 0-1 to Bayern off of a corner kick header by Muller.

Oh well, I'm happy with the premier league title. Next year we'll be better. I've got Tielemans and gunning for Munir as well since I just sold Berardi for $68 million to PSG.

And with a back line of baines, otamendi, nastasic and stones, (as Balanta learns and progresses) that should be a world class defense for years to come. Best of all time? Not yet but I think eventually...I'm shooting for the all time record 14 goals allowed next season.

Season end: 31-3-4 for 96 points, both are premier league records! 86 goals, 27 allowed (almost 2x my goal of 14- much work to be done)

However there has to be an asterisk to the record because I rage quit twice, one ended up a tie, one win (would have lost both games) so subtract 4 points from my total, giving us 92 points, and 30-2-6. Still would have won because Chelsea finished second with 87 points.

Our Pione Sisto won English player of the year award with 11 goals, 11 assists in 26 games.

Lukaku top goal scorer- 24.

and I won the head coach award (tainted I know. I just could not take losing those 2 games to Hull and Norwich!)

Baines, Stones, Lukaku and Berardi were named to the select team.

To be honest, the trick to being succesfull is being able to consistently win away against the relegation candidates. Its a lot more difficult to win against teams that park the bus and counter in FM than against the top sides.

In this years edition of FM it's not possible to consistently win all games against every oppenent without adjusting your tatics pre match.

The whole concept of the greatest defense is therefore a bit strange.

I managed to end a EPL season with 14 goals against with 3 atb without wingbacks. Like mentioned earlier its the responsibility of the whole team to help defend.

The 'greatest defence' starts at the striker position and moves back from there. I went 2 years unbeaten with Southampton, with the likes of Targett and Clyne in my defence, and it was really down to my tactics - high press, good balance between possession and attacking. High pressing full-backs on attack duty helps, the opposition rarely get out of their own half. One CM/DM on defend duty is all that's required, he'll sit back just in front of the CB's and recycle possession/make interceptions when attacks break down.

To be honest, the trick to being succesfull is being able to consistently win away against the relegation candidates. Its a lot more difficult to win against teams that park the bus and counter in FM than against the top sides.

In this years edition of FM it's not possible to consistently win all games against every oppenent without adjusting your tatics pre match.

The whole concept of the greatest defense is therefore a bit strange.

I managed to end a EPL season with 14 goals against with 3 atb without wingbacks. Like mentioned earlier its the responsibility of the whole team to help defend.

14 goals - that's fantastic. I agree with what you said. What you said is why I purchased Yarmolenko, as an attacker who can play defense.

I'm assuming you have fluid set up rather than structured?

The 'greatest defence' starts at the striker position and moves back from there. I went 2 years unbeaten with Southampton, with the likes of Targett and Clyne in my defence, and it was really down to my tactics - high press, good balance between possession and attacking. High pressing full-backs on attack duty helps, the opposition rarely get out of their own half. One CM/DM on defend duty is all that's required, he'll sit back just in front of the CB's and recycle possession/make interceptions when attacks break down.

High pressing full-backs on attack duty? interesting. you can't do that however when the opposition have their wingback's on attack because that would really leave you vulnerable...

I do have one DM on defend duty and also one DLP on defend duty as well

Archived