Why can't I "be the boss" without getting disliked by the players?

My players often gets unhappy because they don't get first team play. I talk about players who I signed as backup. I gave them "backup" status in the contract, but still they complaint after a few weeks because they don't get regular first team player. Then WHY did they sign for my club when I clearly stated in the contract that he will be used as a backup?

Even the players on the Youth 18 teams who are useless complaints about not getting regular first team play. The teams morale gets bad because of this. Really didn't have this problem on the previous versions.

Assuming that it's still early on in your save what profile options did you select for your manager (past exp/qualifications) & how did you distribute your attribute points?

With regards to new signings did they ask for backup status when they entered contract talks? After arriving at the club they might feel that the players already there are no better than they are. You can get a quick overview of how players in each position compare, go to Squad>Squad Depth & select the 'By Position' view, if you too many players that are assessed to be of equal ability then you will have problems keeping them all happy.

Assuming that it's still early on in your save what profile options did you select for your manager (past exp/qualifications) & how did you distribute your attribute points?

With regards to new signings did they ask for backup status when they entered contract talks? After arriving at the club they might feel that the players already there are no better than they are. You can get a quick overview of how players in each position compare, go to Squad>Squad Depth & select the 'By Position' view, if you too many players that are assessed to be of equal ability then you will have problems keeping them all happy.

I started as "international player". I don't have my game up and running right now, so I can't answer the other questions. However, when I think about it... When I signed the players, most of them wanted to become a first team player/rotation. So that may be a point. However, I don't understand why they accepted the contract offer when I changed their contracts to "backup". They said they're happy with the contract talks, so they signed for my club. No idea why they accepted it though, when they really want first team play.

Also I still have no idea why youth 18 players complain about lack of first team play when they have a long way to go. Most of my youth players have "big talent" as their contract status. May that be the reason? Sorr for my bad English, and thanks for your answer.

PS: The year is 2019, and I'm managing Burton in League Two (just a few wins from promotion).

Getting players to reduce their squad status during contract talks can always carry a risk that they will agree because the financial terms are more than their minimum expectations but that some of them might start to force you hand once they arrive at your club with a nice guaranteed contract.

I would only try this with players when my scouts tell me they will be 1.5-2 stars lower than the players currently playing in their position or if the are considered to be an unambitious player as they tend to be happy collecting their pay without too much complaint.

Use the screen that I mentioned in my initial reply, it's one that can be very useful when assessing squad balance & for identifying any potential issues about a lack of games long before that ever happens.

It is a weird one no doubt. Players listed as backup and rotation still come to you asking for first team football. What's even weirder is players who have high moral, good appearance rate and no complaints refuse to sign a new contract "due to dislike of the club" Not entirely sure what that means.

The moral system is quite broken and needs to be addressed. I think even though players are listed as "backup" they are still marked as a "first team player" somewhere in the system so they feel they deserve more time.

I think even though players are listed as "backup" they are still marked as a "first team player" somewhere in the system so they feel they deserve more time.
That's one aspect of the player happiness system, along with the actual squad status a player will have their own perception of the squad status they should be on & key members of staff will also have an opinion on what squad status the player should be on. If you have a player on a backup status it might not matter all that much if the player perceives that they are good enough for a first team status & this can drive their interactions with the manager.

IMO that's how it should work otherwise a player could end up being content with with not playing even though they should be & the only reason being that they signed a contract at backup status 2 or 3 years ago.

I don't know how often the OP gives backup and youth prospects some game time in the first team, but I think one should be aware that no player will accept never being played. Backups do expect to get matches now and then, either as subs or the occasional start. It's just good man management. And it's also neccessary in order for these players to progress properly. The temptation to play your best players all the time is strong, buy you simply can't. Or you won't have a team, pretty soon. If weeks or months go by without a backup player getting a chance, hell yes he will be upset - and rightly so.

The other option available is to loan these players out. Or simply sell them.

Archived