Setting positions when creating tactics

For the life of me, I can't figure something out:

When I create multiple formations and tactics, how do I get players to stay in the desired positions from formation to formation.

Example: Say I create a 4-4-2 and put all the players in the desired positions...then I create another tactic but a 3-5-1 or basically anything other than a 4-4-2, the players are always out of position. A fullback will be playing in attack and other players will be out of position. Putting players in their correct position for this formation will ultimately move them out of position for others. How do I correct this?

That's not what I'm saying.

I created a tactic with a certain formation. Player A set to ST, player B set to RB, player C set to RM...just an example.

I'll then create another formation/tactic but the players get mixed up. Instead of player being playing RB, the default formation has him playing at ST etc. It just screws up the positions. So, to correct it, I will move the players to their correct positions in formation #2 only to mix up their positions in formation 1.

I don't think there's much you can do. If you think about it, say you switch to your 3-5-1, you will still have two strikers on the pitch but only one position for them to take so one of them will have to take up a midfield position. Though I may, and would like to, be wrong.

Is that so hard to put them on right positions again? It's 10 seconds job.

You're missing the point. The problem is that if I have 5 or 6 tactics/formations, only 1 will be correct.

Will this effect training? Will it determine the familiarity with the formation if there is a RB in the final 3rd because the game wont let me set their positions for each formation?

Atherton, I understand what you're saying. For instance I have a 4-3-3 and a 3-5-1 hybrid. It always takes my RB and sticks in in a CAM role.

If there isn't really anything I can do about it, then I guess that's that but if it effects my team play, there should be something that can be done.

You can save team selections, I;m not sure if it will work in the way you want it to as I've never tried it myself. In theory picked your preferred staring XI for tactic #1 & save the selection then repeat for each of your other tactics.

Back to your original issue the only way to reduce the problem is to take care when creating each alternative formation, what I do is create my main formation & then us that as my base template. Using your 433 & 451 as the example once I have the 433 sorted I will move the wide player from the front 3 into the ML/MR positions & save that as my 451. If I want to change the 433 into a 352 I will push my DL & DR into the WBL/WBR or ML/MR position depending on what style 352 I'm going for, the central player in the midfield 3 will drop to the central position of the back 3 & the central player of the front 3 will the be dropped back to the central position in midfield which leaves the two wide players from the front 3 to become the 2 strikers at the top.

I hope that makes sense, it's a lot clearer in my mind than it is in writing.

They key thing is to always use your main formation as the base point & think about how you're going to adjust positions before you do it. Avoid using a tactic that has been save in a match, especially if there have been a lot of positional & player changes made during the match as they tend to be the ones that really mess things up.

Archived