Draws into wins

Wondering if anybody could offer some help / guidance on turning draws into wins?

In my second season as Barrow manager I've just won the Conference North surprisingly rather easily losing just 3 games all Season.

Despite the triumph I drew a total of 14 games, obviously not too much of a big deal as I won the league anyway but next Season an extra 2 points in games could be crucial...

League table:

33pg9c5.png

Home tactic:

etedlx.png

qqscqg.png

Away tactic:

jl11ya.png

eqnyiv.png

I don't have any specific player instructions (team struggled last season when using them). Home and Away team instructions are pretty much the same, I tend to play cms and forwards in their preferred position.

Any help?

We need to know more about how you are actually playing and the issues you are having in game. You say you draw a lot but that doesn't really tell us much or provide anything for us to really advise on. It would be good if you could add a few examples and mention in depth about the issues of why you are drawing these games exactly. Is it set pieces? Are the games high scoring blah blah, lots of blanks we need you to fill in if possible :)

I've read conceding goals is a common issue and it's no different for me.

First season I'd concede 2 goals most games, I've managed to lower than now but I'm still struggling to keep clean sheets. Drawing a lot of games 1-1 after going 1-0 up.

I need to start putting games to bed I suppose but every time I go 1-0 up, especially away I'm constantly worried about conceding, and will. I shouldn't have to go defensive, although in fact away I'm already playing an anchor man.

Fra for me to give advice as the likes of Cleon are far more of an expert than I but if I may I do see some things that stick out for me :

Home Tactic : You have two strikers on attack so that suggests both are far up the pitch. Certainly the poacher will be trying to get beyond the defence. Then you have a fairly attacking midfield. The two wide men are on attack, a BWM will push up and close down and whilst a CM S sits more than the others it is still a support role so fairly high up. You don't say what strategy you are using but lets say standard for arguments sake. Two CB's on defend and two full backs on auto so they won't get too far forward. With retain possession, shorter passing and pass into space it's possibly a bit of a contradiction. If you pass shorter and pass into space your forwards are running away from your passes so you may well lose possession.

Away Tactic : Even more so as you have all four defenders on defend so again with shorter passing all they have to aim for is the AM because two of your front three are running away from the ball. In a nutshell you seem quite aggressive with your forwards and midfield yet quite defensive with your defenders so gaps will appear between each area defence/midfield and attack. Gaps with shorter passing may well not work.

As I say I am far from an expert but with shorter passing maybe a more compact system would be better so players are closer together to receive the passes. Think as well that shorter passes with high tempo your players need to be good passers.

Other things to think about are : A lone poacher may be quite difficult to get to work as he won't play much part in any build up. It's not a necessity but I find in any three man midfield one defend, one support and one attack duty helps. Use tighter marking can pull your team out of shape. Certainly I think a TM and Poacher can work but you may be better with a TM on support

Just a few ideas I had.

If your problem with draws emanates from an inability to create chances (or even convert them) Id try not playing so narrowly and exploiting the flanks.

Generally speaking without knowing the specifics as Cleon said, both tactics seem to have important roles/players on the wings who are not properly utilised due to instructions.

I am also totally against having one home and one away tactic to be used always no matter the opponent / match.

Archived