(FM13) The Scandinavian Shankly Volume II

withnail316

Evening all

After taking a bit of time out to sort out a few issues with my laptop, I'm FINALLY happy that I can come back to FM and play the game at a decent speed.

I've tried and failed to launch a follow up to this career a couple of times only to be foiled by my technology, but this time things will be different. Speaking of different, you'll NEVER guess which country I'm going to play in... OK you will, but it is very unlike me!

In recent years I haven't ventured into England at all, and I think the break has been good for me on that front. This will be my first ever English save on FM13 and I'm genuinely excited about playing there again, although to maintain that excitement I'll be starting in either the BSP or the BSS/N with the aim of working my way up.

On my last career I set out with the aim of making a lower league Scandinavian club the biggest side in the world, and I'd like to do something similar with an English side too, but I'm not going to rule out moving clubs at some point. What I won't be doing however is moving to any giants of the game, as that simply doesn't suit the way I play the game. If I'm honest I view FM as being a form of escapism rather than trying to recreate real life, so I'd always rather win a club their first trophy than their 30th. I'm also not ruling out the possibility of taking my manager back to his homeland, but only if it is the only option for him or he can leave England in a blaze of glory.

Anyway, enough of that, time for the details:

FM13.3 with no edits

Leagues loaded from England (BSS/N & above) Scotland (Third Division & above) France (CFA & above) Wales (Welsh Premier only) Ireland (First Division & above)

Medium database, 22,000 players

The manager

32 year old Johan Andersen is the man in the hotseat. He is Danish born but has an English mother and has an automatic reputation. Like his father and grandfather before him, he is a lifelong fan of his local team Brøndby IF, and at some point in his career he would love to manage them if he ever gets the opportunity. For now though he is delighted to get his career under way in the East Midlands of England...

299px-Mansfield_Town_FCsvg.png

Mansfield Town

(From Wiki)

Mansfield Town Football Club is an English football club from the town of Mansfield, Nottinghamshire. The club was formed in 1897 as Mansfield Wesleyans, changing its name to Mansfield Wesley in 1906 before settling on Mansfield Town in 1910. They are nicknamed The Stags and traditionally play in amber and royal blue.

Since 1919 the team's home ground was known as Field Mill, which holds 8,186 seated spectators. The ground was renovated in 2001 after a decision not to move to a purpose-built ground.

In 2012-13, the club were part of the Blue Square Premier. Before this year, the club had won three trophies in their history: Division Four in 1974-75, Division Three in 1976-77 and the Football League Trophy in 1987.

stadiumdag1600262-1030361_1600x900.jpg

(From FM)

The media expect the club to be involved in the promotion picture, with a 4th place finish predicted. The club has a valuation of £3m with 1,300 season ticket holders. The club has a fierce rivalry with Chesterfield, and other rivalries with Notts County and Lincoln City. The club also has basic training and minimal youth facilities.

Mansfield Town

I've signed a 1 year deal worth £925p/w, and the board's expectations are to be involved in the play offs, so it would appear I need to hit the ground running. The good news is there is plenty of money around, with over £2m in the bank and a transfer budget of £250,000. I even have £6,500p/w to play with in wages, so I can easily get stuck into the transfer market.

My first job is likely to be replacing all my backroom team, as there isn't any that I think stands out. Here is my assistant's initial report of the squad, anyway:

report_1.png

report_2.png

I'll be aiming to build around young midfielder Chris Clements

Mansfield Town - season preview 2012-13

Blue Square Premier

Media expectation: 4th

Board expectation: qualify for the play offs

Transfer budget: (remaining) £0

Wage budget: £31,800p/w (£400 under budget)

A busy first few weeks at Field Mill then as I look to mould the squad into something that can challenge at the top end of the table. I replaced all of our backroom staff bar one scout and a coach, and I was even lucky enough to have the board agree to developing our youth facilities and to investigate moving up to a level 3 academy. I'm spending a little more than I would like on wages, so I'll be trying to shift a few reserve players in the coming weeks. Thankfully most of their contracts expire in the summer anyway, so even if I can't get rid of them now they'll be gone soon enough.

Transfers_summer_12.png

Players out

Nothing to see here, folks. All pretty rubbish...

Players in

Gauthier Mahoto: An old favourite from my FM11 days, I was delighted to see his name pop up on my scout report. At £3,000p/w I'm paying rather more than I would have liked, but he's an excellent addition.

Rui Marques: A little older than I would have liked, but he's an excellent addition in the heart of the back four. Certainly good enough for the next couple of seasons.

Vincent Pericard: Not too many goals in his recent past, but a good target man and a real improvement on what we already had up front.

Hamza Bencherif: On loan for nothing from Notts County, the Algerian is perfect if I decide to use an anchorman in midfield, and can even play in the back four if I need it. An excellent addition.

Darren McGeouch: Another excellent signing at this level, McGeouch will have the more attacking role of my central midfielders. Room to improve with game time, too.

Martin Camano: Released by Sligo Rovers after just four games, Camano's partnership with Marques will be key for us this season. Slightly worried they aren't the quickest, but we should get by.

Romone Rose: Something of a gamble this one, he was recommended by my assistant and I decided to run with it. Likely to play the poacher role alongside Pericard.

Owen Morrison: With a relatively small squad, having versatile players is key, and Morrison is certainly that. We aren't the strongest out wide, but as Morrison can play on either side, he's likely to start every week if he's fit.

Rob Lainton: A huge improvement in goal, Lainton arrives on loan from Bolton in a deal that doesn't cost a penny. Perfect.

Damian Casalinuovo: This Argentine has spent much of his career kicking around in various Scottish reserve teams, but he looks decent enough to make an impression at this level. His contract is a little longer than I wanted, but I'll cross that bridge later...

Derrick Williams: Another familiar name for me from FM11, Williams provides excellent cover defensively, and once again doesn't cost a penny.

Time for some friendlies...

Guest Darius Basu

Gauthier Mahoto! Now that guy was something on FM11. Played for my Wimbledon team all the way from the BSP to the Europa League.

Gauthier Mahoto! Now that guy was something on FM11. Played for my Wimbledon team all the way from the BSP to the Europa League.

Yeah, he was immense. I picked him up in countless saves at different levels and he always delivered. Hoping he does the same here...

Here's how the friendlies went...

Friendlies_12_13.png

We weren't spectacular, but we did OK bar the Harrogate game.

I decided to bring in a couple of extra loan players too:

Evan_Horwood.png

We were lacking quality at left back, and with Horwood not getting a game at Hartlepool he was an ideal option. Again, he hasn't cost a penny.

Wes_Fletcher.png

Fletcher came in after Pericard picked up a knee knock which will see him out until September, and it might also allow me to get rid of some of our fringe strikers.

August

BSP: Mansfield 2-0 Newport County

A solid opening day performance, although far from perfect. Strikers Wes Fletcher and Romone Rose with the goals.

BSP: Gateshead 2-3 Mansfield

Really happy with our attacking expertise here, although we’ve got some work to do defensively. We fell behind after a clumsy Horwood challenge inside the area led to a penalty, but on the stroke of half time Casalinouvo smashed home a leveller. A clever one two allowed Meikle to put us in front before Fletcher slotted home a third, and despite a late Gateshead free kick, we hung on.

BSP: Kidderminster 5-1 Mansfield

No idea what happened here, but after leading 1-0 at half time thanks to a Mahoto penalty, we were torn to shreds in the second half. Plenty to think about.

BSP: Mansfield 2-0 Hyde

An excellent way to bounce back, and I was especially pleased with the clean sheet. Casalinuovo and Morrison on target, although we should probably have had more.

BSP: Grimsby 0-0 Mansfield

I thought we just edged this, but there was very little in it so a point is perhaps fair enough. More a point gained than two lost, and Camano was exceptional.

August_12.png

• 2 weeks later...

September

BSP: Mansfield 2-0 Woking

A decent performance brings about another home win. Strikers Casalinouvo and Fletcher with a goal apiece.

BSP: Mansfield 5-1 Tamworth

The best performance of my short time at the club. Casalinouvo and Fletcher with two more each and an OG.

BSP: Ebbsfleet 1-0 Mansfield

A disappointing display against the part-timers, and we didn't get going at all. We looked like we'd do enough for a point until we fell asleep late on and got punished.

BSP: Mansfield 3-2 Braintree

Braintree found themselves top of the table ahead of this game, and they looked a decent side. Still, our front two continue to bag the goals, two more for Fletcher and one for Casalinouvo ensure the points stay in Nottinghamshire

BSP: Telford 2-5 Mansfield

Really happy with this performance, we're certainly not short of a goal or two in the early weeks of the season! Fletcher bagged a hat-trick here, with Casalinouvo and Marques the others on the score sheet.

BSP: Macclesfield 3-1 Mansfield

We couldn't live with the Silkmen here, although we weren't helped by Mahoto's red card in the first half. They tore us to shreds in the second half, and even Camano's goal only came in stoppage time.

BSP: Mansfield 3-0 Hereford

Six wins out of six home games is not to be sniffed at. Once again, it was a win inspired by the front two, with Fletcher, Casalinouvo and Meikle bagging the goals.

September_12.png

October

BSP: Cambridge 0-2 Mansfield

Another good display, and again the front two Fletcher and Casalinouvo with the goals.

BSP: Mansfield 2-1 Lincoln

You'll never guess who scored the goals here? Yep, Casalinouvo and Fletcher.

BSP: Mansfield 1-1 Forest Green Rovers

That perfect home record was never going to last forever, but we were average at best here. Luckily Louis Briscoe rescued a point for us late on.

FAC4Q: Grimsby 1-2 Mansfield

A place in the first round proper thanks to Fletcher and a stoppage time winner from Pericard. We'll meet Brentford away next month.

BSP: Dartford 1-3 Mansfield

One from Casalinouvo and two from Fletcher keep us right in the automatic promotion picture.

October_12-1.png

With the early form of Fletcher and knowing he's out of contract at Burnley in the summer so there's guaranteed to be other interest, I've made my mind up to get him signed before anybody else can. Deal agreed for £10,000 for him, and considering he's scored 16 goals in 17 games, that looks like a great deal.

Fletcher_signed.png

Archived