Bayern 4-1-4-1

Hello, I've played FM for several years but have never managed above Skrill Premier so I am in new territory with my Benfica team. It's 2026 so all players are regens. I've had a great save after working my way from Sky 1 and around Europe but I have been sacked from Malaga and Vitesse mostly due to tactics. Specifically, I want to keep the board happy and utilize domestic players and their skills.

Anyway, I'm interested in a possession tactic like Pep Guardiola has used - See articles here. My primary focus is to pressure effectively, secondarily - I would like to invest my funds into brilliant technicians on the wings who will create plays with through balls and one-twos.

The formation:

HTsxu.jpg

Some explanations:

Standard mentality; control seems most logical but I'm afraid of being exposed on the counter attack with AML/AMR instead of wide midfielders. I choose control vs much weaker opposition.

Fluidity; not really sure about this setting

Higher defensive line, hassle opponents, front 5 set to 'Mark Tighter'; my main desire is to pressure.

Shorter passing, play narrower; this should help retain possession but pressure quickly when I lose it in the centre of the pitch.

Drill crosses, pass into space; I'd like my chances to come from wingers who will avoid lobbing 50/50 balls into the area.

The players:

Poacher; as a lone forward, I'm unsure what I want this guy to do. Since I don't pass direct or float crosses, I'm not thrilled to have a DLF or target man. F9 has been terrible for me. Would a DF-S make runs for through balls often?

Wide attackers; Winger, IF, or playmakers? I want my attacks to come from the flanks and from my understanding - a play-maker will find space and make himself available for a simple pass. Alternatively, I could try the 'Exploit the flanks' instruction?

Midfield; I have the CM-A set to roam, close down more, and get into the box. I would like for him to own the hole like a Trequartista but without my team feeding him the ball too often.

Defensive Midfielder; which role is best to use as a single-pivot? Presumably it's an Anchor Man but I've seen him struggle to slow down counter-attacks. That could be my players fault though.

Wingbacks; they are instructed to get further forward. I'd like to see them recycle possession as we move up the pitch and provide width if my attackers cut inside.

So that's my tactic - I've bolded my main concerns. Additionally, I would like some advice on my fluidity setting and the 'Retain Possesion' and 'Stick to Positions' instructions. Three options I've toyed with are keeping it as is, simply adding 'Retain Possesion', or changing to 'Fluid' and using 'Stick to Positions' to compress the midfield and help with possession.

Archived