Help with counter attacking tactic

Hi fm-community,

i want to start a new save with Real Madrid and i want them to play two different tactics. One for teams that are much weaker than real and one for teams that are equal-ish or play a possension based tactic.

I need your help for the second tactic. I want them to play similar to how Bayern played against Barcelona in the Champions League semi-final in 2013 and Real played in last years semi-final against Bayern.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2013/04/24/bayern-munich-4-0-barcelona-bayern-produce-an-astonishingly-dominant-performance/

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2014/04/30/bayern-munich-0-4-real-madrid-real-go-ahead-through-set-pieces-ensure-thrashing-with-counter-attacks/

I feel that they played very similar, in terms of pressing and a rather counter-attacking style. My problem is that i don t know how to translate that playing style into fm terms.

I want to defend narrow in a 4-5-1 or a 4-4-2 shape, sit deep and when i win the ball i want to counter with as less passes as possible

I think i would set it up in a 4-4-1-1 with ml slots rahter than aml because of the defending shape, eventhough ronaldo is unfamiliar with that position.

Fluidity: Rigid (because they need to be diciplined in devensive phases)

Mentality: Counter

Team Instructions: more direct passing, drop deeper, higher tempo, be more disciplined

GK: GK-D

DL: FB-S (to cover behind Ronaldo)

DC: CD-D

DC: CD-D

DR: WB-A (to help Bale offensively)

ML: WM-A + cut inside with the ball + dribble more

MCL: CM-D

MCR: B2B (I want replicate here the javi martinez role, harassing the opponents play maker, closing down midfielders and help transition from defence to offence)

MR: WM-S

AMC: AP-A

CF: DF-S

please say what you would do diffently and why you would change it.

i am glad for any kind of held.

thanks!

I dont really see you need direct passing. maybe run at defence since you want bale/Ronaldo to drive at the oppostion with the ball on counter.. even Di maria from central position (Central Winger)

You seriuosly lack firepower up front..

With a such defensive mentatily (counter).. but also a bunch of defensive duty.. its not a good mix i feel.

I would run 4-1-4-1.. with a DM on DLP(D) or DM(D).. then 2 CMs will be AP(S)+CM(A).. .. froward will be either AF(A) or CF(S)...

Just my view.. i like more runners to drive at oppostion on counter.. you need passing options.. which means runners...

Thanks for your reply!

I thought the 4-4-1-1 would suit James and since Ronaldo, Bale, Benzema and James don t usually play defense I wanted to force them by setting them up more defensively (with the mentality on counter). I also thoought about a DLP-D instead of the CM-D. I am still not sure what Role Javi Martinez played for Bayern during the 2013 season.

In one of the earlier issues of the Clear Cut Chance magazine (the 2nd one IIRC), there was an article on the counterattacking style that Real use. The author actually suggested using an attacking mentality tempered by a deep defensive line to recreate the quick transitions and rapid counterattacks as the in game "counter" style can lead to a more cautious measured approach.

I read the article, very interesting, though i am not shure if that would still work, because of the new updates since the article. i thought i could get the fast transitions with the teaminstructions more dircet passing and higher tempo.

With my Cambridge United save (currently a midtable Premier League side some decades into the future), we play a 4-4-2 on attacking, with a deep defensive line, retain possession and work ball into box to recreate a fast, counter attacking system. It's not perfect, but seems to be performing roughly how I'd expect. Most of our goals come from fast break-aways, but if we don't immediately fashion a chance after regaining possession the wing backs tend to get up in support and rain in crosses. We rarely have the majority of possession though.

I read the article, very interesting, though i am not shure if that would still work, because of the new updates since the article. i thought i could get the fast transitions with the teaminstructions more dircet passing and higher tempo.

If the underlying prinicples are solid, then game updates won't change it significantly. :)

Archived