I'm Done

After over 20 years of playing this game since my friend lent me his copy of CM back when I was in year 9 on my Amiga I've finally come to the conclusion that it's best days are WAY behind it and I'm not going to waste anymore time frustrating myself by clinging on to a feint hope that it will suddenly jerk into life and return to the fantastic game that it once was.

Over the past 7 or 8 years the game has become too complex and although I appreciate that there are a large number of people who want this over-kill (IMO) on the detail which is turning what used to be a football coach/match engine simulator where you spent 70% of your time doing team stuff and the other 30% in the matches into a corporate management game where only 3-4% of my time is actually in a match. Now some might argue that this is where the 'Manager' part comes in or even that this is just how football is these days but that is just not for me I'm afraid as quite frankly it is dull and boring. I have enough of corporate management in my day job dealing with staffing issues, budget talks and company investment/expansion that I really don't want to be doing the same thing, albeit in a virtual environment, when I am supposedly in my 'down time'.

MOM keepers stopping all you have, changes to tactics that never work, the freakishly unrealistic amount of times that teams you should hammer beat you each season etc etc are all things that have been around for years and despite the bleating of some that 'it's your tactics' I just can't agree nor accept that as an ultimate argument killer anymore. In my book it is not acceptable and I will not plough anymore of my hard earned money into the further development and subsequent degradation of this game.

Ultimately I'll probably look back on FM like some of my ex-girlfriends, with distaste at first, with nostalgic fondness a little further down the line but finally with the realization that there is just no compatibility there anymore and I'm best off without it and can move onto better things.

I don't know why you're telling me this. When I stop playing a franchise, my initial reaction is not to write a short article on it to people who don't care. My usual reaction is to player another good game, perhaps even from that franchise.

You could have just added your comment to the existing thread. Most of your issues sound like tactical issues, which could be cleared up in the tactics forum. That's an option if you ever decide to return. If you're looking for something simpler, try FMH.

Archived