Playing with 14.2 update...

Hi there,

I hadn't played FM14 for a week or two so after recently returning to my saved game...i lost 5 - 1 away to 3rd Division Airdrie in the Scottish Cup (i'm Celtic) yet before my hiatus i was holding my own against Barca, Madrid etc...ok so i wasnt whooping them but still, i wasnt being pumped either. A quick check of the FM news (on steam) told me there had been a match engine update, think its fair to say that alarm bells started ringing.

I am currently 8 years in to my save game and it took me about 2 seasons to get my tactics spot on (I have a few depending on quality/style of team i play against) and now none of them are working. Is there a way to revert back to the 14.2 update? Even if it means starting again so my bloody tactics work.

14.3 update has complete taken the fun out of FM for me :(

Cheers

Hi there,

I hadn't played FM14 for a week or two so after recently returning to my saved game...i lost 5 - 1 away to 3rd Division Airdrie in the Scottish Cup (i'm Celtic) yet before my hiatus i was holding my own against Barca, Madrid etc...ok so i wasnt whooping them but still, i wasnt being pumped either. A quick check of the FM news (on steam) told me there had been a match engine update, think its fair to say that alarm bells started ringing.

I am currently 8 years in to my save game and it took me about 2 seasons to get my tactics spot on (I have a few depending on quality/style of team i play against) and now none of them are working. Is there a way to revert back to the 14.2 update? Even if it means starting again so my bloody tactics work.

14.3 update has complete taken the fun out of FM for me :(

Cheers

No, there is no way to revert.

If before the update, you were matching Barcelona, and after you're losing 5-1 to Airdrie then it's one of two things. Either bad luck, or you were exploiting some hole in the match engine that's now been closed. Looks like you'll need to adapt.

No, there is no way to revert.

If before the update, you were matching Barcelona, and after you're losing 5-1 to Airdrie then it's one of two things. Either bad luck, or you were exploiting some hole in the match engine that's now been closed. Looks like you'll need to adapt.

I didn't mean i was beating Barcelona 6 - 0 or anything like that. What i meant was that playing a certain way helped me scrape a draw or a 1 - 0 win at home.

I have various tactics, all based around 4-3-2-1. What tactic i equip is dependant upon the team i am playing. The one that gets used the most is the one i use in the domestic league. That is becuase i am the stronger team 100% of the time but if i'm winning by +2 goals with about 10/15 mins to go i'll change to a more possession based tactic thus frustrating the opponent.

Against better quality teams i have a counter attacking tactic i use at home and a defensive one away from home.

Against teams that are similiar to me i'll use a posession based tactic for around 25mins then decide what tactic would suit best depending on how the opponent is playing.

Why should i need to tinker with all my tactics just because someone at FM thought Celtic shouldnt be beating Barcelona? (It happened IRL btw).

FM14..you are dead to me :(

Why should i need to tinker with all my tactics just because someone at FM thought Celtic shouldnt be beating Barcelona? (It happened IRL btw).

Aye, that's what happened. They're watching your save, saw you winning and though "How dare he? Let's make it our mission to ruin everything". That sounds right.

...or, like I said, your tactics were exploiting some hole in the ME that doesn't exist anymore. Or is that more far-fetched than the "SI are out to get me" argument?

Aye, that's what happened. They're watching your save, saw you winning and though "How dare he? Let's make it our mission to ruin everything". That sounds right.

...or, like I said, your tactics were exploiting some hole in the ME that doesn't exist anymore. Or is that more far-fetched than the "SI are out to get me" argument?

/facepalm

You can't seriously believe i was being specific to me? It was a generalisation.

/facepalm

You can't seriously believe i was being specific to me? It was a generalisation.

It's hyperbole. And even as a generalisation it doesn't really hold.

If you really want help, visit the tactics forum and they'll be able to point out what's going wrong. Because getting beaten 5-1 off Airdrie means there is something seriously wrong.

Archived