FM 2014: Players' roles and duties - Still offering you the best advices and ideas!

Fabio MVP

Just like we were offering you advices, help and ideas when it comes to players' roles and/or duties for Football Manager 2011, Football Manager 2012 and for Football Manager 2013 we will be doing the same for Football Manager 2014.

Whether you need an advice, help and/or an idea for the best roles and/or duties for your players, whether you would like to share with us which are the best roles and/or duties for players that you have had experience with or you just want to help and/or give an idea in general then this is the thread where you all are welcome to post.

We will all do our best to help you. :thup:

Please use the format below, so we could help you in the best possible way. :thup: Thank you in advance. :thup:

Format:

Name:

Position(s):

Role (onky if you are suggesting a role):

Duty (only if you are suggesting a duty):

Other additional instructions:

Club:

Club's formation:

What do you want from your player:

SS is needed if the players are newgens, if the real players don't have the same attributes as they have at the start of the game and if the players have at least one random attribute, so they don't have the same attributes in every save game.

Good luck! :)

Name: Alberto Paloshci (cheap man's Muller)

Position(s): ST (converting to AMC)

Club: Chievo, I'v brought him for Southampton.

Club's formation: 4231

What do you want from your player: To play similar to Muller.

So as I have not played with Bayern yet, I would like to know how to get the best out of Muller (FC Bayern). So I can try to recreate it for Paloschi

Name: Alberto Paloshci (cheap man's Muller)

Position(s): ST (converting to AMC)

Club: Chievo, I'v brought him for Southampton.

Club's formation: 4231

What do you want from your player: To play similar to Muller.

So as I have not played with Bayern yet, I would like to know how to get the best out of Muller (FC Bayern). So I can try to recreate it for Paloschi

I also haven't ever played with Bayern Munchen and I also have never managed Thomas Muller. But, Thomas Muller is AMR, so they are not playing in the same position. If you want my advice based on his attributes and based on that you will use him as AMC then I would play him as a Shadow Striker.

• 3 weeks later...

Name: Christiano Ronaldo

Position(s): AML

Role (onky if you are suggesting a role): Inside Foward

Duty (only if you are suggesting a duty): dribble more, roam from position, get further foward

Club: Real Madrid

Club's formation: 4-2-3-1

What do you want from your player: Playing ok but not scoring as many as would have hoped and not getting into good positions

any tip on how you would play him?

Duty (only if you are suggesting a duty): dribble more, roam from position, get further foward

What do you want from your player: Playing ok but not scoring as many as would have hoped and not getting into good positions

I would get rid of 'dribble more' and 'roam from position'. If he's encouraged to dribble more, the chance is he might be more likely to do the overly fancy and dribble into trouble (as good as his dribbling attributes are) rather than simply getting the ball and shooting. Similarly, if he is roaming from his position he will be more likely to end up receiving the ball too far from the goal to make any real impact.

Remember that the Inside Forward role will give him instructions to cut inside and run at goal anyway, any other instructions could just needlessly complicate his role.

I would play him in AML position because that his only natural position. As for his role and duty I would rotate between Inside Forward (Attack) and Inside Forward (Support) to see what suits him the best in order for him to achieve what you want from him. As for additional instructions I would go with Shoot More Often, Dribble More, Pass It Shorter, Fewer Risky Passes, Cross From Deep, Get Further Forward, Sit Narrower, Roam From Position, Close Down Less and Ease Off Tackles no matter whether you use him as an Inside Forward (Attack) or as an Inside Forward (Support).

• 1 month later...

Name: Michu

Position(s): AMC or Forward

Role (onky if you are suggesting a role): Treq?

Club:Swansea

Club's formation: 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-2-2-1 (4-5-1)

What do you want from your player: To produce, im gettin nothing out of him. How should you play your players around him? Inside Forward - attack / Treq-Attack / Winger - Attack behind a complete forward - support or Adv. forward - attack, thats what im using

Name: Michu

Position(s): AMC or Forward

Role (onky if you are suggesting a role): Treq?

Club:Swansea

Club's formation: 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-2-2-1 (4-5-1)

What do you want from your player: To produce, im gettin nothing out of him. How should you play your players around him? Inside Forward - attack / Treq-Attack / Winger - Attack behind a complete forward - support or Adv. forward - attack, thats what im using

What exactly do you want him to produce? If you want my advice based on his only natural position which is AMC and based on his attributes I would play him in AMC position as a Shadow Striker.

• 1 month later...

I didnt have many ST's last season so I played a 4-2-3-1 formation with the roles as;

AMR - IF(A) AMC - T(A) AML - W (A)

ST - CF(S)

This was with this guy leading the line:

1zwj0cp.jpg

I signed a few Regen ST's in pre-season and I've changed to more of a 4-2-4 formation;

AMR - IF(A) AML - W (A)

ST ST

This is the guy who im looking to partner him with:

2zpkthl.jpg

Im not sure which Roles each of them should be set as though, any advice would be appreciated.

Also, any tips of which PPM's they should each have?

• 4 weeks later...
I didnt have many ST's last season so I played a 4-2-3-1 formation with the roles as;

AMR - IF(A) AMC - T(A) AML - W (A)

ST - CF(S)

This was with this guy leading the line:

1zwj0cp.jpg

I signed a few Regen ST's in pre-season and I've changed to more of a 4-2-4 formation;

AMR - IF(A) AML - W (A)

ST ST

This is the guy who im looking to partner him with:

2zpkthl.jpg

Im not sure which Roles each of them should be set as though, any advice would be appreciated.

Also, any tips of which PPM's they should each have?

I would play Patrice Labbe as a STC(l) in a Poacher role or in an Advanced Forward role. I would teach him Likes To Try To Beat Offside Trap, Moves Into Channels and Places Shots PPM's. When it comes to Danny Alzapiedi I would play him as a STC® in Deep Lying Forward (Support) role. I would unlearn him those PPM's and teach him Comes Deep To Get The Ball/Likes To Play With His Back To Goal, Tries Through Balls (if it's possible) and Shoots With Power PPM's. I would also consider teaching both of them Plays One-Twos PPM.

• 2 weeks later...

Name: Sergio Aguero

Position(s): Lone Striker

Club: Man City

What do you want from your player: Score goals, creat chances for himself, run with ball

• 2 months later...

Archived