what should I be looking for in an Assistant Manager?

Assistant Manager

In my opinion, the most important member of staff is the assistant manager. A good assistant manager can not only assist with advice and decisions, but if you're struggling with team-talks, opposition instructions, or need help and advice during matches with feedback, then a good assistant manager can be a great learning tool as well. Especially when you begin to think about why they make the suggestions they do.

A good assistant manager in my opinion, has strong attributes in the following:

· Motivating

· Man Management

· Tactical Knowledge

· Judging Player Ability

Motivating and Man Management are useful for team-talk suggestions. Man Management, Judging Player Ability and Tactical Knowledge are useful for opposition instructions and tactical feedback before and during matches. All four help with any other suggestions that an assistant can make, one way or the other. Other attributes can be helpful of course, but I believe that these four are the key attributes when it comes to good assistant advice and help.

Quoted from my thread in Tactis & Training Tips.

There's other attributes you can look out for as well, if you want them to perform coaching tasks, but what I've suggested is for an assistant primarily tasked with offering advice and suggestions.

Personally, I think a good assistant manager is an excellent advice and learning tool. They're pretty much a "live" help option if they have the right attributes.

The only attribute my assistant currently lacks, is Tea Making, unfortunately. :p

Thanks for your help Heath, I have now decided that, wage budget permitting, I am going to find myself a new situation. He has a ten or less in all the stats you mentioned, and the rest of his stats are pretty poor. I think the only reason he is their Ass Man is because he is a club legend (Nayim of Zaragoza). Time for us to part ways I think!

The only attribute my assistant currently lacks, is Tea Making, unfortunately. :p

You have your personal assistant for that :p

darn, didnt see this thread when i posted about asst.managers. i'm trying to work out why, when searching for players, my asst.manager filters out REALISTIC targets as well. any attributes that will ensure he just filters out genuinely unrealistic targets? and sorry for posting something similar to this already on the forum.....

Bah, Zaragoza have 3 Assistant Managers!!! Im going to have to remove all three and hope I can get a good one lol.

Alan, if your Ass Man is filtering out realistic targets, it may be down to his determination and judging player ability being low? Similarly, what you think is realistic and what he thinks is realistic is subjective, it may be that you simply dont agree.

no, i'm right on what is unrealistic, because i've actually SIGNED players who he says are realistic, thereby proving they are not. if i can sign someone, especially without offering the earth and silly clauses like minimum fee release clauses then they must be realistic targets.

why does judjing player abiliy come into it? surely players of varying ability would still consider joining my club? one of the players i'm talking about is from benfica, and i'm villa, so it's not like it's a step down or anything.

i'm wondering if the asst.manager is going on team reputation but i dont see an attribute that would make him good at judging this.......

Motivating, Determination, Discipline and Man Management for team talks.

Tactical (not knowledge), to the opposition instructions. -> A lot of people think that tactical knowledge is used attribute to opposition instructions, but it's false. If you notice in the Pre-match advice meeting, the assistant manager, who's giving you the second opinion about the opposition instructions (eg: Player X should be marked tightly during game) only shows 2 attributes (the ones that are used for that instruction), Club Players Knowledge (as we know, this one increases during the time he's with the team) and Tactical. So, Tactical is the key attribute to opposition instructions, tactical knowledge as nothing to do with it.

Adaptability, to increase quicker the Club Players Knowledge. Usually, and obviously, I hire the assistant manager right in the beginning of the game or in end of the season (May/June) to avoid a very low Club Players Knowledge.

Those are the most important IMO.

Then if he have Judging player ability and/or potential + tactical knowledge wouldn't hurt.

Archived