FM11: Scunthorpe United Thread

Club Information

scunthorpe.png

With help of Wikipedia

Scunthorpe United are a professional football club who currently play in The npower Championship. Formed in 1899, they merged with Lindsey United in 1910 and the club was now known as Scunthorpe and Lindsey United. In 1912 Scunthorpe and Lindsey United joined the Midland Football League. They won this competition in the 1926/27 season and the 38/39 season. After the end of the war Scunthorpe and Lindsey kept applying to join the Football League. However, they were unsuccessful until 1950 when they were finally granted league football. 29 years after their first application. Their first league game was in the Football League Division 3 North where they played fellow newcomers Shrewsbury Town.

Scunthorpe United’s current home is called Glanford Park and its capacity is 9,183(7000 seated). It is fairly new in terms of when it was built as it was built in 1988 due to the new regulations for football stadiums. Scunthorpe United couldn’t afford to redevelop the Old Showground so decided to buy some land just out of town in nearby Glanford.

Scunthorpe United have spent most of their time in the lower levels of the Football League but in the past few seasons they have been in The npower Championship or have been close to being promoted to The npower Championship. They have had two promotions to The npower Championship with one being in the 2006/07 season and the other being in the 2008/09 season when they beat Millwall in the Play-Off Final to secure their return the Championship.

The 2009/10 season for Scunthorpe was all about survival and they did that as they finished in a respectable 20th place. The 2010/11 season will be similar. After losing key players in the summer, most notably Grant McCann, Paul Hayes and Gary Hooper. Scunthorpe will be looking to have a third season in The npower Championship next season.

Club Information

Chairman: Steve Wharton

Other Staff: Keith Wagstaff, Rex Garton, David Beeby

Legends: Alex Calvo-Garcia

Icons: Jack Brownsword, Barrie Thomas, Billy Sharp, Andrew Keogh, Ray Clemence, Kevin Keegan, Andy Butler, Nigel Adkins, Peter Beagrie, Mark Lillis, Steve Cammack, Richard Money, Ian Botham

Fierce Rivals: Grimsby Town, Lincoln City, Hull City

Other Rivals: Doncaster Rovers, Sheffield Wednesday, Boston United, Rotherham United

Finances: Secure

Club Kits

ScunthorpeUnitedInformation_Overview.png

So why should you be Scunthorpe United?

The reason why you should be Scunthorpe United is because they are a great club where you can write your own history. Expectations aren’t too much so as long as you avoid relegation in your first season you should be ok.

Board Expectations

Attempt to Avoid Relegation: £500k Transfer Budget/£10k extra Wage Budget

Avoid Relegation: £650k Transfer Budget/£15k extra Wage Budget

Mid-table Finish: £700k Transfer Budget/£16k extra Wage Budget

Top-half Finish: £775k Transfer Budget/£17k extra Wage Budget

Promotion: £825k Transfer Budget/£18k extra Wage Budget

Title Challenge: £875k Transfer Budget/£19k extra Wage Budget

Winner: £950k Transfer Budget/£20k extra Wage Budget

The board expectations aren’t too problematic and with a few good signings you should be able to achieve a mid-table finish. The club are currently spending just over £38k on wages. I advise you to go with the attempt to avoid relegation expectation as this gives you fairly decent transfer budget and some wages to play with. If you like wheeling and dealing then you can move your transfer budget over to wages to give yourself some more funds for player wages.

Squad Analysis

Goalkeeper

Joe Murphy: Murphy is the best keeper at the club and is the only one worth mentioning about. He should be your number one for a few seasons and someone who you can rely on at the back. His contract expires at the end of the season; I would suggest that you try to extend until 2015.

Youth Prospects: None

This is a weak position at the club as you currently do not have a decent back up to Murphy. There are many free goalkeepers out there who are more than good enough to be back up.

Transfer Targets: Jimmy Walker, Tony Warner, Adriano Basso

Obviously there are more goalkeepers that are available but I am just giving you some notable ones.

Right Backs

Trent McClenahan: Trent is one of two right backs at the club that aren’t superb but can do the job. His stats aren’t the great but his wages are high. His contract expires on the 31st of December. I would advise that you let him go in December and look to sign another right back.

Andrew Wright: The other right back at the club. I would look at extending Wright’s contract by another year as it expires at the end of the season. The main reason for this is because of his versatility. He can play in the centre of midfield or at left back as well as being a right back. In my opinion Wright is better than McClenahan but not good enough to be your long term right back.

Transfer Targets: At this moment in time you do not need to sign replacement unless you see someone who is really good and worth buying. When it comes to January it may be worth looking for a loan signing at right back if you don’t renew McClenahan’s contract.

Left Backs

Jim McNulty: McNulty is currently on loan from Brighton again after his previous loan spell at the end of last season. Although not the best he is a more than able back up who could do the job until you find a better left back. His loan spell ends at the end of December, I would look at extending it until the end of the season as you can get away with not paying any of his wages if you put in another loan bid for him.

Transfer Targets: Salomon Olembe and Michael Ball.

With only one decent left back at the club this is another position that needs to be strengthened.

Centre Backs

Rob Jones: Probably should be your first choice centre back alongside David Mirfin. Although some of his stats aren’t the best he has some decent physicals which can be quite useful in The npower Championship. His contract expires in two years and because he is 30 now and on £5k a week I wouldn’t advise extended it unless he performs great.

David Mirfin: Mirfin should probably be your centre back alongside Jones. He has some decent stats for a central defender and should be able to do the job for a few years. His contract expires at the end of the season so I would advise extending it until 2014.

Cliff Byrne: Byrne has been at the club for a long time and is still a good player and could probably push Mirfin, Jones, Raynes and Nolan for a first team place. His contract expires in two years so depending how well you do may determine whether you should extend his contract or not. I would look at getting him to tutor Niall Canavan as Byrne has some good all round stats which could help Canavan’s progression.

56390fd9-5d47-4dab-a79f-a18ccbeeb571.jpg

Michael Raynes: Another centre back at the club who is more than capable of being a part of the first choice pairing at centre back. Still only 22 which gives him time to develop and maybe become first choice. His contract expires in 2012, so I would advise maybe looking at extending it after the first season.

Eddie Nolan: Nolan is on loan from Preston until the end of December. I would look at trying to extend this until the end of the season. Although you have an abundance of players that can play central defence it helps to have his versatility at the back. His best position is centre back but he can play either side of that which is a bonus.

Niall Canavan: Canavan is the hottest prospect throughout all the youngsters at Scunthorpe and although his contract expires in 2013 I would look at extending it until 2015 as he can become a great player for the club. I would also look at getting him tutored by Byrne.

Youth Prospects: Niall Canavan, Nick Adkins, Ashley Palmer

Transfer Targets: This position is the position that is covered the most at the club. Therefore you do not need to sign anyone.

Right Midfielders

Garry Thompson: Thompson is the best right midfielder/attacking right midfielder at the club. His contract expires at the end of the season so I would advise looking at extending it until 2015.

Transfer Targets: Gael Nlundulu, Andy van der Meyde, Martijn Reuser.

Left Midfielders

Martyn Woolford: The best left midfielder/attacking left midfielder at the club. He is a good player and his contract expires at the end of the season so I would look at extending it until 2014.

Bobby Grant: The summer signing from Accrington Stanley has some promise. He is good enough as a back up already and if he progresses he could well be your first choice left midfielder/attacking left midfielder in a few years time. His contract expires in 2012 and I would look to extend it until 2015.

Transfer Targets: This is a fairly strong position at the club already. Therefore it is not essential to sign anyone unless you plan on sending Bobby Grant out on loan.

Central Midfielders

Sam Togwell: Togwell is a good central midfielder for the club and depending on what formation you play he could become a key player for your team. More of a defensive central midfielder he gives O’Connor and Collins more freedom to get forward. His contract expires in 2012; I would suggest extending it by another year.

Michael O’Connor: Could be the playmaker of the side alongside Michael Collins. He is a good player and like Togwell his contract expires in 2012. I would again look at extending his contract by an extra year.

Michael Collins: The new signing from Huddersfield is a good one and he is fairly equal to O’Connor in attacking ability. If you were to play both of this in the same team it would be ideal if you play Togwell to.

Josh Wright: Another good central midfielder that you have at your disposal. He seems to be more of a support player as he has a good creativity attribute. His contract expires in 2011. I would suggest extending his contract until 2015.

Transfer Targets: Brahim Hemdani, Anderson Silva, Gavin McCann.

I would look at buying another central midfielder or two as it will bolster your squad.

Strikers

Chris Dagnall: Currently the best striker at the club. Although he is an ok striker I wouldn’t see him as anything more than back up.

Jonathan Forte: Forte isn’t really anything special and would struggle to be a useful back up. I would look to sell him straight away.

Youth Prospects: Adam Boyes, Paris Cowan-Hall, Matt Godden, Aron Wint.

Transfer Targets: Omar Koroma, Steve Howard, Wilfried Niflore, Febian Brandy

The strikers that you have at your disposal currently aren’t the best. The fact that you only have two senior strikers and three youth strikers, I reckon that this position at the club needs strengthening a lot. I would look to loan out the three youngsters.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Am in Early December 2010, and currently lie 6th in the Championship - loving it!

Invested in both Aaron McClean and Craig Mackail-Smith from Peterbrough - paid c.£800k each (paid over 4 years), Henri Munzeyama (50k) and added Gai Assulin (free), Jay DeMerit (free - awesome signing!), Sean Thornton (free), Matt Hill (free), Jonjo Shelvey (loan), Tom Soares (loan), Josh McEachren (loan).

Going nicely, and looking to bolster my ranks in January for a shock playoff push.

Can't recommend DeMerit enough - fantastic leader!

GK: Murphy

RB: wright

LB: Hall

CB: Jones

CB: DeMerit (capt)

RM: Thompson

CM: Shelvey

CM: Connor

LM: Assulin

CF: McClean

CF: Mackail Smith

Am in Early December 2010, and currently lie 6th in the Championship - loving it!

Invested in both Aaron McClean and Craig Mackail-Smith from Peterbrough - paid c.£800k each (paid over 4 years), Henri Munzeyama (50k) and added Gai Assulin (free), Jay DeMerit (free - awesome signing!), Sean Thornton (free), Matt Hill (free), Jonjo Shelvey (loan), Tom Soares (loan), Josh McEachren (loan).

Going nicely, and looking to bolster my ranks in January for a shock playoff push.

Can't recommend DeMerit enough - fantastic leader!

GK: Murphy

RB: wright

LB: Hall

CB: Jones

CB: DeMerit (capt)

RM: Thompson

CM: Shelvey

CM: Connor

LM: Assulin

CF: McClean

CF: Mackail Smith

I had a good game with Scunny, I got them promoted, before leaving in Jan 2012, I only won 3 games, but one of them was a famous win against league leaders Man utd

..mid-February and are now 2nd following a 9 game unbeaten run!

Signed a Brazilian defender called "Fred" from Fortulaza for £400,000.00 who looks very useful after 3 games . Also signed Zavron Hines (West Ham) who has bagged 8 in 14 and Szecelny (Arsenal) on 3 mth loans in November to keep me going, and both have been imperious. Unfortunately they have to return now, and I've used up all my short-term loan deals so now need to see it through to gain promotion!.

Archived