Football manager classic

Ok. So as a loyal customer I bought 09 well before christmas, but can't get into it. Took me a while to get into 08 too, but eventually got one of my longest running games going on it. However, I don't look back on last years effort anywhere near as fondly as previous games.

On these forums (and I fully realise this is only a small representation of fans/buyers of these games) you often see people refering all misty-eyed about previous versions, in particular around the 00/01 era.

As I understand it, there are unofficial sites where you can update the databases for these games, and also the much older versions from the amiga can be downloaded for free. Thats cool, but how many people know about how or where to do this, or that they even can? I didn't until by chance saw a comment on these forums. Plus not sure they would install/work on my computer anymore.

If sega/SI released a 'classic' football manager game, maybe based on the old championship manager 00/01 or 01/02, but obviously updated with present players, maybe taking into account new rules and regulations, and inflation. But general staying true to the older versions, avoiding clashing with the new version, which, with its fancy bells and whistles is going in a direction i don't really want to follow.

I don't know if there would be copyright issues, and certainly it can't be called chapionship manager, but SI still own the content, just not the name. Is that right?

You get platinum games for the playstation, and so on, but this is a little different, as its updated with todays data, but with the old classic favourite interface and so on. Would be sold at a discount price.

Maybe it would work, maybe not. its just an idea, I'm not asking development to stop for FM10 or anything, just update the data and rules on an old game. Could maybe be a nice little earner as I think lots of Fm gamers are older than the normal gamer you find across the board, and would appreciate older games more.

I tried to get into CM01/02 after all the praise, but I just can't stand the interface - the attributes are hard to read through seeing as they're just alphabetically sorted, not categorized. And also, what's with the stupid transfer bid selection? It's so sensitive!

I'll stick with FM09 for now ;)

Archived