Managing in Russia!!!!

I posted this thread just before Xmas looking for ideas where to manage next.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=84010

Finally decided on Russia, so looking for some advice from ppl on here who have managed there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_football

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Premier_League

These wiki articles on Russian League how accurate is the article, and is the FM version of the Russian league also accurate?

Is it a fun league, which teams are best/worst, who's rich & who's not and are all the Moscow derbies an issue?

Any help would be welcome, thanks in advance.

for your own sake I suggest you choose one of the clubs outside Moscow elite and Zenit, like Amkar, they have a very good midfield duo (Dujmovic & Drincic) because otherwise if you are a good manager you'll establish a firm dominance in the league in a few seasons with a good club like I have in my Dnipro (Ukraine) game, I have won every domestic cup for the past 5 seasons ( and the league for 7 seasons, soon 8) and I even can't stop winning when I play my 2nd string team vs Shakhtar & Dynamo only thing keeping me playing is my aspirations for European coefficents table & financial rankings and detest of going through the hassle of starting a new game, with smaller clubs you'll probably eventually start dominating the league too but you'll cherish it more :)

and for tips I suggest you go after Russian youth very early because eventually you can have only 5 foreigners in your starting XI because if a player has atleast 1 senior cap for his country he won't take the Russian nationality saying : "sees no benefit", annoying as hell and I hope SI really fix that, maybe if you pick up some Brazilians & Argentines you'll have a chance them taking the nationality because for them getting to national team is very hard and I can give list of cheap Eastern-European talent to sign

for your own sake I suggest you choose one of the clubs outside Moscow elite and Zenit, like Amkar, they have a very good midfield duo (Dujmovic & Drincic) because otherwise if you are a good manager you'll establish a firm dominance in the league in a few seasons with a good club like I have in my Dnipro (Ukraine) game, I have won every domestic cup for the past 5 seasons ( and the league for 7 seasons, soon 8) and I even can't stop winning when I play my 2nd string team vs Shakhtar & Dynamo only thing keeping me playing is my aspirations for European coefficents table & financial rankings and detest of going through the hassle of starting a new game, with smaller clubs you'll probably eventually start dominating the league too but you'll cherish it more :)

and for tips I suggest you go after Russian youth very early because eventually you can have only 5 foreigners in your starting XI because if a player has atleast 1 senior cap for his country he won't take the Russian nationality saying : "sees no benefit", annoying as hell and I hope SI really fix that, maybe if you pick up some Brazilians & Argentines you'll have a chance them taking the nationality because for them getting to national team is very hard and I can give list of cheap Eastern-European talent to sign

Thanks for the info. Can you please explain/go into more detail regarding the '5 foreigners' rule you mentioned?

Do I have to have 6 Russians in my starting XI ? What about subs/squad etc ? Are there any limits there or on amount of foreigners you can sign?

As for which team to manage.....I'm thinking.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Rubin_Kazan

What do you think?

How are they finances/player wise?

Do you think it would be a good job to go for?

You can have up to five foreigners in your starting eleven, and you can bring more foreigners on as subs as long as you only have five on the pitch at any one time.

Rubin are current Russian champions. They are not traditionally a big club, but they are doing well recently and have a decent amount of money.

I would recommend starting with one of the worst teams in the First Division (2nd tier) for a challenge. It is a 22 team league with seven relegation places in the first season. Volga Uljanovsk or Zvezda Irkutsk would be a good challenge.

I would say Rubin - they are current champions, and it would be fun in the Champions league, and trying to retain your title.

No offence, but I don't think you can do it(seems like it'd take a LOT of work, and inch-perfect tactics), which adds to the excitement.

You can have up to five foreigners in your starting eleven, and you can bring more foreigners on as subs as long as you only have five on the pitch at any one time.

Rubin are current Russian champions. They are not traditionally a big club, but they are doing well recently and have a decent amount of money.

I would recommend starting with one of the worst teams in the First Division (2nd tier) for a challenge. It is a 22 team league with seven relegation places in the first season. Volga Uljanovsk or Zvezda Irkutsk would be a good challenge.

If you read the link in my OP you will see that I'm not particularly into LLM so if I went there I would probably be looking at the Russian equivalent of say an Everton or Villa i.e. a top division side outside the big four.

How many teams are there in the Russian Premier who are Moscow based?

Could someone please give me a quick rundown on them, strengths and weaknesses etc.

When you're choosing a team on the Create a Manager screen, it will give you a media estimation of what league place they are likely to finish at. Choose the team who are supposed to finish 8th and go from there :) if they are too good or not good enough then just restart and choose the team above/below them.

There is CSKA Moscow, Lokomotiv Moscow, Spartak Moscow, Dinamo Moscow, and FC Moscow. Torpedo Moscow will probably get promoted there at some point too. I believe Saturn are based near Moscow, but I'm not exactly sure about that.

If you want an Everton or Villa type team then Dinamo would probably be a good fit. So would Amkar or Krylja Sovetov. Here is last season's final table to give you and idea: http://soccerway.com/national/russia/

Archived