Champions League

Okay here's the story. I'm playing Tottenham and I finished 4th in the league. That means I qualified for the Champions League. However, that is not the case. I had to play in the UEFA Cup...what's wrong??? Oh ya, I've won the UEFA Cup the previous season..but that doesn't mean I have to defend the title right? Zenit St Petersburg won the UEFA Cup and played in the UCL the next season IRL! Any explanation here?

Indeed..they finished 5th. But I thought Liverpool won the Champions League and finished 5th before? Everton did play in the qualifications rounds.

Yeah they changed the rule after that as they did not want 5 teams from the same country competing in it again. Now the winners take the place of the 4th team.

Hard luck though for you not qualifying.

I thought the rule had changed the other way so the top 4 qualified no matter what?

No, cuz the winner is always guaranteed a place in the next year's competition, that's why it caused such a furore when Liverpool won it, cuz normally the team who win it, qualify by normal means anyway and, like jod says, UEFA didn't like 5 teams from one country being in the competition so this was the only way around it really, bit harsh on any team that misses out cuz of it but them's the breaks

Archived