Suggestions for Tactical Interface

I have a few ideas with regard to the tactical interface, which at the moment, while it does the job, I feel it could be made simpler to use. Rather than just make a half-arsed suggestion I thought I'd put a bit of work into it.

The Interface

As you can see from my visual mock up, I think if the whole system could be seen 'at a glance' then it would make it much easier to spot where improvements could be made.

On this image (I made in Photoshop) I have shown the defenders as two examples of how the tactical 'ring' would display the player instructions, a highlighted version for the 'selected' player, and the softened down version for all other players (I only put one player on the softened version in this example but all players instructions would be seen).

th_tacticlowres.jpg

Changing Player Instructions

I would suggest, for ease of use, and for peoples' individual preferences, several ways of being able to change a players individual instructions.

1. Click the (for example) passing icon on the player instruction ring to cycle through the options.

2. Click one of the bottom icons to 'load up' the mouse with an instruction to then drop into any player you like (right click resets mouse).

3. Click the instruction on the right hand panel to cycle through options.

4. Use the drop down menu on the right hand panel to select an option.

5. Right click any ring icon to either set to 'team' or to remove (eg removing player as playmaker).

Key Players

I'm sure that quite a few other players find the system for setting key players up a little frustrating. You need to be on the squad screen to view your teams attributes (eg for penalty taking), then you have to move the tactic screen to implement the players, where you can't see the attributes any more. Now I've gotten round this by setting my first choice as goalie, 2nd as right back etc, so they are in order on the tactic screen, but it's a little silly having to do that.

My suggestion would be to set the key players on the squad screen by simply having a 'key player' filter (with sub filters) and simply dragging players into it as you currently do on the tactic screen. Then, the tactic screen simply gives the information on who is doing what either on the currently selected players (ie if first two choice penalty takers not in the team, then it will automatically state who will take the penalties today.

Captains Choice

I would like to see a 'captains choice' option for certain areas. If I have a good captain, I would like him to decide if my centre back comes forward for a set piece or whether he should stay back (or at least the option of deciding that on the player instructions). I would also like to have the choice of leaving it up to him who takes free kicks, corners, DFK's IFK's etc.

First Choice

I would like to be able to set a first choice in position. EG If I have 2 x DRC's, I would like to be able to choose who is my preferred player in the right back position. Also, if I have a 4-4-2 as shown, the player instructions for the right of the two central midfielders might be more attack minded and the other one more defence minded, so I would like to have a preferred player for that reason. This is mainly so the assman doesn't pick the wrong player for the wrong position (I usually ask him to pick the team before I look over his choice and make changes).

Tactics and Versions

I would like there to be a subfolder for each tactic so we can set the same tactic, but a defensive/offensive etc version. Or, a home and away version, or whatever people want. Then to change tactics you can either click to cycle, or use the drop down.

Feedback/suggestions welcome. Quite happy to add/remove stuff on the screenshot for people.

Hehe, I wondered who'd notice my choice of players :D

Yeh, I started off designing a skin, then it sort of grew out of hand and ideas I had just found their way on there. Aside from the actual look of it, what do you think of the ideas, such as the key player deal and captains choice etc?

Archived