Argel's game won't load, which kind soul will help him?

screen1.jpg

I get that every time I open the game. It's fine the first time after install, then will not open. No viruses or anything. 2gig ram, AMD3000+, ATI 9800.

Whoever helps me will go down in the annals of history. I haven't bought FM since 2005, so I can safely say we're not off to a great start.

• SI Staff

It seems to be a problem with Athlon processors that affects it running a lot of PC games - a google search for the error code found this post on a WoW forum - http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=2215493724&sid=1

"I use to have that very same problem for years, just recently I now no longer have that problem, and have been playing error free for weeks. What did I do?

I updated the driver for my CPU by going to the manufacturer website and downloaded the most relevant file I can find.

My CPU: AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core

File downloaded: AMD Dual-Core Optimizer Version 1.1.4 - The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer can help improve some PC gaming video performance by compensating for those applications that bypass the Windows API for timing by directly using the RDTSC (Read Time Stamp Counter) instruction. Applications that rely on RDTSC do not benefit from the logic in the operating system to properly account for the affect of power management mechanisms on the rate at which a processor core's Time Stamp Counter (TSC) is incremented. The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer helps to correct the resulting video performance effects or other incorrect timing effects that these applications may experience on dual-core processor systems, by periodically adjusting the core time-stamp-counters, so that they are synchronized.

It may be a combination of another update i did also. I updated the bios on my motherboard not long ago before that, but that didn't seem to solve anything for me. Though I wouldn't exclude that possibility since motherboard/cpu functions are closely intertwined within another.

Since then i've been playing error free. I use to have to leave my client on for weeks on end in the background if I wanted to play, and then reinstall the client once it degrades from weeks of being on in the background like that.

Oh, and i've also tried the suggestions of downloading all those Anti-Virus softs suggested from the admins to no avail. Turns out it wasn't a virus for me, but an outdated way my CPU was executing the instructions given to it.

Hope this helps out many others out there as well. "

I'm going to update my processor driver first.

OK, fair enough, that definitely seems like a sensible option. I gather that a few people seem to think that this is the result of a virus. Personally, I'm not convinced, though. I'd also update the .Net Framework as that could help though.

Ok, sorted, many thanks.

It was a virus (obviously) that was shutting down .exe files randomly. I will try Rome TW later to check whether it was the main source of that particular problem, but it was 100% affecting FM. It actually made sure you couldn't install any new AV software or run any that was already installed. After being unable to boot in safe mode, I stumbled across the terribly titled 'superantispyware' which had a free function to let me boot in safe mode, get loads of AV stuff installed, then reboot. Unfortunately, even after a long pre-windows scan by Avast, it was still there and stopping a proper scan from taking place.

I then realised that by chance, superantispyware was still running, and that it would let me do a scan. 942 cleaned objects later, and we're on a winner. The main problems were the 50+ trojans, the rest were all cookies.

So yeah, all gone now, and if other people have this issue, point them this way, as when I searched, I found there were quite a few people who hadn't managed to get this fixed.

Archived