Steam Automatically Updating Even Though Latest Patch Is Installed

This has been posted earlier, but was simply answered by a mod with a link to the changes that patch 9.1.0 made. I am sure he was asking the same question I am. Which is why did Steam update my game even though it did not need updating, and in the process overwrite the changes I had made to some of the .lnc files? So this was in fact not an update to an update, but merely overwrote my 9.1.0 with 9.1.0 with the same files and data?

Unless in fact this was an update to an update?? Which I am sure it was not, as this would then be named 9.1.1 no (or something simular)?

Just would like to make you guys aware, as it can be quite frustrating to have to re-write the .lnc files etc, if I had indeed wanted to start a new game with a greyed out Germany, wrong comp names etc.

Unlike the HUGE amount of moans about the game and STEAM I am in fact a very satisfied customer, and have had STEAM for years anyway so it is not foreign to me (and therefore does not create such hysteria in me as it has others!!). The game itself is quality so far, just hate having things happen to my files without being asked beforehand, as I more often than not I will have modded them in some form!

Would like an explanation, but not essential, just wanted to post this so that others that this had happened to would be aware that it would have overwritten their files back to the original 9.1.0 state. (And no I do not overwrite official databases only the ddt and lnc files).

Thanks

L

I just saw the same thing, I started up Football Manager 2009 from my desktop icon and then a steam box appeared where it said updating Football Manager 2009, it updated very fast and then the game started up.

lol! Sorry probably should have made this clearer. STEAM did not update, I am more than aware of when STEAM updates, but thankyou for for your help.

And as I have already stated it overwrote the files I had modded, and also put back in my /910/lnc/all file both the nleague.lnc and fake.lnc which I had deleted from there. Although possibly these are created every time by the cache? However I promise (100%!! ;) ) that it overwrote my files I had changed in other areas, but again thankyou for posting so quickly, (dont think ive ever seen such quick responses on a forum!!!).

I can assure you 100% that it did indeed re-install the 9.1.0 patch again. And I could contact STEAM, however the first place most people will look if the same thing happens to them is here, so it made sense to post it here so that others could be made aware in case they were not aware that it overwrites any of their hard work, as that is why I posted in the first place.

Thanks

L

Hmm. Then maybe I shouldn't have wasted peoples time? And the mods? Hmmm feeling a bit guilty now! Oh well was trying to help, lol probably just ended up clogging the forum with needless waste!! lol!! But it definately overwrote my edt files and lnc files, which odd, unless something else did....I'll wait and see the response, or for it to be closed!!! lol!! Have they at least posted that info somewhere so there arent 50,000 posts the same as this one? That would make sense to me, so as I and 100's others dont waste peoples time!!

L

Hmm. Then maybe I shouldn't have wasted peoples time? And the mods? Hmmm feeling a bit guilty now! Oh well was trying to help, lol probably just ended up clogging the forum with needless waste!! lol!! But it definately overwrote my edt files and lnc files, which odd, unless something else did....I'll wait and see the response, or for it to be closed!!! lol!! Have they at least posted that info somewhere so there arent 50,000 posts the same as this one? That would make sense to me, so as I and 100's others dont waste peoples time!!

L

Isn't it better just to contact Steam if people are that concerned since it was Steam who updated people's games? Thank god i dont use Steam. :)

Mine just got updated too and I confirm that it was not a steam update but a Fm09 update, which indeed overwrote the update 9.0.1 files.

Maybe we should get an explanation/clarification from SI before threads like this get closed?

it wasnt a steam update, steam updates when it's opened, this did it when the game was launched, it did it to mine as well and steam will do it automatically because it gives automatic updates without downloading the update patch when installed with steam, but no noticeable differences, so maybe it is an update to an update? deffo need a real SI explanation though

Archived