Do players actually listen to you?? Players standing around!!! Sooo frustrating!!

Opposition Instructions on Brett Emerton.. Always close down and Always show onto weaker foot. All bleeding game he runs down the wing to the byline and puts cracking crosses in!!!!

Is it down to a decision making rating of 10 on my left back??

Also SI please sort this out.

Blackburn get a penalty. Derbyshire takes it, Green parries it and my players standing 5 yards behind the penalty area stand there. A severe delayed reaction as 4 Blackburn players react quicker and put in the rebound whilst Green lies on the floor!!

Now you can't say it's my tactics as there is no pesky option to ask your players to "Pay attention at penalties!!!"

Opposition Instructions on Brett Emerton.. Always close down and Always show onto weaker foot. All bleeding game he runs down the wing to the byline and puts cracking crosses in!!!!

Is it down to a decision making rating of 10 on my left back??

Hmm, let's see:

1. Left back, what are his Forward Runs and Mentality settings? (FwR Rarely is what I might use). Is Emerton slipping in behind him because he's venturing forward? Does he have a PPM like "Likes to Get Forward whenever possible"?

2. Does Emerton have better Acceleration and Pace than your left back? How about better Off The Ball to your guy's Marking?

3. Does your guy have a PPM like "Does not dive into tackles" or "Stands off player"?

4. Is Emerton's "weaker foot" actually his left? If so, your fullback may be "showing him" the outside run .. if that's the case, and Emerton's right foot is good enough to hit crosses, no wonder he's getting success.

5. I tend to see "Show Onto" and "Closing Down Always" as contradicting instructions; I prefer to either take away one foot, or to close down as quickly as possible.

6. To truly shut down an opposition winger, I use two players. My winger on that side, set "Man Marking - Emerton", "Tight Marking - Yes". My fullback on that side, also set "Man Marking - Emerton", but without "Tight Marking". No Opposition Instructions at all. That way, my fullback stays goalside (loose), while my winger tries to get between him and the ball (tight) .. the winger goes for interceptions, while the fullback is there to clean up if he misses. That usually takes a guy completely out of the match .. though of course I'm using two players to do it, so there will be a gap somewhere else.

Blackburn get a penalty. Derbyshire takes it, Green parries it and my players standing 5 yards behind the penalty area stand there. A severe delayed reaction as 4 Blackburn players react quicker and put in the rebound whilst Green lies on the floor!!

Now you can't say it's my tactics as there is no pesky option to ask your players to "Pay attention at penalties!!!"

Concentration.

Morale.

Experience.

Work Rate.

Decisions.

Anticipation.

Mentality.

They're all going to play their part. I've certainly seen players on my side break in after a penalty and clear the rebound; I've had the AI do it to me more often than I care to remember!

Archived