The levels veteran players have to drop to to still be good

I've currently got a save in the icelandic league at the moment, and after last seasons success in the UEFA cup (getting to the second round of qualifying was a huge success) I noticed a lot of players out of clubs who used to be great.

Anyway, I probably have 4 of the best defenders the world has ever seen (10 - 15 years ago) at Right Back I have Cafu, Left Back Maldini, and my two centre backs Aldair and Couto.

In the icelandic league these guys are legendary lol, Aldair at 43 admittedly isn't going to be much of a player anywhere, but he's doing well in iceland, but the others shouldn't be playing football at this level, after several months of playing them in friendlies and on trial they all signed up, but its quite sad to see players who 2 - 3 years ago in the case of cafu & maldini at the top of europe now playing on £550 a week in the Icelandic premiership.

I'm not sure if your title is meant as a question, and whether you're looking for a reply.

For sure, those players will stand out in Iceland (even if unrealistic that they'd go there) due to the relative competition. They wouldn't hack it in a higher rep league and would be floundering in the reserves if they kept playing.

I suspect you'll be found out in a European competition when you're up against nippy younger players.

I also suspect that when their contracts are up they'll go into coaching (does it say that in their personal profiles?), possibly with major European sides. I just got Ole Gunnar as a top coach.

When they signed european football was one of the factors in the news items, and we just got through the second round of eufa cup qualifying after a 5-4 aggregate win against grasshopper, they are all looking to do roles in the game once they retire but because when i signed them I have them on 18 month contracts because of the way the icelandic league is a bit funny like that.

As for the thread, its sort of like anyone who has experienced similar things, Teddy Sheringham is also doing pretty well, 43 almost 44 and he has 15 goals in 30 games in all competitions.

Seems to be quite a few brazillians populating the icelandic league, FH the team leading the league table this season have Serginho icon_eek.gif & some other mid 30's guy Ceisinho or something in their team, looking through the league I have a young brazillian keeper + cafe & aldair.

Iceland is a brazillian retirement home on my game I think...

Archived