League sorting rules

I have a problem here & would like any feedback because maybe I have got something wrong here.

I am Scotland & in my qualifying group for the euro's I am on level points with France, we each have 25 points with same games played. France have 8 goals better on goal difference than me however in our two matches against each other we beat them at home & we drew with them away.

Now to my understanding by the rules of sorting as we had won one & drawn the other with them on the occassion that we are level points should we not be above them??

I'd be greatful for any advice on this as there is one match left in the group & if we both win Scotland will not qualify when I'm sure we deserve to.

Is there a 3rd team also on the same number of points? If so then the results against each other sorting doesn't work because you can have an a > b, b > c and c > a scenario. In that case it reverts to goal difference.

Not quite true. The head to head still takes first preference but it is now basically a league table between the 3 teams with only the results between each other counting.

Well, what I meant was that if Scotland have better head to head vs France, France have better head to head vs Italy and Italy have better head to head vs Scotland then it has to be decided based on goal difference, although you may well be right in terms of that goal difference only being calculated off results involving those 3 teams, I hadn't considered it that carefully ;)

Well, what I meant was that if Scotland have better head to head vs France, France have better head to head vs Italy and Italy have better head to head vs Scotland then it has to be decided based on goal difference, although you may well be right in terms of that goal difference only being calculated off results involving those 3 teams, I hadn't considered it that carefully ;)

Yeah, you're half right. :D

It is easier to explain with an example.

France 1-1 Scotland

Scotland 1-0 France

Italy 2-0 Scotland

Scotland 1-2 Italy

France 3-1 Italy

Italy 1-1 France

Say they're the results. Basically all results involving the other teams are ignored and you calculate each team's points from those games.

Italy have 7

France have 5

Scotland have 4

So goal difference does not matter here and even though Scotland have a better head-to-head against France they would still finish behind them.

Fully understand now? ;):D

Yeah, you're half right. :D

It is easier to explain with an example.

France 1-1 Scotland

Scotland 1-0 France

Italy 2-0 Scotland

Scotland 1-2 Italy

France 3-1 Italy

Italy 1-1 France

Say they're the results. Basically all results involving the other teams are ignored and you calculate each team's points from those games.

Italy have 7

France have 5

Scotland have 4

So goal difference does not matter here and even though Scotland have a better head-to-head against France they would still finish behind them.

Fully understand now?

Ah, yes ;)

Mine was a very specific sub-case of that in which e.g. each team wins the home game so they all have 6 points in the mini-table...not a very useful case :p

well my last match is at home to Italy so Im not too optimistic, but again cheers, I'm away now to see if I can conquer the Italians as the weekend is here. Cheers

There's an additional complication...you've only played Italy once...it's Friday afternoon so I can't be bothered trying to work out how that effects things although if France have played both yourself and Italy twice then they'll have played more games than you both in that mini-table so will quite likely have more points!

Ah, yes ;)

Mine was a very specific sub-case of that in which e.g. each team wins the home game so they all have 6 points in the mini-table...not a very useful case :p

Yeah you were only catering for 1 case. :D

Livihoopsfan, since you haven't played Italy yet it is going to be slightly different. What games have each of you left and what have your results being between each other so far?

Sorry I only just got back to you now jod123

I played Italy and lost 2-1 at home, get this after loosing even though France did not play a fixture I moved one place above them! So it had to be the A,B,C scenario you both were advising me about.

Unfortunately for me France had a game in hand which they won so I ended up loosing by points anyway, but I appreciate the info.

Bring on the world cup qualifiers! :thup:

Sorry I only just got back to you now jod123

I played Italy and lost 2-1 at home, get this after loosing even though France did not play a fixture I moved one place above them! So it had to be the A,B,C scenario you both were advising me about.

Unfortunately for me France had a game in hand which they won so I ended up loosing by points anyway, but I appreciate the info.

Bring on the world cup qualifiers! :thup:

Ok. Better luck next time. :thup::)

Archived