Installing FM 2008 on vista

i installed FM2008 on my laptop which has vista as the O.S

it played once and then the next time i went to play it wouldnt start

so i uninstallled it and then reinstaled it and it wouldnt even install

ive even bought another disk and this also wont install

anyone got any ideas of what i can do to get it working?

(coz im also worried that this will happen when i buy FM2009)

Make sure that you have the latest version of directx and java installed as not having these can sometimes cause problems. You should also make sure that any anti-virus software you have ignores any folders that fm uses as this also can cause problems.

Out of curiosity did you install something else in between playing it the first time and the second time you tried? If you get it installed you should download and install the 8.0.2 patch as soon as possible as this also fixes a lot of problems that you might have.

Whatever you installed in between playing fm the first time and second may be conflicting with fm somehow so perhaps you should try uninstalling whatever it was the you installed and checking to see if fm works.

Do manual uninstall as outlined in this thread (make sure to do every step including cache files and registry)

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=39303

Now when you go to install FM next do not let it autorun the installation by clicking whichever cancel button or similar that appears first.

Go to My Computer and access the FM disc via right clicking your disc drive and clicking open.

Right click setup.exe and select 'Run as Administrator' and it should install with no problems.

While doing the install untick the option that says 'start the application once installed' or words to that effect.

Also on Vista you apparently need to create your own shortcuts in case that has anything to do with your initial issue with it not starting after working the first time.

Archived