EPL Challenge (The Ultimate Premier League Experience) FM2005 [*Established Clan*]

eplbanner.gif

fmo_white.gif

EPL Challenge (The Ultimate Premier League Experience) Game Thread

Welcome to the Update thread for EPL Challenge.

Once again EPL Challenge's group of ambitious, enthusiastic and skillful managers are going head to head in the latest installment of our series of games in Football Manager 2005.

In this game there will be guaranteed thrills and spills, banter and slagging, trophies galore and sackings aplenty, in-depth manager interviews and of course some literally brilliant nights of virtual football all from the comfort of your chair in front of the PC.

A quality game has been provided by SI and now is the time to enjoy it to the full over the coming winter months.

The important information:

The Game:

The arena is the English Premiership. All current European Champions League Clubs are disqualified at the outset of the game.

The Game Times:

Tuesday 7 - 11pm; Thursday 7 - 11pm; Sunday 7 - 11pm

The Rules (A Must Read):

www.eplchallenge.co.uk/rules.php

The Application Form:

www.eplchallenge.co.uk/apply.php

Tips For Online Beginners:

http://www.eplchallenge.co.uk/tips.php

EPL Challenge Gaffers FM2005

Mark Smallwood - Aston Villa

Richard Liggins - Middlesbrough

Andy Nilsen - Portsmouth

David Pagi - Bolton

Niall Murphy - Everton

Jay DaCosta - Newcastle United

Sam Bouchard - Tottenham Hotspur

Chris Oestrich - Birmingham City

Rick Boult - Blackburn Rovers

Leo Hardy - Manchester City

Chris Morris - West Bromwich Albion

Matt Tully - Southampton

Although this game is based in the English Premier League, I can assure you there is one subtle difference between the English Premiership and EPL Challenge.

In our case, you can certainly believe the hype.

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

eplbanner.gif

fmo_white.gif

EPL Challenge (The Ultimate Premier League Experience) Game Thread

Welcome to the Update thread for EPL Challenge.

Once again EPL Challenge's group of ambitious, enthusiastic and skillful managers are going head to head in the latest installment of our series of games in Football Manager 2005.

In this game there will be guaranteed thrills and spills, banter and slagging, trophies galore and sackings aplenty, in-depth manager interviews and of course some literally brilliant nights of virtual football all from the comfort of your chair in front of the PC.

A quality game has been provided by SI and now is the time to enjoy it to the full over the coming winter months.

The important information:

The Game:

The arena is the English Premiership. All current European Champions League Clubs are disqualified at the outset of the game.

The Game Times:

Tuesday 7 - 11pm; Thursday 7 - 11pm; Sunday 7 - 11pm

The Rules (A Must Read):

www.eplchallenge.co.uk/rules.php

The Application Form:

www.eplchallenge.co.uk/apply.php

Tips For Online Beginners:

http://www.eplchallenge.co.uk/tips.php

EPL Challenge Gaffers FM2005

Mark Smallwood - Aston Villa

Richard Liggins - Middlesbrough

Andy Nilsen - Portsmouth

David Pagi - Bolton

Niall Murphy - Everton

Jay DaCosta - Newcastle United

Sam Bouchard - Tottenham Hotspur

Chris Oestrich - Birmingham City

Rick Boult - Blackburn Rovers

Leo Hardy - Manchester City

Chris Morris - West Bromwich Albion

Matt Tully - Southampton

Although this game is based in the English Premier League, I can assure you there is one subtle difference between the English Premiership and EPL Challenge.

In our case, you can certainly believe the hype.

everton.gif

Shock appointment at Goodison Park as the 2004/05 English Football Season Approaches.

Distraught supporters of English Premier League side, Everton, rushed to their local newspaper stands this morning attempting to uncover the full story behind the news leaked from Goodison Park last night, which completely stunned the blue half of the city of Liverpool and will undoubtedly cause shockwaves and panic throughout the English Premiership.

David Moyes, the young, bright and ambitious Scottish manager who had been at the helm for two full seasons unexpectedly resigned his position - in protest at the recent sale of young England star, Wayne Rooney, to FA Cup holders Manchester United. The not so small matter of a huge transfer fee as compensation wasn't enough to placate Moyes, who considered the sale a further chapter in a long story of underachievement, lack of ambition and financial hardship.

Disaffection amongst Everton fans is currently at its highest levels for some considerable time at the club who were last crowned English Football Champions nineteen years ago, in 1985. To put this into perspective, the last time Everton were the top team in England, the brilliant Back To The Future was the main flick in the cinemas, long running soap nonsense Neighbours had just begun to premiere in Australia, Madonna was number one in the charts with the ludicrous "Like A Virgin", and Mickey Mouse took a trip to China for the first time. icon_wink.gif

This disaffection was not eased in the slightest when at 5pm today, Everton chairman Bill Kenwright announced live on Sky Sports News that Moyes' successor would be young Irish manager, Niall Murphy, untested and unproven at any level of football. "Murphy who, eh, eh?" was the common theme amongst supporters at the ground this afternoon.

Indeed, the Everton supporters club offered the following statement just after the shock announcement.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Although we wish Murphy every success at Goodison Park and will give him our full support for however long he is in charge of the club, we would not be being honest if we didn't say that we are very disappointed with this appointment. The question we ask is, what exactly does Murphy know about football? He probably should have cut his teeth in management at a lower level, rather than taking on what is one of the hardest jobs in the Premiership here at Everton. We remain to be convinced that this move is in the best interests of the club and will be seeking an immediate meeting with Bill Kenwright to make him aware of the view of the supporters. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As for Murphy himself, well naturally he was thrilled and upbeat at the news and is looking forward to getting stuck into the job.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Obviously, my appointment came as a shock to the Everton supporters. I have to admit that I was surprised myself to be chosen ahead of a raft of other candidates who some feel are better suited to the challenge than me. But come on, what has Hoddle or Strachan ever won?

I have a message for all the doubters and indeed the rest of the managers in the English Premiership. Murphy is here and Murphy is here to stay. I'm here for only one reason and that is to bring the glory days back to Everton Football Club. This club is a sleeping giant and it is time it woke up and smelt the sweet smell of success once again.

From day one, my sole ambition will be to improve all levels of the squad, to use the money that is made available to me to buy the best players we can afford and finally, make Europe aware that the only club in Liverpool worth talking about is Everton and not that mob that play in red down the road. Mark my words, under my tenure we will get used to silverware once again and I'm not talking about the cutlery in the canteen. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And off Murphy went to assess his squad. With the likes of Gravesen, Yobo and Kilbane already available to the manager, then who is to say that Everton won't make an immediate impression on this years league campaign. Watch this space.

birmingham.gif

Birmingham Appoint Some Welsh Bloke - Has Brady Gone mad?

Birmingham City today announced that Chris Oestrich will take control of team affairs from Steve Bruce with immediate effect. The decision comes as something as a shock on 2 counts as Bruce is regarded as a young, up and coming football manager - well respected in the world game and with a good track record, and Oestrich is a Risk Manager from Cardiff.

In a press release, Karen Brady explained:-

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Steve has done a fantastic job getting this club into the premiership but we feel that he has taken us as far as we can go. At an emergency board meeting last week we were discussing new radical approaches to achieve success and we have decided to try something new.

The theory we have been working on is known as the 'Winning Attribute No Knowledge' approach which involves taking someone with no experience in one subject, but who has success in another, and getting them to apply their winning attributes to the subject to which they no nothing. This facilitates an open approach to a task with no pre-conceptions or barriers to new methods of success. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Police are believed to have found large quantities of Canabis in the St Andrews plumbing system which may explain some of the bizarre decisions the board have been making of late.

Oestrich is believed to be very pleased with his new role and understands that it will take a lot to win the fans around. he said:-

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I am very pleased with his new role and understands that it will take a lot to win the fans around. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He also stated :-

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I've had a chance to asses the squad and I can see where we need to strengthen. We have a decent squad of defenders but I'll be looking for a strong centre half to complement Upson and Cunningham. The midfield area is quite strong and combative but may require some flair. There are only 6 strikers in the club at all levels so I'll also be looking to add some quality and depth here. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

tottenham.gif

Bouchard Swaps A Mop For The Hotseat

Jacques Santini was sensationally sacked last night after assaulting a cleaner at White Hart Lane. Santini was spotted by Spurs Sporting Director Frank Arnesen inside the main entrance to the club's ground as he swung at the club's head cleaner Sam Bouchard. Santini was hauled back by security guards after Arnesen caught the former French national boss attacking Bouchard.

Frank Arnesen had this to say on the shock news:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>As from 2 hours ago, Jacques Santini was released of his duties as Tottenham Hotspur Manager. He assaulted a man who was just minding his own business doing his job, and this simply isn't acceptable. We as a club need to move forward from last season and with Santini at the helm I thought we had the man to take us there, but I have been proved wrong. Whilst nterviewing Mr. Bouchard about the incident I got to know him, and I am glad to say that I’ve already found our new manager. This will come as a complete shock to our supporters and to the football world, but I have appointed Mr. Bouchard as Head Coach of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

After hearing the shock announcement surrounding the incident, many believe that Spurs were forced into appointing Bouchard as boss, in fear of him suing the club for millions. Bouchard, who's a 50% owner in the company Claims Direct, has taken the post in agreement to overlook any court case. This has saved Spurs a hell of a lot of money and could well work out in the long run.

Bouchard, who had a 3 year stint as Lincoln City manager, had gone back to his main passion in life that is cleaning. He's worth millions due to his part in Claims Direct, and he's earnt his fair share from the game through a spell at managerial level and an injury cut short playing career, but he still wants more from life. Bouchard took up the job as head cleaner at Spurs in the summer of 2002, with no thoughts of ever becoming the manager. But this afternoon his unforeseen dream has been realised.

Bouchard has the following to say on the matter:-

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>All I ever wanted from this job was to make a bit of money and to unwind from the stress and strain of my life in years gone by, and I achieved that. This unfortunate incident has rewarded me with something that I’d never expected, but that I’m greatly looking forward to. I love football, and to get the chance to manage at this high a level is marvelous. I must thank Tottenham's Board for acting so quickly on the matter, and I hope we can put this all behind us and bring a bright and hopeful future to White Hart Lane. I too would like to use Chris Oestrich's theory, ****, in our approach to the game. On a final note I’d like to thank supporters for their concern with their cards and flowers, but I’m on the road to recovery,

and now that I’m in charge at Spurs, so are they. Thank you <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

mancity.gif

Manchester City shock the country with appointment of new manager.

Manchester City have appointed unknown manager, Leo Hardy, to take control of the team in an ambitious attempt to turn the clubs fortunes around and make a top-half finish within two to three seasons. Hardy has big plans for the team. In a press conference in the City of Manchester Stadium, Leo Hardy said:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I have mixed feelings about getting this job. Of course I'm excited and delighted to get the job, but I'm also feeling very cautious and nervous about talking on such a big club.

I have big plans for this club as I hope to give the blue half of Manchester the taste of some cup glory for the first time since winning the League Cup in 1976. I also hope to get the team in Europe within a couple of seasons. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some people may think that this young, unheard of manager is a bit over-ambitious and unrealistic, but some fans are happy with the appointment, thinking his ambition will drive the team to glory. However, this decision to appoint Hardy hasn't gone down too well with most City fans who feel massively let down by the board and Chairman, John Wardle.

When the final question was put to Hardy, asking what he thought of his current squad and what he was looking to do with it, he replied:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I’ve had a little time to assess my squad and I think it shows great potential. I have a decent goalkeeper selection in David James and Ronald Waterreus, a good, solid defence which will be lead by Distin, a very good midfield which includes Claudio Reyna, Sinclair, Bosvelt, Wright-Phillips and McManaman. I will be looking to strengthen this area further. The strikers are good, but there certainly isn’t enough of them, I will definitely need to add to this area. Anelka should be a real threat. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

After this response from Hardy, it looks like Man City could cause an upset or two and are a team to look out for.

westbrom.gif

WBA: New Guy In Town!

West Brom today proudly announced the man who will supposable do the impossible and keep WBA in the premier league. Its the job no one wanted to touch: "they have no money", "they have rubbish players" people cried, but one brave man has decided to ignore such opinions and tackle these issues head on!

Literally tens of fans flocked outside the Hawthorns to see who this mystery figure actually is. Names were being whispered throughout the crowd and a group of fans began chanting the name of Radio One funny man Chris Moyles. They felt a bit silly to say the least when it was discovered the new managers name is actually Chris Morris.

Little is known about this young attractive man, his professional career was cruelly cut short at the age of 12, but he has extensive knowledge of management from playing championship manager. He is also infamous for being tight, and has many ways to avoid buying a round. This careful money management will prove extremely useful whist taking charge of such a poor, poor club. But will this be enough? will he succeed or fail? or will he regret being stupid and not going someone else? only time will tell.....

middlesborough.gif

Mclaren replaced by rookie

Steve McLaren sensationally resigned as Middlesboro boss today, after a local newspaper reported that he was a whining, dull ginger bas*ard. Even more sensational was the appointment of his successor, rookie Richard Liggins, plucked from playing non-league football at a very poor level to being asked to lead a club with huge potential. Boro fans were understandably annoyed by the appointment, but Liggins had the following to say to ease their worries:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Don't worry <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He added:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The club is in good shape, and I'm confident that I can help Boro build on the success and progress of recent years. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Time will tell

eplbanner.gif

Some quality introductions here so far lads. Well done. Especially liked that dig at Smallwood on the WBA job Chris, that's what we want to see. Down with the Villa. icon_wink.gif Nice Midlands rivalry building here.

I'm going to put an, overdue, latest clan news page on the website over the weekend, as judging by my inbox you are all wondering about a start date.

Latest news on the GQ forum is that SI are definitely releasing a patch but apparently are not going to rush one out this time. In other words no date has been announced on the patch.

As not everybody has the game yet there is no immediate rush. I'm hoping the patch will be out soon (next week) and if so we'll KO on the first clan night after the patch.

Until then, keep checking the website for news and we look forward to Pagi, Mark, Goat, Tully, Rick and Jay finally giving us an introduction to their new teams.

Slainte

Niall

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EmmYouEffSee:

_Bouchard Swaps A Mop For The Hotseat_

Jacques Santini was sensationally sacked last night after assaulting a cleaner at White Hart Lane. Santini was spotted by Spurs Sporting Director Frank Arnesen inside the main entrance to the club's ground as he swung at the club's head cleaner Sam Bouchard. Santini was hauled back by security guards after Arnesen caught the former French national boss attacking Bouchard.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now with recent news you have to wonder how far off the truth that news actually was icon_wink.gif

astonvilla.gif

Deadly Doug strikes again

Doug Ellis has announced that in recent Aston Villa tradition they are to sack David O’Leary even though he has done nothing wrong bar ask for a new contract.

Aston Villa fans are said to be distraught with no managers available, except Houllier and Hoddle but they are sh*te. Other managers to drop via names into the hat were Niall Muprhy and Andy Nilsen before they joined Everton and Portsmouth respectively.

The board announced have announced the following

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

We have cast our net far and wide and eventually decided to go with Mark Smallwood who in previous lifetimes has taken Newcastle back to the top. With a reputation as someone who invests in cheap youth players the Aston Villa board are glad to have someone of this calibre aboard to increase the board’s wages, sorry we mean to bring success and good quality players to Aston Villa. We expect to have be placed in the top half of the table with more money in our back pocket, sorry scrap the last bit.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On hearing the news the fans weren’t too happy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Who is he? He better do a good job otherwise he’ll be out of here after about 15 games like Paul Sturrock. Where do I want AV to be after 15 games? Top of the table and top of the champions league. ….. Yes I know they aren’t in the CL but I still expect them to win it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The new manager was unconcerned, stating that he would try and generate some more income for the board’s mistresses and that the fans should have realistic expectations.

newcastle.gif

Has sheppard gone mad!!!

Oh my god, has Freddy Sheppard lost his marbles?

This is the question all Newcastle Fans are asking now as Newcastle confirms the appointment of rookie Gordie JDC to replace Mr Souness. Souness, who was last seen punching JDC, is not available for comment but it is thought that he is a little upset, after all he has not even been in charge of a game yet!!!

So Newcastle face the 3rd manager in a season – before it has even kicked off.

Hope they know what they are doing.

Ok, I don't want to be harsh in singling one person out but I'm expecting better quality and a bit more effort than that last post, which must have taken all of oh, 2 minutes? icon13.gif

Otherwise I'll be looking for fresh faces with a bit of enthusiasm.

And no, I'm not wearing my nicorette patch at the minute. icon_wink.gif

blackburn.gif

*** Sparky Jailed For 9 Years***

After recently taking over the hot seat at Ewood Park, Mark Hughes had been widely recognised as a man on a mission to rid the stereotype of, you know, doing rude stuff with sheep. Things seen to have been going well for the Wrexham born lad until being recently spotted in surrounding fields at his home with a prized winning sheep who cannot be named for legal reasons. Police have been looking into the case and have this morning charged Hughes with gross negligence towards animals. He had this to say...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> 'Back in my country, this sort of thing happens all the time. I feel hard done by as i thought it was love this time, it wasn't purely just for the sex, she told me she loved me.' <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sources at Ewood Park have then confirmed to this journalist that the sheep, and his owner Rick Boult had been offered the key to the City. Boult is then known to have had further discussion with the board who, after some consideration, then gave in to his demands to let him run the football club. The yorkshire born, 3 time winner of 'shepherd of the year' award and known for his national tiddywink championship winning performance back in 1979 had this to say.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> '****** was a good sheep, always has been, always will be. I can only deny the claims of Mr Hughes which state she said she loved him. This is a blatent case of these welsh folk moving to OUR cities and taking advantage of OUR sheep. ****** felt very violated, and believed the key to the City was not enough. We came to the conclusion with would both fill my dreams of becoming once again involved in sport, as well as ******'s dream of cutting the grass at Ewood Park. I have little knowledge of the Premiership as electricity on my field is at a minimal. However, highlights have been seen whilst walking my sheepdog and Dickov is it, looks like he needs straightening out, disgusting player. After that, contacts such as Niall Murphy may come in handy, due to him being my coach whilst winning the national tiddlywinks tournament back in 1979.' <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One things for sure, thing may turn pretty baaaaaaaaaaaad down at Ewood Park this season

*** Boult Laugh's Of Birminham Warning ***

In the wake of Birmingham City manager, Chris Oestrich's recent outburt, Boult has once again stepped out into the public and issued this response...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Who are You??

I mean seriously, i've been the best tiddlywinks player this countries ever seen yet your coming out and criticising me and my way of thinking. I think your better change your attitude sunshine or you may get your commupance <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Boult went on to talk about how Blackburn's season was going to end up with the premiership crown but the press noticed the empty bottle of vodka next to his chair and decided to leave. 4 hours later, Boult was found naked and tied to a post at spaghetti junction. This is not the kind of press the new manager needed.

bolton.gif

Pagi and Okocha what a combination icon_wink.gif

Sky Sports News:

It's being reported that Bolton frontman Sam Allardyce has stepped down from his managerial post with immediate effect, citing ill health as the culprut. Apparently Allardyce has suffered major cruciate ligament damage and will be sidelined for twelve months after attempting to pull off the trademark African Raindance Jay Jay Okocha has been known to perform in celebration after a goal.

Sam Allardyce:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It is with great regret that I announce

my resignation, This club will always be close to my heart etc etc...It was a freak accident but these things happen in life, hopefully I will recover and someday manage once again.

I leave the club in a stable position, a talented squad if a little old, a deluxe state of the art stadium and a ready made replacement for my position in my dear friend David Pagi, what a man, what a legend. I have no doubts he will do a splendid job, I have been teaching him all I know about managing a successful football club and he was the guy who suggested drafting in Okocha so he has an eye for a player. I wish him all the best <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

David Pagi:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Big Sam has taken me under his wing and offered me some great advice that i hope to put into practice I've arrived at the Reebok Stadium under unfortunate circumstances, but it's a dream come true. I wish my pal Sam a speedy recovery, I'm sure he'll return to football management sometime in the near future.

Theres a first rate core of playes here, able goalie, decent defence, quality in midfield although I really don't like the look of the forwards, Kevin bloody Davies,jees, Les what am I 42 Ferdinand and Henrik slower than a tortoise Pedersen. Complete clear out I think. Are we on air? what it's live..........oh sh*t <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

portsmouth_180.gif

Pompey strike lucky

Another premiership team appoints a new up and coming manager and this time its Portsmouth who have secured the services of possibly the best young manager ever seen.

At the Press conference…

Mandaric

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> After Redknapp crushed our transfer record on a crap player like Kamara we knew it was time to get rid of the old and bring in the young, with that said I introduce our new manager who has an eye for great bargains and who has got the charm to sell any players for way over there value, I bring you The GOAT, Andy Nilsen! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

(crowd cheers)

Nilsen

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Thank you, thank you

Lets get straight down to business, what I am planning here at Portsmouth will spread fear through the rest of the premiership whether it be our arch rivals Southampton or up north in Newcastle they will all fear the attacking play of the soon to be European Champions!…. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Reporter “European Champions?â€

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> don’t you interrupt me, do you know who I am? I am the saviour of English football, I am the one who will once again bring exciting fast paced football back to the premiership and most importantly of all I am the one who will turn this club into the dominating force in world football. Now you can ask me a question ok.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

(crowd is in stunned silence wondering what Nilsen has been taking)

Reporter - How do you plan to achieve this

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Well first of all I will assess the squad to seek out the weak from the strong and sell those we don’t need asap. Then I will bring in a few new faces to help me achieve my aim of reaching the top 7 and having a good run in both cups. I promise the fans that these players that come in are the next generation of stars that will set the premiershp alight. Next season is the one that will transform this club from a midtable team to the top club in England and then the season after that we will conquer Europe.

O and to all the premiership managers I have one thing to say

BEAT US IF YOU CAN, SURVIVE IF WE LET YOU.

Goodnight all <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

newcastle.gif

We have heard from reliable sources that new Newcastle Manager Gordie JDC has spent the break scouting for new players.

Positions rumoured to require strengthening include midfield, defence and attach, so no existing player can afford to rest on past performances.

Speaking from his home in Manchester, Gordie JDC said ‘My air miles are on the way up, I’ve been to America, Brazil and Russia scouting for the latest talent’.

Good news all round then, let’s hope the Board get the hand in the pockets and back up JDC with a proper transfer budget. The excitement builds.

Lads, the EPL Challenge forum is now available on the website. Feel free to open topics etc and let the s**te talking begin. Rick has already signed up. icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

Muchas gracias goes to Mr Blind for finally doing something worthwhile as a webmaster. icon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

Only kidding, a grand job done Mark. icon14.gif

To view and register just go to the :

EPL Website and click on forums.

We hope to add a bit more to this in the next few days.

eplbanner.gif

The excitement is er, well, sort of waning off a little due to the longevity of the patch issue, but regardless of this setback it will not be long now before the EPL Challenge managers are donning their sheepskin coats once again and nervously treading a path to the one place that will make or break their fragile reputations. Yep it's back to the managerial trench known as The Dugout.

The place where on a good day the 90 minutes will fly by as you take your opponent to the cleaners unless your name is DaCosta. icon_razz.gif

The place where dreams can be realised or cruelly smashed to smithereens.

The place where tactical instructions will be barked out, inspired substitutions made and where time will stand as Pagi modifies his 5-3-2 system for the sixth time. icon_wink.gif

The place from which Murphy intends to plot a European Cup success much to the annoyance of Liggins of Middlesborough. icon_biggrin.gif

And this season, it is also the place where newcomers such as Oestrich, Hardy, Tully and Morris will attempt to build a Premiership reputation for the first time. icon14.gif

So what exactly is the purpose of this posting? Have I just got far too much time on my hands just avoiding any work that is on his plate?

No, the purpose is to stir up a bit of controversy as the host of EPL Challenge turns football manager pundit and gives his best guess on exactly who might do what in season one, 2004/05 in the English Premier League.

Club: Aston Villa

Manager: Mark Smallwood

League: 4th

FA Cup: 4th Round

League Cup: Semi-Final

First up under the microscope is Smallwood’s Aston Villa, the club which was cursed with either rank poor or uncomitted managers in the previous game.

Smallwood’s EPL Challenge claim to fame is his successful tenure at Newcastle United in CM03/04 where he delivered the Championship and the European Cup to the ‘Toon. Critics however grumble that Smallwood was in the right place at the right time and took advantage of Andy Nilsen’s move from Manchester City and Murphy’s lusting after the Arsenal job as a crucial part of this success. icon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

Therefore, Smallwood has a job on at Villa to convince his doubters that he can lead from the start. He inherits a good, balanced squad and if Ellis unleashes the cash, should be the leading human manager in season 1.

Club: Birmingham

Manager: Chris Oestrich

League: 10th

FA Cup: 5th Round

League Cup: QF

Next it is EPL Challenge newcomer Chris Oestrich who inherits an expensively assembled Birmingham. Chris is the clans honorary Welshman and has a hard task on his hands as the last famous Welsh manager in football was? Answers on a postcard please.

Not knowing Chris’ FM ability I’m basing my prediction on the Brum currently having a decent defence and, well, one decent attacker in the squad, plus the pacy Gronjkaer. One to watch.

Club: Blackburn Rovers

Manager: Rick Boult

League: 12th

FA Cup: 4th Round

Rick’s audible groan when he heard the remaining teams available says it all. That he said he was "given" Blackburn and had not selected them, just gives the further impression that all may not be happy in the Blackburn camp – and in Rick’s case I think camp is definitely the right word. icon_wink.gif

Rick who joined EPL Challenge late on in CM03/04 does carry one major string to his bow though, in that he did lead a very poor Wolves side to the FA Cup Final in his first season. Albeit he got relegated the next, but Boult is the first to admit he has something to prove in EPL Challenge. With Rick, the potential is there but can he harness it at what admittedly is a tough task at Ewood Park? Only Emerton and Jansen stand out immediately as players of quality so I reckon Boult has a tough job on his hands here.

Club: Bolton

Manager: David Pagi

League: 13th

FA Cup: 3rd Round

League Cup: 3rd Round

Well Pagi is another manager who’ll be looking to prove himself in the top flight this season. Pagi, an EPL Challenge veteran from as long ago as CM4, initially looked the hottest kid on the block as he took Charlton into the top 5 in his first season. So with CM03/04, Pagi was ranked amongst the hot favourites for success which to my amazement just didn’t quite happen.

The highlights for Pagi were one European Cup Campaign after a 3rd placed finish for the Addicks and a League Cup Final, where he lost courtesy of the managerial decision not to put a reserve keeper on the bench. Apart from that, it was mid table mediocrity all the way, with a relegation in the first season setting the tone.

In FM Pagi has selected a tough job in succeeding Allardyce, who as Pagi has already pointed out, leaves him with an impoverished looking strikeforce. I predict a struggling first season for Pagi, with all eyes on the summer transfer season wheeling and dealings to put him in contention for a top 10 finish. I predict narrow failure. icon_biggrin.gif

Club: Everton

Manager: Niall Murphy

League: 9th

FA Cup: QF

League Cup: 3rd Round

Hard to be impartial when making predictions about yourself, so I’ll leave it to others to comment.

I start the season with a squad which is average at best and at a club where finances will be limited. It’s a tough challenge and if I can get a top 10 finish in an online environment in season one, I’ll be happy with that.

Club: Manchester City

Manager: Leo Hardy

League: 8th

FA Cup: 5th Rnd

League Cup: SF

Another new manager to EPL Challenge is young Leo Hardy who pestered me on MSN daily to get into the Clan. So early signs are of a persistent, confident young manager who could achieve success at City.

The pressure is immediately on Hardy, as Man City are renowned as a leading club in EPL Challenge after Nilsen’s exploits there last season. If Hardy can repeat that success without GPG’ing, he’ll be doing well. The big question as always at the start for Man City will be, will Hardy accommodate or dispatch Nicolas Anelka in building a team?

Club: Middlesborough

Manager: Richard Liggins

League: 5th

FA Cup: SF

League Cup: 4th Round

Yes, regular readers of EPL Challenge news will welcome the return of the Liggins at his old stomping ground down by the Riverside. Liggins is another CM4 participant where he dabbled with the club he supports, Aston Villa before becoming synonymous with Middlesborough in CM03/04.

In the previous game Liggins was renowned for his boring football and his seven man defence, but before our resident student left for the summer, he was approaching top 5 status in the EPL.

For Liggins CM03/04 was largely a tale of undoing the damage done by the previous incumbent who took the club in a downward direction. Liggins’ good job up in the north east was emphasised by the fact that Andy Nilsen almost took them down to Division One when he took on the challenge.

I’m predicting a top 6 finish for Liggins in season one, because on paper the Middlesborough squad is much more dangerous than in previous campaigns. McLaren leaves a good strike force in Hasselbaink and Viduka, a midfield with quality and depth and of course the strong defensive partnership of Ehiogu and Southgate. I’m anticipating Liggins to be battling Smallwood for top EPL human club in season one.

Club: Newcastle United

Manager: Jay Da Costa

League: 7th

League Cup: SF

Jay DaCosta, the veteran of EPL Challenge in the sense he is our oldest manager at the age of 34 has undoubtedly managed to take control of the best club available from the start of the game. Newcastle have a great squad and unlike most of his competitors, DaCosta should see his judgement in the transfer market backed by hard cash from the board.

DaCosta will also join Liggins as the only two members who inherit a club competing in Europe. Therefore the pressure is very much on DaCosta to be top dog this season. However, DaCosta is another with a reputation currently teetering around (some may venture below) unproven in CM03/04.

Previous efforts at Blackburn and Liverpool (although not much time was had here) will require improvement if the Geordies are to keep faith with the old man. We know what they did to Sir Bobby.

Club: Portsmouth

Manager: Andy Nilsen

League: 14th

FA Cup: 5th Rnd

League Cup: 2nd Round

Well Andy Nilsen is back and in his own words, Pompey fans should be thankful and the rest terrified. In typical arrogant style, the Mourinho of EPL Challenge has already predicted Europe in a few seasons. icon_biggrin.gif

Andy, another CM4 vet is famous for building a terrific side at Manchester City in CM0304, although they only ever won the European Cup on one occasion which may be considered an underachievement. icon_wink.gif

Nilsen is the EPL “victim†of the GPG taunts – a tag he denies against what looks indisputable evidence. How will Nilsen cope with the proposed rule change on youths under 17 is currently a very interesting question. In Nilsen’s favour is an impressive record in the transfer market, although tactical ineptitude is a criticism he’ll be looking to put to bed in the coming campaign.

Currently got a lot to prove after a miserable time in the North East, I expect mid table for Pompey in season 1 with gradual improvement to follow. Nilsen is a manager to watch once again.

Club: Southampton

Manager: Matt Tully

League: 15th

FA Cup: 3rd Rnd

League Cup: 4th Round

Matt Tully returns to EPL Challenge after a very brief double stint in CM03/04 so the first ambition will be to see him complete a full season. icon_wink.gif Matt is well known around the GPG forum on SIGAMES so it’s going to be a challenge for him to convert to a pure onliner as well. Or at least, not be as noticeable on the forum as he was before.

Anyway, again hard to call so based on the fact he takes on a relatively reasonable Southampton squad, I predict around mid table, with the future of James Beattie the question on everybody’s lips.

Club: Tottenham Hotspur

Manager: Sam Bouchard

League: 11th

Like Hardy at Manchester City, Sam Bouchard takes control of a traditional powerhouse club in EPL Challenge, which brings with it immediate pressure. Bouchard also joined EPL Challenge in 0304 managing both Aston Villa and Manchester United in his time there with reasonable success. He also carries very heavy baggage in that he is a Man Utd fan at heart, which immediately brings into question his opinions on football.

Having experience of Spurs in CM4 and CM0304 when they began a good side lacking in a few positions, it is hard to know exactly what they will be like in FM05. A lot of new players of little reputation have been added and this may hamper Bouchard’s early ambitions. However, quality is at the managers disposal in Robinson and Defoe so Bouchard may surprise us with cup ssuccess.

Club: WBA

Manager: Chris Morris

League: 17th

FA Cup: 3rd Round

League Cup: 2nd Round

Well what can you say, but I’m going with Mark Smallwood’s opinion that WBA have cr*p players and no money. icon_wink.gif

However, what we don’t know is anything about newcomer Morris’ managerial talents which will be the key to what should be a very tough campaign. As Morris specifically asked for this job, he immediately is to be applauded as a manager who thrives on a challenge.

On this basis, I’ll tip relegation to be narrowly avoided but Morris could prove to be the jewel in EPL Challenge’s crown this season. Or possibly not.

So there you go..no work done for an hour so purpose fulfilled. Hopefully it will be a cracking season. I’m going to tip Chelsea for the title, based on seeing them buy Ronaldinho for £47m in a single game.

Roll on the patch.

newcastle.gif

Gordie JDC hits back

Following stinging criticism of Gordie JDC and his past success, JDC organised a hasty press conference and threw down the challenge to his rivals.

‘To those who question my ability to handle a large club, I say this…. I’d love it if we beat them, just love it…’

When asked if he wanted to comment about being too old, JDC replied ‘maybe but your as old as your feel…..’ at that point he left with his 18 year old assistant. Who knows what he meant with that statement?

• 3 weeks later...

Good news. icon_biggrin.gif

The patch is going to be made available from tomorrow afternoon according to a statement from Marc Duffy on General Questions.

If this goes ahead as planned, I will be downloading the patch tomorrow and opening the game for players to join in the evening to player search and organise tactics.

NB ***It is prohibited to upload shortlists to to the game. Managers must make their own listings from the EPL Challenge generated DB.****

Anyone who would be interested in joining EPL Challenge in the future is welcome to leave contact details on our forum, which is accessible through the website here:Apply To EPL

Please leave details of your age, location, pc specification and a few details about yourself to make us want to approach you first.

Current start date is targeted to be Sunday 9th January.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BelfastNiall:

Bah, my sister bought me FM for Christmas, silly eijit didn't know I already had it. It goes back to the shop tomorrow. icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Donate it to a charity, be festive icon_biggrin.gif

Ok lads, I reckon its about time we got kicking off, I'm dying to see what all the fuss is about. I've sent you all an email regarding a start date, so if you could get back to me on that asap I'd appreciate it.

At the moment I'm setting a start date of Sunday 9th January 7:00pm which I'll change by a day or two if it means all players will be present at the opening session.

With that in mind, I'll set the game up this week and you can enter to search, tactic set etc. Just drop me a line if you want access and we'll arrange a suitable time.

To beat the lag all players will need to untick the following preferences:

show player pics,

show badges/logos

show background pics,

show unique ids.

Lets get the show on the road. icon14.gif

southampton.gif

STEEL APPOINTED BY LOWE

In a shock appointment on the sunny south coast, Rupert Lowe has appointed Rob Steel as successor to Steve "hes a nice man really" Wigley.

It is thought Steve Wigley was not the right person to keep the Saints in the top flight after numerous players were worried by the antics of Mr Wigley, which would include hanging around the showers after the game, throwing the soap on the floor and whipping the players with his towel. Only one player was dissapointed with the decision and that was Graeme Le Saux.

So in steps Rob Steel, untried, untested and is Rupert Lowes 54th manager in just 9 months.

In his first interview, Rob Steel has said he expects this club to easily finish in the top half, with a 5 year plan to get in the Champions League. On being asked on how he is going to do that he replied "Hopefully by then the top 10 clubs from each country will qualify for that competition"

This brought a puzzled response from the media and only time will tell if Rob Steel is the right man for the job! He has the resources, ground and the best youth academy in the premiership, but can he handle the pressure?

On being asked whether he would be strengthening the squad he replied "Of course I will, I havent got much money but I will wheel and deal and bring in some top name players, hopefully"

everton.gif

Murphy gets the blues at cris club Everton

Well after what seemed like an age after I was first offered the job at Everton, I finally got my feet under the desk at Goodison Park, only to discover a club deep in the mire, lurching rapidly towards a financial crisis. A wage bill way above the level of quality at my disposal and at the time of writing a £10m debt which is growing rapidly. The threat of administration is very real and I've had to cut my cloth accordingly.

Players who didn't feature in my plans such as "Pacy" Duncan Disorderly and "Big" Kevin Campbell were taking home a massive (for Everton) £35K a week each. Therefore the first goal was to try and rid myself of both these players. Unfortunately, no one is interested in Campbell but I was hopeful of my first con of the new season, when I received a £100K offer for Ferguson from the new manager at Birmingham, Chris Oestrich. Quickly accepting the offer, I was disappointed to see Oestrich come to his senses when it came to the negotiating table over contracts. icon_wink.gif Ferguson refused the switch and Murphy quickly agreed a mutual termination which cost the club a much needed £600K.

With many of the squad's contracts expiring in 2005, we moved quickly to secure the futures of the key players. Gravesen, Yobo, Zinidine Kilbane and young Leon Osman signed themselves up for Murphy's new era, despite the attentions of Southampton manager Rob Steel in "The Rock", Joesph Yobo. Clearly Yobo knows where he has to be to win trophies. icon_wink.gif

Despite the poor financial position, I was surprisingly given a healthy transfer budget to spend on incoming players. Unfortunately, I am not really in the position to spend it and had to watch as targets Guarin and Bierofka snubbed me in favour of Morris' new regime at West Brom. However, I was delighted with my first signing after a scouting trip to Poland saw Everton capture a striker I consider to be very promising in Maciej Zurawski for £2.5m. If all goes to plan, I expect my new Pole to be amongst the top scorers in the EPL this season and to form a decent attacking partnership with Marcus Bent. The only other addition to the squad at the minute is Kasper Schmeichel, who was surprisingly sold by new City manager Leo Hardy for £250k.

At this stage I'm hoping to offload James McFadden after Bouchard of Spurs did the dirty and withdrew after I agreed to sell and to bring in a few cost effective targets, to help achieve my ambition this season of a top eight finish.

everton.gif

Leo Hardy rides to Murphy's rescue on the eve of the new season 2004/2005

In an amazing late twist to the pre-season, new Manchester City manager Leo Hardy has just become an instant hero on, ahem, the blue half of Merseyside and has staved off the imminent threat of administration for the once mighty Everton. With one swoop that resulted in great delight for Murphy (and the ambitions and reputation of the young Manchester City manager questioned by his own fans and other managers icon_razz.gif) 34 year old Kevin Campbell took his £35K a week wages of the tab at Everton, completing a free transfer to the Manchester club.

The Campbell development was significant for another much more sinister reason. My sources in the press were increasingly briefing me off the record that the likes of Smallwood of Aston Villa, Liggins of Middlesborough and Steel of Southampton were hovering like a pack of vultures over certain players in the Everton squad such as Gravesen and Yobo, preparing to revel in Murphy's financial misfortune and sink the Merseyside club deeper into a predicted relegation scrap if given the opportunity. Their disappointment at the Campbell deal was very satisfying indeed. In fact, not to be undone, Liggins even had the temerity to offer a pathetic £1m for right back Tony Hibbert, a player who looks very solid and potentially could be one of the best right backs in the Premiership this coming season. I'm afraid that Liggins will have to continue to look elsewhere or stick with the distinctly average Michael Reizeger.

Surprisingly, I also had one other offer for the much derided Campbell. What other manager could be needing their head examined? None other than the Don Corleone of the North East, who has been flashing his cash around this pre-season like an over zealous pimp and using his great financial advantage over the rest of the Premiership in an attempt to dominate the EPL before it has even begun, Jay DaCosta. icon_razz.gif

Using the Godfather's favourite tactic, DaCosta tried to put the squeeze on and bribe me into selling Alessandro Pistone for a paltry £1m pounds, by offering to take Campbell off my wage bill. However I have a message for DaCosta. Everton may be in dire straights but we aren't desperate (yet icon_wink.gif) and Newcastle will have to continue to look elsewhere for a full back of Pistone's quality....Psst: He's still yours for £2m. icon_biggrin.gif

In other news, the wage bill continues to sit at 80K over budget, guaranteeing a loss of a quarter of a million a month. Sam Bouchard finally stumped up some cash for James McFadden, who sealed a £1.5m switch to Spurs with a 20% sell to go to Everton. Marcus Bent was offloaded to Crystal Palace for £1.1m. As a result, Everton are currently very lightweight up front with Murphy pulling out of a deal to buy Argentinean U21 international Maxi Lopez at the 11th hour after a scout report finally arrived on the desk.

Currently we're relying on the promising, but unproven Maciej Zurawski, young Nick Chadwick and Leon Osman to provide a goal threat. Hardly the stuff to even terrify Pagi down at Bolton. Moves will have to be made in this department before the end of the transfer window.

Further defensive depth was added to the squad though as Aaron Hughes was signed for £975k from Newcastle United. I'm delighted with the signing of the Northern Ireland international who can play all across the back four and at 24 has plenty of years ahead of him to improve. The experienced Swedish international Teddy Lucic was also snapped up for £200k from Bayer Leverkusen and young Manchester United RB Rincon is awaiting a work permit.

With wage restrictions currently very much in place and the squad size reduced to a very small number I'm expecting a season of struggle ahead as the first game of the season against Blackburn at Ewood Park approaches. I'm just hoping Boult returns in time for this game to guarantee me a winning start to the campaign. icon_smile.gif

middlesborough.gif

***UPDATE***

After a ****-up at the FA this weekend (no, nothing to do with Faria Alam), all Saturday's games are having to be replayed, which is a bit of an arse, after a fine, comfortable 1-0 away victory at St Andrews on the opening day.

On a totally unrelated topic, you sorted your computer out yet Niall?

(Full update to come at the end of the transfer window, there's still plenty of deals out there to be had)

Archived