Crashes - Solution?

I've been doing a lot of research lately about Sony Memory Sticks* (that can be used for the PSP) after I subscribed to GO!VIEW to watch TV on my PSP. Now, with GO!VIEW your Memory Stick has to be MagicGate** supported. I checked mine*** and it said 'Unknown' so after contacting GO!VIEW they told me to save what I needed and format the Stick and then see if it says it supports MagicGate. Nope, it still says 'Unknown' so after searching the internet for a few minutes, I found other people with the same problem and there seems to be a unanimous answer: They're fake.

Naturally, I was disappointed about this, but then I stumbled across a little website where someone very knowledgeable said that crashes on these fake memory cards are very common. So, I remembered one of the threads about this in the past where someone had said the stopped using their Memory Stick and went back to using the one they got with their PSP. They didn't have any problems with crashing after that.

With all of this is mind, I would suggest checking if your MagicGate is supported or not. Please post whether your Memory Stick is supported or not (or unknown).

*Beware! Many Memory Sticks are Sony/Sandisk and MagicGate** branded but this does not necessarily mean they are manufactured by these companies or are MagicGate supported.

**MagicGate is a copy-protection technology from Sony. If you need more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagicGate

***On the your PSP Home page, highlight the Memory Stick icon, and press Triangle. A side menu will come up with one option, 'Information', press X here and an overview of your Memory Stick will come up.

Right, thanks. Have you formatted your Memory Stick (not forgetting to back up the data)?

If yes, could you trying 'Restore Default Settings' under 'System Settings' in the PSP Home menu. Remember to back up your data or remove your Memory Stick.

If no, could you give it a try. Remember to back up your data.

Thanks to ridley for that, let me know!

And thanks to bbuullddoogg for the support and his question. When it crashes, the game freezes for several seconds and then, possibly as a precaution to protect data, the PSP restarts its self.

I really need more feedback from other users on this! I can't do much with only two people giving me their Memory Stick info!!

I am buying several different sizes of Memory Sticks manufactured by Sony. Some will be fake while others will be real. I am also buying some made by SanDisk just to see the results.

Archived