What's the point of player values?

In my opinion they're pretty meaningless. I don't know, but i assume, that value is calculated using attributes and reputation.

This is, in my opinion, stupid. A players value is simply how much his club value him. So, for example, Shaun Wright Phillips' value at Chelsea is lower because he's lower down the pecking order than he was at Man City, where his value was twice as much as it is being rumoured now, even though it could be argued that he has improved as a player. Also it would make negotiating much more interesting, seeing how far below a player's value you can drag his club, or how high you can get a buying club above one of your player's value.

If a player is not for sale for example, his value could be something like 80million (I'm talking Kakas and Ronaldos here), which is exorbitant but for clubs like Chelsea, just about reachable, because as we all know, every man has his price.

So, what I'm attempting to get at here, is that value should not be a mathematical equation, but a representation of true market value.

Player value's main purpose I would guess is to facilitate the gamer. I take over some club full of players I've never heard of and have no knowledge of. If there is no 'player value' for any players then how am I supposed to know what is or isn't a reasonable starting point if someone makes an offer or I decide to sell him.

Everything you said is already in the game. There is a value that measures this that you can see using FM Modifier and Genie Scout called 'sale value'. If your scouts have a high enough CA/reputation they'll give you an estimate of this in their player report. You can take me at my word or you can spend a couple of hours checking it yourself. Check sale values and compare to their squad status. The best time to do this is before the season cross over. If a player's squad status gets bumped then the 'sale value' gets bumped along with it.

Players are deemed surplus and can be bought in and around their value if the needs be. Players who are transfer listed will go for cheaper than their player value (sale value < player value).

Player value (and hence sale value) gets bumped based on performance and reputation. In game goals/assists contribute to ratings hence strikers/attacking midfielders tend to have higher values than other positions. This can happen independent of Current Ability and Potential Ability. Sale value is also affected by the size of the club and their financial clout.

So yes from a realism perspective players should have no 'player value' assigned at all nor should it be visible, but from a gamer's perspective it is absolutely necessary in my opinion. They could I suppose add an option for the simulation enthusiasts that hides these much like attribute masking but I don't know what the logistics of implementing that would be, and if it would be worth the time and effort.

EDIT: Is it just on my end or is the forum slow at the moment?

It also helps calculate the club value. The players' values are added to club value, and the only calculation that the stock market and other speculators can give is based on reputation.

Robbie Keane, for example, was regularly valued at around £10-15million, but when he's in demand from a club like Liverpool he's worth a lot more - up to double, in fact. Same with a number of players. I doubt Schevchenko was included on Milan's books as £30million, nor Robhino on Real's at £38million (or whatever Chelski were going to pay), nor Gareth Barry at £18million, and... I could go on.

It HAS to be based on rep, I'm afraid. The club's value is very different because they know how much involvement they are expecting, and in many case the potential of that player. Wayne Rooney anyone?

Archived