Turning possesion into goals?

If i had a preferd choice of how the game would be played so it's pleasing on the eye it would be the Arsenal way!

i try and use tacics which will keep possesion and yet have attacking prowess which i can actually sit here and enjoy watching.

In my 2nd season as Ipswich Town manager after 11 games im 3rd in the league with 5 wins, 5 draws and 1 away defeat.. Im having vast amounts of possesion and more shots, but for some unknown reason im not scoring the goals. upfront i use or rotate. Counago, Tyson, Haynes and walters,

Last year counago got player of season with 15 goals in 38 games, Walters at 1 point was on fire and scored 15 goals in 25 games. according to my coach report Tyson and Counago are my best 2 strikers. Out of my 15 league goals they have only scored a combined total of 5. 15 goals in 11 games of which i had a 4-1 and a 4-0 means hitting the back of the net is very slim at the moment.

Allthough im enjoying my game experiance what do i do do turn this possesion into goals..

In your opinion is it my striker that are not good enough for this standerd of football ot is it down to tactics? even when i do open up the defence and it seems like i have a 1 on 1 the ball flies wide or over the bar or hits the inside of the bar and bounces out..

Did you make any tactical changes from last year to this year?

If not, it sounds like your strikers are low on confidence at the moment.

You know that they can do the job if the one was Player of the Season last year.

However, they may have low "Consistency" (hidden attribute) and therefore be prone to streaks of good form and bad form .. one of my clubs hit a similar patch where all three of my strikers went "cold" at the same time, and we ran off something like ten straight without a win ... once one of them turned it around, the others did too in fairly short order and we were back to winning ways.

So, from what you've said, that would be my primary diagnosis.

You might want to consider using some of the tools at your disposal, say, individual team-talks, Player Interaction, and the media questions, to try and build their confidence.

(Hint: for most slumping players, piling on the pressure / anger / disappointment just makes the situation worse... but for extremely determined or professional personalities, it can spur them on to do better.)

. . .

It could also be your tactics .. its not uncommon to see people wind up building tactics that "rush" things too much, leading to 30+ shots on goal in a game .. but too many of them are half-chances. If that's the case, its feeding the "cold streak" effect .. basically what happens is, the first several misses of a match cost your players any "fired up" motivation you may have given them with team-talks, and cause them to lose confidence .. while the first saves the opposition keeper makes get him playing with confidence .. to the point that your guys will start missing easy chances, or you'll see keeper after keeper win Man of the Match against you.

Tactics Forum has solutions to that problem.

Archived