Need help with 3d player icons.

erminio rizzo

In which directory have you put them?

They should be here > "....your user data folder\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\graphics\pitch\icons\kit". There are then 4 folders, large, medium, small and tiny.

Check that you have un-ticked 'use skin cache'. Exit the game and restart, then reload whatever skin you are using.

In which directory have you put them?

They should be here > "....your user data folder\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\graphics\pitch\icons\kit". There are then 4 folders, large, medium, small and tiny.

Check that you have un-ticked 'use skin cache'. Exit the game and restart, then reload whatever skin you are using.

thanks for replying i have done this but still no joy

You can try manually deleting the Skin Cache Folders, the location of which will vary depending on your OS:

* Win 2K/XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\Cache\

* Win 98/ME: C:\Windows\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\Cache\

* Mac OS X : /Users/<username/Library/Caches/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2008/Cache/

* Win Vista: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\cache\english

You may need to enable hidden folders - in the folder options menu select show hidden files, and untick Hide Protected OS Files.

Goto the Cache folder for your OS and delete the cache files from the english folder for each skin you use (assuming you play the game in english).

Load the game up and it should hopefully be working.

You can try manually deleting the Skin Cache Folders, the location of which will vary depending on your OS:

You may need to enable hidden folders - in the folder options menu select show hidden files, and untick Hide Protected OS Files.

Goto the Cache folder for your OS and delete the cache files from the english folder for each skin you use (assuming you play the game in english).

Load the game up and it should hopefully be working.

what do you mean by cache

To speed up the loading of the game, the game will save a copy of the graphics into cache files. (well not really the actual graphics - more the xml files, so it knows which graphics to load) However when you introduce new graphics (such as the 3D player icons) they are not saved into the cache file.

If you have the skin cache turned off, the game should recreate the cache each time you load it up with the files from your graphics folder. However sometimes it doesn't always reload all the graphics. A way to force it to load your new graphics is to delete the existing cache files - if you goto the Cache/English folder above for your computer, you should see several .SKC files named for each skin you use. Deleting these files will cause the game to recreate them next time you load the game and that should hopefully fix the problem you are having.

To speed up the loading of the game, the game will save a copy of the graphics into cache files. (well not really the actual graphics - more the xml files, so it knows which graphics to load) However when you introduce new graphics (such as the 3D player icons) they are not saved into the cache file.

If you have the skin cache turned off, the game should recreate the cache each time you load it up with the files from your graphics folder. However sometimes it doesn't always reload all the graphics. A way to force it to load your new graphics is to delete the existing cache files - if you goto the Cache/English folder above for your computer, you should see several .SKC files named for each skin you use. Deleting these files will cause the game to recreate them next time you load the game and that should hopefully fix the problem you are having.

were would i locate this.

in the skins folder?

OS - Operating System, Windows XP/Vista/Mac OS etc

As Michael posted above, the cache files will be located in different places depending on which operating system you use:

* Win 2K/XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\Cache\

* Win 98/ME: C:\Windows\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\Cache\

* Mac OS X : /Users/<username/Library/Caches/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2008/Cache/

* Win Vista: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\cache\english

Go to the folder and delete the .skc files within the folder, then reload the game.

OS - Operating System, Windows XP/Vista/Mac OS etc

As Michael posted above, the cache files will be located in different places depending on which operating system you use:

Go to the folder and delete the .skc files within the folder, then reload the game.

the thing is i dont have application datat.

mine is like this C:\Documents and Settings\erminio rizzo/Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008/skins

but all i can find are xml files

You didn't read Michael's post fully:

"You may need to enable hidden folders - in the folder options menu select show hidden files, and untick Hide Protected OS Files."

Easiest way to do that is go to 'control panel' then click 'folder options'. Go to 'view' then untick the check box.

You didn't read Michael's post fully:

"You may need to enable hidden folders - in the folder options menu select show hidden files, and untick Hide Protected OS Files."

Easiest way to do that is go to 'control panel' then click 'folder options'. Go to 'view' then untick the check box.

ok located the file. deleted skc file for black in 2 skin. went back into control panel and put it back to how it was. then open my football manager before i loaded my game i went into prefrences and press confirm to load skin. and then loaded my game played game but player icons still not showing.

am i doing something wrong

If you are using a custom skin you could try putting the files in the skin folder. It would be:

USER DATA FOLDER/Documents/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2008/skins/SKIN YOU ARE USING/graphics/pitch/icons/kit. If the folder(s) are not inside the skin folder, you will have to create them.

Before you start with can you check to see if the icons appear in the default FM2008 skin? If they work then great - we know they work and we can make them work with other skins. It could be that black 2 has it's own icons for players over-riding your new ones (or it's been badly made and includes the default icons when it doesn't need to).

If Black 2 is the skin you want to use go to:

C :\Documents and Settings\<user name>\My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\skins\

Now open Black 2's folder (not quite sure what it's called) and navigate to "graphics\pitch\icons\kit". There should be 4 folders in there 'tiny' 'small' medium' and 'large'. Simply over-write the files in there with the 3D player icons you've downloaded into the folders you want to change the icons for. I'm not sure if the 3D icons you downloaded have all 4 sizes - if not then just use the files to overwrite the 'medium' folder's icons and also the 'large' folder's icons.

If those folders don't exist then create them.

As always make sure you have 'use skin cache' NOT ticked. DO tick 'Always reload skin on confirm' then press the confirm button to reload black 2.

Before you start with can you check to see if the icons appear in the default FM2008 skin? If they work then great - we know they work and we can make them work with other skins. It could be that black 2 has it's own icons for players over-riding your new ones (or it's been badly made and includes the default icons when it doesn't need to).

If Black 2 is the skin you want to use go to:

C :\Documents and Settings\<user name>\My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\skins\

Now open Black 2's folder (not quite sure what it's called) and navigate to "graphics\pitch\icons\kit". There should be 4 folders in there 'tiny' 'small' medium' and 'large'. Simply over-write the files in there with the 3D player icons you've downloaded into the folders you want to change the icons for. I'm not sure if the 3D icons you downloaded have all 4 sizes - if not then just use the files to overwrite the 'medium' folder's icons and also the 'large' folder's icons.

If those folders don't exist then create them.

As always make sure you have 'use skin cache' NOT ticked. DO tick 'Always reload skin on confirm' then press the confirm button to reload black 2.

ok i have created a kits folder and put it in My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\skins\black in2/graphics/pitch. so it will be like this My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\skins\black in 2/graphics/pitch/icons/kits/kickoff-players/large small medium tiny.

i hope this is clear.

ok i have also deletead the skc file like advised and then confirm skins to load.

but still no joy on getting the 3d player icons in the game.

in the black in2 i had to create a kits folder.

Yes, get rid of the 'kickoff-players' folder.

You should have folders like this:

C :\Documents and Settings\<user name>\My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\skins\black in 2\graphics\pitch\icons\kits\

Inside that folder you should have 4 other folders:

\tiny

\small

\medium

\large

Inside each of the 4 folders you should have 60 different graphics files:

kit0.png, kit6.png... etc

Put the downloaded kit.png files inside the medium and large folders. No sub-folders or anything like that, just the image files.

If your download came with all 4 sizes then put them in the correct folders, tiney, small, medium or large.

Yes, get rid of the 'kickoff-players' folder.

You should have folders like this:

C :\Documents and Settings\<user name>\My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\skins\black in 2\graphics\pitch\icons\kits\

Inside that folder you should have 4 other folders:

\tiny

\small

\medium

\large

Inside each of the 4 folders you should have 60 different graphics files:

kit0.png, kit6.png... etc

Put the downloaded kit.png files inside the medium and large folders. No sub-folders or anything like that, just the image files.

If your download came with all 4 sizes then put them in the correct folders, tiney, small, medium or large.

cheers mate

ok

my download included the 4 files large medium small and tiny and each one of the files has a thumbs file. i have checked and the kito etc are all in the correct file.

so when i open my fm 08 do i go straight to prefrences and press confirm to load the images and thats it.

So are you saying it worked then?

If it hasn't then I really don't know what to suggest. We've gone through pretty much every step there is to get them working. You've either dodged a step or are misinterpreting instructions somehow. From what we've told you it should really be working.

So are you saying it worked then?

If it hasn't then I really don't know what to suggest. We've gone through pretty much every step there is to get them working. You've either dodged a step or are misinterpreting instructions somehow. From what we've told you it should really be working.

no it has not worked.

so i need to delete the skc file.

then do i just load my game as normal.

Yes if you have followed radestock's instructions and copied the player icons into the folder for the black in 2 skin, then deleting the skc file for that skin in the cache folder should make the game rebuild the cache with your new icons present, when you load the game up next.

what do you mean when you say copy player icons.

i have extracted the files into the relevant places.C :\Documents and Settings\<user name>\My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\skins\black in 2\graphics\pitch\icons\kits\

also do you need to start a new game to get them working.

also i needed to create the kits folder.

and in the kits folder are my large medium small tiny folders.

thanks for all the help but i still cant get the player icons to work. they are still the default ones.

everything else works. as i have downloaded some backgroud pics and some more face pics and they all work. it is just these icons i am having problems with.

Copy the player icons into the:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\graphics\pitch\icons\kit folder (so inside the kit folder you have the four folders: Large, Medium, Small and Tiny - you may also need to create the pitch\icons\kit folders).

Then load the game up, turn the skin cache off and select the default skin and see if they work.

Copy the player icons into the:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\graphics\pitch\icons\kit folder (so inside the kit folder you have the four folders: Large, Medium, Small and Tiny - you may also need to create the pitch\icons\kit folders).

Then load the game up, turn the skin cache off and select the default skin and see if they work.[/QUO

when you say copy do you mean i need to actually copy each icon and put them in the kit folder.

what i have done is extracted each folder large medium small and tiny and placed them in the kit folder.

so when you open the kit folder you have the four folders large medium small and tiny. but i have done this but it still does not work even on the default skin.

do you no what i mean?

There should be a 'kit' folder then in that 4 other folders (tiny, small, medium and large). In each of those folders there should be 60 different .PNG images - each one a slightly different angle of rotation. You need all 60.

So, once more from the top:

1. Extract the .rar or.zip file containing the player icons.

2. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\erminio rizzo\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\graphics\pitch\icons\kit\. Create it if you need to.

3. Place the tiny, small, medium and large folders you extracted in step 1 in the 'kit' folder

4. If you didn't get four folders when you extracted in step 1, you should at least have 60 .png graphic images. Create your own 4 folders (tiny, small, medium and large) in the kit directory and put the 60 images into each folder.

5. Select the default skin. Make sure skin cache is un-ticked and always reload skin on confirm is ticked. Click confirm in preferences.

I can't believe this has gone on for 30 replies :)

There should be a 'kit' folder then in that 4 other folders (tiny, small, medium and large). In each of those folders there should be 60 different .PNG images - each one a slightly different angle of rotation. You need all 60.

So, once more from the top:

1. Extract the .rar or.zip file containing the player icons.

2. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\erminio rizzo\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\graphics\pitch\icons\kit\. Create it if you need to.

3. Place the tiny, small, medium and large folders you extracted in step 1 in the 'kit' folder

4. If you didn't get four folders when you extracted in step 1, you should at least have 60 .png graphic images. Create your own 4 folders (tiny, small, medium and large) in the kit directory and put the 60 images into each folder.

5. Select the default skin. Make sure skin cache is un-ticked and always reload skin on confirm is ticked. Click confirm in preferences.

I can't believe this has gone on for 30 replies :)

thanks for that but i have just checked the 4 folders and medium small and tiny has 60 icons but large folder only has 2.

could that be the reason

good news guys got them working thanks for all the help.

basicall what i did was extrat the four folders in to my graphics folder so it was like this C:\Documents and Settings\erminio rizzo\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\graphics\pitch\icons\kit\ then what i did was copy the four folders and pasted them in C :\Documents and Settings\<user name>\My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\skins\black in 2\graphics\pitch\icons\kits\

and know they are working.

cheers again

Archived