Likes to beat offside trap and moves into channels v off the ball

i've been thinking. If you want a poacher striker does he really need off the ball ability or can you just compensate with the 2 ppms?

The way I see it the 2 ppms restrict off the ball attribute because it takes away the players choice and instead says 'you do that'. So can you just compensate striker who has lots of pace and perhaps anticipation but with poor off the ball with the 2 ppms?

i've been thinking. If you want a poacher striker does he really need off the ball ability or can you just compensate with the 2 ppms?

The way I see it the 2 ppms restrict off the ball attribute because it takes away the players choice and instead says 'you do that'. So can you just compensate striker who has lots of pace and perhaps anticipation but with poor off the ball with the 2 ppms?

If you tell him to try and beat the off-side trap and he has low off the ball movement he'll just get caught offside all the time.

If you tell him to try and beat the off-side trap and he has low off the ball movement he'll just get caught offside all the time.

Isnt that more to do with anticipation? Off the ball i presumed to be being able to find space. Anticipation is being able to read the game and predict when a pass is going to be made. A player with high anticipation would therefore be able to time his runs better.

@y2k1: If I cue my run off the ball off of the defender by... I don't know... his sticking his tongue out?..... then it doesn't matter how well I anticipate things. "Off the ball" is the summary of how well the player exploits space and movement (his and others) when not in possession and in attack. Without a strong understanding of space, strategy, and the game plan, anticipation isn't going to count for much. That's how I think of it at least. "Off the ball" is the capacity. "Anticipation" is a contributing factor to achieving that capacity.

I mean, as far as the English language goes, it could go either way. As far as the game goes, OTB is the limiting skill here.

Archived