Macbook Pro- game running EXTREMELY slowly

Hi guys, hope you can help me.

I'm in 2020 now and have a medium database with 6 leagues loaded. I'm noticing that my game is running ridiculously slow now, to the point where it's unplayable.

When I say slow, the 3D match and the general gameplay are fine, no problems at all. But when I'm advancing days it's taking 5 minutes to get to the next day, and when I want to save my game again it's taking a full 5 minutes, sometimes even longer. I've opened up Activity Monitor to see if I can see any reason for this, and I've noticed that when i'm advancing (or saving) and the coloured wheel starts spinning, 'Football Manager' turns red on Activity Monitor, and the 'Force Quit' option becomes available. However, the game doesn't crash despite feeling like it will at any moment, it just takes 5+ minutes before to complete the process.

If anyone can shed any light on this, or offer any help it'd be much appreciated. I have a Macbook Pro that isn't even 2 years old so I'm sure it should be able to handle FM :(

Cheers.

Try turning it off and then on again.

No, seriously though, how often do you shut down / restart your MBP? I first noticed how important this was on mine when I was setting up a new game and it said the CPU performance was half a star (and, as a result, predicted game speed was half a star as well). I quit FM, restarted the computer, started FM up again and it was at 4.5 stars, boosting the game speed too. I've noticed FM tends to make my MBP heat up a fair bit, so shutting it down and letting it cool off for a bit might help with your game speed as well. Also, try to not have many other applications open at the same time.

I've added a couple of league but removed about 10!

My macbook has 4BG of RAM, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and is OS X 10.6.8.

No, even when I just have FM (and Steam) running it's really struggling. Also noticing that my save game files are really big, 900mb after 9 seasons, surely this isn't right?

That sounds crazy. I am 18 years into my save and some 4-5 seasons ago I added some 20 leagues. My save is 150mb.

But I seem to remember something about adding/removing leagues from Brazil and Argentina will make the amount of players in the database sky rocket to 2-300000 players. The amount of players in my database is quite stable around 65000 players.

Yeah I don't understand it at all, taking 4-5 minutes just to process 1 day in pre-season, really frustrating. Ah, I do have Brazil and Argentina loaded....would you suggest I removed those then? Where can you find out the number of players in your database?

If you have an almost complete scouting system (that I do) you can just use the 'search player' option in FM. Else you can use GenieScout.

I don't think it'll help to remove the Brazil and Argentine leagues as the players will still be in the database until they retire from age or not being able to find new club. And that'll probably take a good few years.

my scouts found 160,700 players and that's probably not all of them, so yeah it seems like Brazil and Argentina add a hell of a lot to the game. I might still remove the leagues anyway, won't do any harm! Cheers mate.

Archived